Any thoughts on the 348 on BaT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Any thoughts on the 348 on BaT

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355dreamer, Mar 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Great buy, hope you enjoy the car!

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    They look great in photos, but after a short while I'd repaint back to silver as well.

3. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I followed your purchase on BAT with great interest (I too purchased my 348 TS on BAT in September). I thought your silver Spider car to be well bought and I sincerely wish you good luck with accident free ownership. Since your vehicle was once wrapped in black are the mirrors also wrapped? Silver Ferrari's are awesome. Mine is black.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

allandwf and Wade like this.
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Another good point. Maybe the mirrors are still wrapped. If so, easy fix!

5. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Ok, after a few days of concentrating on other things, I can update this thread with some new info. First, the good. My insurance company is pretty challenging when it comes to anything beyond the average appliance-like vehicle. They wanted an inspection done by a certified mechanic to confirm the car is in good operating condition. I am guessing their checklist is similar to the inspections some states require. I took it to an independent shop here that specializes in German cars, but they do other work as well. Very competent and very well respected. They were quite impressed with the lack of anything leaking ("Very dry underneath, even though the engine/trans have oil in them!" was their comment) Also, very minimal scrapes, etc. underneath. The only item for the inspection that they noted (and I knew in advance) was old (VERY old) tires. They also advised me the driver side wheel side CV boot has a tear. Overall, a very good experience with good news. The limited driving I was able to do also was great. The car is definitely better than I expected. Sure, there are some things to be addressed, but they are minor and the car is very solid.

Now, the not so good. We have not been able to get my wife (the real convertible enthusiast) ergonomically comfortable. With the controls all a bit on the heavier effort end of the spectrum, being properly set up is crucial for her enjoyment when driving the car, and even more important is safety. Although we haven't given up, I am feeling like this might not end up being the right car for us. If it was just me, no problem. But she has always loved fun cars, and I can't see keeping this if she can't enjoy it as much as I do. I guess we will see how things go in the near term and make a decision. Sigh.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and kind words. As great as the car is, without great people around, it wouldn't be much fun.

zd

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Buy her a Miata. Keep the 348. :)

Wade likes this.
  7. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    She is much more likely to enjoy an S2000! (she drove a 2007 for over 7 years)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have read this scenario outlined out here before.

9. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Still experimenting with the ergonomics. Just not optimistic at the moment. At least the steering column is adjustable for height :)

10. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    You might look into a spacer for the steering wheel. I found that it helps tremendously. Get the steering wheel closer so that your arms aren't so outstretched and you have better leverage for steering at low speeds.

steved033 likes this.
  11. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thank you !

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  13. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Have you considered an electric power steering kit (for your wife). Also, Hagerty Insurance was my choice of insurance company. They accepted my estimated value ($50K) without a fuss... and despite being garaged in NJ, the insurance "only" cost me $1K per year.

steved033 likes this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I cnc"d billet aluminum rails that tips the front of the seat up, that may help to do something like that.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Anytime! I think I have another set somewhere.

18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I completely forgot about that. and get the 2" Hill one. it's a HUGE difference. (I needed it for the leg room under the wheel. I'm 6'3")

sjd

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #69 Ferrarium, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    I have them but not installed yet, it will be part of carpet and interior/stereo update, shift box linkage service etc. There are 2 sets one set is normal and the other is wider to more easily allow heel toe its the PS01HT set. https://www.hillengineering.co.uk/interior-parts/pedals/ps01ht

It is 1/2" or so wider if I recall I can check for you if you need, my plan was to slide the accelerator pedal all the way towards the brake and if needed slightly offset the brake cover as well.

Can get custom as well.
    https://ultimatepedals.com/

20. zipdang

zipdang Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thread revival!

Our car should be listed on BaT in the near future. It really is a fun car, just not a car my wife will use fearlessly at any time.

I want to thank all of the FChat folks who offered encouragement, advice and friendship. I learned a lot from many of you, and searching old threads provided a wealth of information. The car will be missed, but it was indeed fun while it lasted.

Ciao!

zd

steved033 likes this.