1997 355 Airbag diagnostic connector | FerrariChat

1997 355 Airbag diagnostic connector

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mats Andersen, Apr 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Hi!

After winter hibernation, first startup there was a new "bug". the airbag lamp remained on.
    Regardless of the cause, I took the manual and read in it.
    I found that I can work on the faults by shorting the diagnostic connector pin1 to ground. It will enable me to diagnose but also reset fault..

In the footwell I find 2 connectors, one seem to go to the Bilstein control unit, and the other (with the yellow insulation seem to be coming from the airbagECU. but.. that one has only 2 wires and none of them go to pin nr 1.
    The drawing in manual show a connector with three wires and the man on the drawing is working on PIN 1...

is this connector to be found elsewhere?

any tips appreciated!
    The attached photo shows the 2 connectors to chose from

Mats
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    This is normal on later cars, Mats. Irrespective, no Ferrari 355 owner has been able to use pin 1 (or other pins) to activate the test whatever type of airbag ECU or test plug has been fitted. The workshop manual is wrong. A Ferrari SD tool must be used to interrogate the system.

Yellow is indeed the Airbag diagnostic. All the airbag wiring is yellow sheathed for easy identification.

Have you been working on the instrument binnacle? The most common reason for the airbag light is turning on the ignition with the instrument binnacle wiring disconnected. The Airbag ECU monitors the light circuit.

3. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Ahh thanks for very useful info. hm. I will have to obtain the SD tool then...

Again thank you very much!

Mats

Qavion likes this.
  4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am not sure this is entirely correct at least 1brave one has tried, I remember someone many years ago claiming it worked but they could not give me anything concrete, and many of us not quite as brave because of vague instructions tried.

If anyone has tried and it has not worked I would be interested in hearing about it.

I also had someone try to reset mine with an sd3 and they could not.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I should explain that I am unsure if they really knew how to though

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Dave Rocks (StickyRx) corrected me when I said it could be done. He has experimented with both types of ECU.

7. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Can’t be done by that footwell short. Doesn’t work.

I’ve taken my car twice to the dealer for SD2 fault clear.

Qavion likes this.