In the market..... doing my share to stimulate the economy.... | FerrariChat

In the market..... doing my share to stimulate the economy....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jag-oo-r, Apr 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    #1 jag-oo-r, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Hey all! I've been in lurking mode for awhile; life got busy.

I find I'm jonesing hard for my first Ferrari. This has happened before, and then something comes up and I put it off. I'm really, really struggling rationalizing this purely selfish purchase.... it takes very little to dissuade me, and then I just come back and dream some more. ::sigh::

I've budgeted "under $80k".
    This year I'll turn 50, and I want to enjoy Ferrari while I'm young. Wife agrees with me, but absolutely does not understand the passion, need, desire, etc. Frankly, she's right that it's not pragmatic. Her experience with Ferrari is limited to two exclusives: a 348ts we went and drove together, which she didn't like. (Seat eas uncomfortable) She shrugged her shoulders, looked away and said "but it's not my car, it's yours". The kiss of death, right there. Her other experience was the California we rented in Europe 3 years ago, which she enjoyed. It was all very civilized.
    But she can't understand why my track-prepared Porsche 986 doesn't fill the need for me.

So I could use some direction. Keep in mind I'm a racer and a DIY guy. I'm actually a quite competent mechanic, but I'm almost 50. Haha.

I love the f355. I really love the sound. But i'd need the GTS 3-pedal. And, given known issues like exhaust manifolds valve guides, etc, I'm afraid to buy a cheap one. I might be over budget here. I understand maintenance is still a major ordeal on this car.

The 360 gets most of the sounds right. I understand it's pretty reliable and service / maintenance schedule isn't bad. I can't seem to shed the idea that it's a lightweight..... maybe a poseurs car? It's not fair because I haven't driven one. But I see so many of these with terrible wraps, lowered, wings, undercarriage lighting, etc. And I assume lots of deferred maintenance.

That brings me to the California. In my budget, I'm looking at a '10. Again, I understand they're pretty reliable and maintenance is simple. I know the wife is okay with it. The "back seat" means we can take her dog, so she's more likely to go places with me. Yes, that's a plus. (I quite like her) The car is beautiful, but it doesn't light my fire quite the way the f355 does. I'm nervous about the ability to make it SOUND right. You can tell that sound is a very, very big part of this equation for me. Can a tubi or capristo transform it into something a little.... um.... nastier?

Those are the 3 cars on my radar right now. I'd appreciate opinions on these, or others in the budget which I might be overlooking.

My dealer, frankly, sucks. I've been doing business with them for 28 years, because they're the only game in town for Italian cars. And they suck. They won't have any of these cars, and if they did, they'd be entirely uninterested in getting off their chairs to sell it to me. I'm convinced they are the reason that there is no Italian- car enthusiast organization (including FCA) in my area, despite having motorsports-mecca around the corner from us. So i'm sorta on my own here.

Thanks

2. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I recently bought a 355 GTS for 93k (with a recent major completed) and put another 7k in to fix rattles, sqweaks, shifter issues, etc. I would think 115k would be about right to get it into a very well sorted shape. Maybe in this market you can get that done for 100k but I think unfortunately you’re going to be well over 80. It is an amazing machine though so if you can swing it, it may be worthwhile.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Spend a long time reading the existing information & answers about the models that interest you in their specific sections as well as the regular 'which ferrari for my budget' threads in this section

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    omg. im sorry.
    355 and cali? if you want a ferrari, a 355. if you want a maserati, get a cali.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm going to throw a curveball in. 80k max? 456 6-speed? MAYBE, a 550?

Any interest in the front engined cars?

I'm a 348 owner. if you want the raw, track feel, totally analogue, easy to DIY, that's your winner, you can always get more comfortable seats.

sjd

EnzoItaly and ILLA NOIZ like this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Op...will you track the ferrari at all? Do you want a driver our more garage queen? Was 986 ever a street car and how much did wife ride in it? Will you do the maintenance on ferrari? Do you have all tools for your 986 trackcar like scales, alignment tools? If you broke at track are you more likely to tow home or fix it in the paddock?

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    btw a 360 is a great substitute to the 355 in stock form but a stock 360 sounds like a lawn mower so you will need to add an exhaust if you go 360.

8. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Thank you, all of you, for your replies. I'll try to respond to the couple of themes going here.

The 986 was supposed to be a street car when I bought it, but two things happened: 1) I realized just how good the mid-engine layout is at the racetrack and 2) that the wife and dog weren't going places in it. Yes, the wife and I did a couple of PCA trips and Sunday drives in it, but we found we were more-frequently taking her Mini Cooper convertible places, so the dog could come along. This should be telling me something.

It is unlikely I'll track the Ferrari. Perhaps a DE or two, but I worry about the finicky future-buyer who will invariably ask "has it been tracked?" Maybe I shouldn't care? I want to drive the car, not park it. But I guess for me, outside of Mortgages and a Student loan, this is going to be the largest single-purchase I've ever made. I'll be financing every dime over $50k. I don't want to watch that investment dwindle-away.

DIY and repairs at the track? I used to be known in the paddock as the guy who could fix anything with a sawzall and a die-grinder, haha. Yes, I'm more likely to fix it than tow it. (depending on what it is, of course. Last year I lost both a trans and a motor. separate weekends).

Yes, I have interest in the front engine'd cars. The 550 and 612 seem a little out of my budget. the 456? I've read too many threads on this forum that say due to maintenance, it was "the most expensive Ferrari I've owned". That's not the direction I'd like to go, haha. Unless some of y'all know that a DIY'er can mitigate all that cost? Which really, begs a question: what can a DIY'er DO on the more modern cars? I read on this forum yesterday that the shocks can't be replaced on the Cali without a dealer coding-them into the computer to shut-off the warning light. Is that so? I don't find lots of DIY support for any car on the list other than the 348.

9. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I had a 10 Cali and all I did was worry that the top or tranny would fail and cost me a fortune. I’d do the 360, there a one owner 3 pedal for sale right now at 79k. In car belt changes, and engine under glass.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  10. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Point me to that 360? All of them I see in that price range are paddle.... and I read that's unfulfilling. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    How big is the dog?

sjd

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Races Boxsters and then questions whether the 360 is a poseurs car.. I kid. I kid.. :)

I read the word "investment" and the hair on the back of my neck went up. I can guarantee that you WILL loose money on this car or whatever Ferrri you buy at that price. Guarantee it. If you buy now just watch the car "value" drop in the next few months.

That being said. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but if the 355 is THE Ferrari for you, then go for it. Get it. You can do most of the maintenance on it yourself. It's fairly analog and if you love EVERYTHING about it, get the 355 and only the 355. I personally have known too many peeps that lost their shirt with one, or its always in the shop.. that I consider it something that I won't write here.

Of course your wife liked the Cali. It's not designed as a sports car, its designed as a car for the family. If I get rid of my 911 in the future and Cali prices drop... I'll entertain one to put our little one in back like the 911 and go for a drive. The rub is.. its more Maserati than a Ferrari.

As far as 360. Yeah right now poseurs are driving them. They have modern looks and feel and comfort without looking too dated with the modern design language. But, I can say for mine.. it is a REALLY nice car to own and drive. Ive been driving on weekends, put the car in the garage and then repeat next weekend. No issues. Last year a lock cylinder went but it was 2-3 hours to replace it and $200-300 bucks. I'm a DIY guy and everything is so much easier to fix than my 986 or 997 its not funny. For certain things you need a scanner. Oh.. and as far as handling and driving. Sure, at low RPMs the car is less refined than the 986 I had. But.. when you get to 8k RPM and are driving the car at the limit.. it's a handful and surprisingly capable. Even dangerous. :) Which I like.

As far as paying for it, I made payments on mine for 3 years fully financed at the depths of the recession. If you have a stable job, you'll be fine. If it's questionable.. perhaps consider holding off a few months as prices drop for the cash buy. Mine had "issues" when I bought it but was drivable. That let me space out the restoration on my time and budget. Worked for me now going on 10 years of ownership. Good luck.

Shamile, Performify and 19633500GT like this.
  13. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not sure where you are located but if you want to drive a 360 I live just north of Atlanta.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    360 is a classic. definitely not a poseur car!

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
  16. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    ah, yes. I've been looking at spiders. I'm a drop-top kinda guy.
    Any thoughts / concerns about the Spider vs the Modena?

17. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Haha, now that's some perspective, haha. But I will admit, there's something deeply satisfying in going around a much faster car in that 986. It is surprisingly capable at the track. Under powered, no question. but also under-priced / under-appreciated. I am not a Porsche-phile, but the giggles-per-buck ratio is very high on the 986 S.

As for investment; yes, I count on losing money. I always do on cars. I'm fine with that. But I don;t want to lose ALL of it.... y'know? ;-)

I'm glad to hear you DIY on your 360. that encourages me. Any thoughts on Spider vs Modena?

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If you like drop tops, Spider is more fun, sounds better, closer to the action, get a suntan, stung by wasps etc. 360 spider hugely more sophisticated mechanism than 355 spider/gts. But more wobbly than Modena.

Try and find a cared for gated 430 with higher miles...would be your dream car.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So.. on 986's.. after my 02' 986 and that stupid soft top window cracking and then leaking around the sewn edges.. I vowed no more soft tops. :)

If you are a open air guy, and the 360 spider is a REALLY nice car for that open air experience, the only rub you'll have maintenance wise centers around the front of the engine compartment and how the soft top stows. When its folded down it's like when the boxster top is down, it blocks the top part of the fuel tanks, some of that evaporative emission stuff and fuel pumps. I don't recall all the details, but for some servicing in the front of the engine to the top of the fuel tanks you have to lift the soft top up to gain access. Everything else is the same as I understand. The top is made by a german company and uses similar components to mercedes tops. When it doesn't close and starts giving errors it's usually because of the hydraulic cylinders leaking and microswitches sticking. Basically the synchronization gets out of whack as a result and the top then won't open or close. read about capote flap as well. you could probably work on the top regardless. It's as a PITA to redo the top as the boxster (which I didn't do BTW). Otherwise it's a hydraulic based top. Def. Doable just plan on rebuilt cylinders at one point as the seals at near 20 years may give issues.

The modena does not have this and is like any hard top car to repair. I will want you though, the modena is designed with an understeer. You can attenuate it, but I left it stock. The rubber on the multilink suspension in the 986 (and my 997 now as well) really does make the handling of the porsche smooth in the corners. I noticed it most at initiation of turn to apex. Boxster just glides/ballet dances into the turn. The 360 has fixed A-arms to the chassis so it's less compliant. Handling at the limit in the turn is also more "nervous". But it makes the drive much more engaging.

20. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Just to update this thread;
    Yesterday I purchased a BEAUTIFUL, Well-Known-to-Ferrarichat Members '06 F430 Spider.
    Couldn't be more happy. (Well, maybe if it came with a spot to put the wife's dog).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster, DIGMAN52, SRLC716 and 7 others like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    355 is definitely more of the visceral Ferrari experience, that said, the Cali is one of my favorites as well! But I love Maserati (pre-FCA) too!

It depends on one's needs and wants.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful, what a wonderful update. Enjoy my friend! do post your experiences in the F430 forum, we're excited to hear about your thoughts and views.

Cheers

Thecadster likes this.