Spare wheel well | FerrariChat

Spare wheel well

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ray F, Apr 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    #1 Ray F, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Hi all, I’m about to remove my 308 GTS spare wheel well to repaint it. Are there any gotchas I need to be wary of that you could warn me about? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's not a difficult job, but separating the tub from the body/glue is a bit tedious. In my opinion, well worth the effort. Being able to remove the tub to access components below it is a major plus.

The truth likes this.
  3. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
  4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just had mine out (actually, just put it back in). There is sealant along the top edge and around the spare tyre mount - it will have gone hard. Very carefully drill out the 35 (I think) rivets. The stems of the rivets combined with the sealant will make it hard to break it free. I used a narrow paint scraper to scrape off the sealant covering the rivets around the spare tyre mount (5 of them there - one top centre and two each side). I also jammed it into the gap between the top edge and the firewall. Gentle lifting from the front will break the seal, but once it's loose, lifting out from the rear works best. You may need to flex the wings in a little to clear the guards as you lift it out. From what I recall, here's where you'll find the rivets: 4 at the bottom front, 3 each side on the top, just inside where the bonnet sits, 5 each side on the curved bit going down to the firewall, 6 along the back, 1 on each diagonal, and 1 on each side of the back edge, and 5 around the spare tyre mount.
    If you think that's hard, wait until you drill out the rivets - ho, ho, ho, that's fun! BTW, I replaced the rivets with self tappers - 8G x 1/2". A few of the holes in the thin side panels (thin little bulkheads that the air-vent hose runs through) needed 10G.
    Sorry, forgot to mention '85 QV

5. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Thanks for the details and advice guys! Stay well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app