Throttle body cleaning | FerrariChat

Throttle body cleaning

Discussion in '360/430' started by KILOCHARLIE, Oct 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Removed my maf's today and have been cleaning then with maf cleaner. While they are off I want to remove the throttle bodies and clean these also. Do I need to use a specific throttle body cleaner for this or will standard electrical cleaner or similar suffice? Can't see any reason why not but thought I would check.

Also I want to open and close the throttle body when off the car to clean all inside the joints and on both sides etc. How can I do this properly as I guess since it is a fly by wire operated part there'll be no lever to open and close it manually? Other forums suggest just pushing the flap open and closed manually but I am scared I might force something that might break.

Finally I want to clean the exterior so it looks good in the engine bay. I've tried degreaser and polish previously but nothing brings it up. Anyone have any suggestions? The metal parts are made from quite poor steel so don't look great to say the least.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I used a little help from my buddy to open the valve

Just turn the key to "on" position and let my buddy sit in the driver seat and step on gas pedal.

3. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    +1; but I think at key ON the flap opens and closes anyway with or without the throttle, but have not verified on my 430, just on other fly-by-wire vehicles I operate.

NEVER FORCE a fly-by-wire Throttle body, they are servo driven and have gears that will strip (in most cases)

4. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Good tip. Will try it later and if not get my ever enthusiastic girlfriend to hold the pedal down! Thanks.

Any ideas on cleaning the exterior metal up? It looks the cheapest grade on the whole car.

5. BMWManiac

BMWManiac Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Aberdeen, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You can try using brasso and a rag....or buy a can of the Eagle One stuff (the name escapes me right now) that come sin a can...it is the cloth/brasso combination. You just grab some of it and see if it will polish it up a bit.

6. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone try painting the throttle body?

I'm considering using some VHT Grey Wrinkle paint. Obviously will have the battery off when I remove them and tape the hell out of anything I don't want painted.

Thoughts?

c928jon likes this.