488 - [Advice Requested] About to pull the trigger on my first Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 [Advice Requested] About to pull the trigger on my first Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 8th_Sin, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #26 RayJohns, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    You have to be very careful shopping for a car on paper or based on what a bunch of people on a forum think. That's like allowing your parents to influence who you marry. It's easy to sit back in your office and think you're making the wise Ferrari choice, but then when you're actually sitting in the car at a stoplight, you realize maybe you made the wrong choice.

It's kinda like women and relationships. On paper, someone might seem perfect for you, but once you move in together, you realize you can't live together and your life becomes a living hell. There is an element of this to the whole 458 vs. 488 debate. On paper, the 488 seems great - faster, quicker, better brakes, updated this, newer that. But in reality the 458 is the woman that you can live with; fall in love with; and which always takes your breath away every time you see her - and most importantly, always puts a smile on your face.

Anyone who's had a lot of relationships and/or who has been divorced or had mistresses knows this: there is a very big difference between a woman you can live with and one you cannot live without.

If you're the type of person who is very particular about things in life and/or who has grown up dreaming about one day owning a Ferrari, then the 458 is really the culmination of what Ferrari has long been (and represented) since its inception. The 458 Italia encompasses all that unexplainable Ferrari magic which allows you to fall in love with your car, not just to drive it. When I sold my 458 to Ferrari of SF, I parked it out front, took a photo and then went over and kissed it goodbye on the roof. It wasn't just a car - it was a loyal partner; it was a part of a dream I had had since I was very young and very poor... and it will be missed. Of the 4 Ferraris I've owned, it was far and away the most enjoyable.

The only other Ferraris I have ever driven that seem like they could be as much fun to own are the v12 Lusso and the 812 Superfast - and by extension I'm guessing the F12.

So why isn't the 488 among this list then?

The 488 was certainly faster on the road; yet somewhere along the line, the people at Ferrari lost so much of what a Ferrari should be when building the 488, that I personally just couldn't warm up to the car. The 488 felt to me like a committee of non-car people had sat around a desk and decided that instead of creating something brand new, they'd just see if instead they could take a 458 and make it better somehow - and somewhere along the way, in my opinion, they failed. Sure, it's still a Ferrari. Sure, I'd still own it over a Porsche or a Mclaren, but it definitely seems to lack some of the intangible elements that the 458 had.

The 458 represents the last of what Ferrari has long been and what has made Ferrari V8's and V12's so sought after. The 488 is a glimpse into what Ferrari will ultimately become, now that Enzo is gone; now that Luca Cordero di Montezemolo has stepped down; and now that Ferrari is a public company. All of this has a lot of people quietly concerned with the future of the company. As a Wall Street trader/investor myself, you only have to read through the company's financial filings briefly to see that there are a lot of alarming changes taking place at the company. The focus is no longer on exclusivity, nor keeping their dyed-in-the-wool Ferrari loyalists happy. Instead, it's shifted over to selling as many cars as humanly possible and making Ferrari into more of a luxury/lifestyle brand, just like Rolex, Bulgari, or Tiffany & Co. What would Enzo say? I bet it wouldn't be good.

For a lot of us, me included, it's a sad day. I grew up watching Magnum PI driving around in a red Ferrari and dreaming of the day I'd make a million dollars - largely so I could buy my first Ferrari. It's part of what fueled me to never quit and keep working 18 hour days until one of my businesses finally hit big. I still vividly remember driving my first Ferrari home over the golden gate bridge, as though it was yesterday. This new direction of Ferrari might end okay, but it's hard to predict. For me, if things are heading towards electric cars, I'd just as soon own a Tesla. When it comes to owning a Ferrari, I want that to involve a N/A V8 or V12 that screams for its life as I make my way from point A to point B - and not a god-damn-thing-less.

My view is this: if what you are after is a car which moves your soul and you want to experience part of what has long made Ferrari, Ferrari, then you want a 458. If you just want to go fast, then a Porsche or 488 or McLaren will probably suffice. Ultimately, whatever Ferrari you decide on, just make sure it's the Ferrari that you can't live without, not the one at the best price or the one you think you can live with.

When you find the right woman, you know; nobody needs to tell you. Same with a Ferrari. When you find the right car, you'll know - and you won't need a bunch of people on an internet forum to tell you.

Ray

Challenge, jomarti1, IloveGT and 11 others like this.
  2. 8th_Sin

8th_Sin Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sean Busby
    This is really well stated and worded. Thank you for taking the time to write it up.

For context, I grew up in a farm in Idaho where seeing anything outside of a truck was rare. Owning anything on the caliber of Ferrari was a pipe dream and all are emotional to me, so I'm trying to get past the initial "OMG I'm driving a Ferrari" and something I would love 10 years down the road. This is where the forum comes in. Leveraging crowdsourcing of opinions and filtering through the noise still gives a glimpse of several people's opinions and probably comes out directionally the right choice.

"Make sure it's the Ferrari that you can't live without, not the one at the best price or the one you think you can live with."
    - This statement resonates with me

RayJohns likes this.
  3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Ray, I couldn’t agree more. Like rolling sculpture:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

RayJohns likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Took my hat off to you Ray while reading this.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

RayJohns likes this.
  5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Those 458's are nice! I drove many and ended up buying the 488 GTB which knocked my socks off! Loved the looks, the sound, the interior, it does it all... Just a stunningly beautiful car! So, as for you? Buy what makes your heart beat! As everyone has there own reasons for buying their dream car! "DREAM CAR" (that's what this really is all about)

gmo28, LVP488, mdrums and 2 others like this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Warm congratulations, Thomas.

Seen a grigio 458 in the flesh once. No photo does it complete justice. It’s to die for. Fell head over feet for it. Incredibly classy.

Sorry for the off topic. Keep enjoying in good health!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

wthensler and Graz like this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  8. 8th_Sin

8th_Sin Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sean Busby
    I can't believe I can't find a decent 458 in Arizona to drive! Now I'm itching to experience this in real life

9. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Never paid much attention to 458 vs 488 discussions. Interesting info for sure. I can definitely see the appeal of the 458. I went with the 488 and would do it again. Prefer the looks of the 488 from every angle, like having the latest technology - newer / fresher car and wanted the full warranty on my first Ferrari.

gmo28, mdrums, Mighty Joe and 2 others like this.
  10. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Me too.....Love the 458, but those 488's just make my heart flutter!!! Yours is beautiful!!! 488's in RED...wow!

11. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    Recently purchased my first Ferrari.

I may have had an advantage over others as I have some friends with multiple cars.
    Drove a 2019 488 spider a friend needed to sell. 340 list with 1800 miles ..beautiful car and was offered to me at 265k
    he needed out, drove my friends 458 coupe many times.

long story short...I purchased a 2014 458 with 540 miles on it , was just garage jewelry for someone.
    I got 2 yrs of Ferrari warranty.

The Ferrari dealer I went to told me to buy the 488. Said drive it for 2 yrs and sell and get your money back.

I still went with 458.

I also own a Lambo Huracan, Porsche Turbo S and a 964 Turbo Porsche.
    All different and all great. I really wanted the new F8. Drove that and maybe someday, but for now ...458 for sure.

Mike

12. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Nice write up ,what did you replace the 458 with?

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Nothing yet. I briefly had a 488 GTB, but got rid of it as fast as possible. Just not the car for me.

We are in the process of selling a couple of homes and moving down south. Once I get settled, I'm thinking about either buying another 458 or perhaps looking into getting an F12.

Right now I'm turning my old Toyota Pickup into a freeway cruiser for around southern CA basically. That's taking up all my free time, but it's a fun project. I'm currently in the middle of upgrading the brakes. So for the moment, no Ferrari in the garage - just the pickup truck up on jack stands :)

Ray

15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The world was going through the GFC but not us Aussies. We were booming. Had the chance , actually easy to buy my first Ferrari 458 and didnt. I just hate the front and no side air intakes. So wait for the next car 488 GTB. and again had to wait. Speced her the way i wanted and love her.

Go with the car that excites you. If you can find a 458 that is right go for it but the ones im seeing here just look tired. We drive our cars here !

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    "On paper" (well, on this web site at least) the 458 is far superior to the 488.
    Indeed, personnally I would not choose based on that ;)
    (disclaimer: as my nickname tells, I have a 488... and would not change it for a 458. I considered changing it for a Pista, then for an F8, but could not justify the price gap).

Mighty Joe likes this.
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    It’s far from being just this website ;)

And if you like the 488, I think you’d love the Pista. It’s the GTB you already know and love, but everything is sharper. Although I agree it’s hard to justify these emotional buys, you only live once. I think you should go for it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Ah come on, Ray! “Thinking” about buying another 458? After reading your eloquent posts in this thread again, you KNOW you need another one! :cool:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

RayJohns likes this.
  19. Msoldani

Msoldani Rookie

Feb 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    mike soldani
    Where at in AZ? I bought my 458 spider in Scottsdale and had it shipped to CA. Should be able to find one to drive easily

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I also wouldn't mind owning an F40
    No, I totally agree with you - having another 458 would be great.

Most of what is keeping me from getting another 458 right now relates mainly to the fact that we are in the process of selling our house and moving to southern CA.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Would love to have another 458 enthusiast in SoCal!!

RayJohns likes this.
  22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks man. Yeah, Monterey is great and all, but it's hard to beat Southern CA weather. My girlfriend is from Texas and so far has only experienced CA up here.

We are moving down south to live by the beach for a while. The plan is to use our pickup truck down there around the coast, but another 458 sure would be nice too :)

Ray

23. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I drive around my Honda Ridgeline (my pseudo truck). It's congested down here and I don't trust anyone that parks next to me.

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, that's sort of where I'm coming from also. My Toyota pickup has no straight panels on it, so I don't have to sweat out where I park. I should have it on the road soon. It's been a fun project and once I'm done I figure it will last me until I die.

Ray

ridege55 likes this.
  25. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Got my 488 2 months ago and never considered the 458, looked dated and lacked tech. Also didnt want something older than the Huracan I was trading in. Was never a Ferrari fanboy but really liked the looks of the 488, really enjoying the car but one thing I miss about my Lambo is the cool charging Bull logo, prancing horsey not the same. And not being a typical Ferrari owner bought Blue

Attached Files: