Wanted - 1976-79 GTB | FerrariChat

Wanted 1976-79 GTB

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Yoric, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Seriously in the market for an early carburated 308 GTB. I want a solid driver car with no body/rust/accident issues. Condition trumps originality. Service and ownership history a must. No games/phishing please, if you are sure you want to sell your GTB or know of a stand up car for sale, email me and describe its condition, its location, send good pics and a firm price. Not looking for bargains but instead for a fairly priced 308 with no major needs. The car is for me to keep, drive as often as possible, enjoy and tinker with, NOT to resell. Rest assured that I have the funds and that I am ready to make a purchase right away. Contact Ric at <landeira AT colorado DOT edu> and I will respond to all genuine messages. Thank you to all in advance for any leads or advice that you can provide.

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Don't know anything about it other than seeing the ad, F40 motorsports has a 77 gtb on their website. www.f40motorsports.com

3. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Thanks for the heads up Rob. I've seen it on the website and may follow up. F40 Motorsports is owned by Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars fame--don't know if that's good or bad. Maybe someone here can chime in either about the car or the shop. I do know that it's as far from where I am in CO as possible, LOL.

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'll kick in my two cents, awhile back I looked at a 930 that he had for sale and I had showed up early for my appointment to see the car, he is about 3 hours away from me, and the salesman wasn't there. The 930 was in the showroom so I was checking it out while I was waiting for the salesman and Wayne came out of his office and we ended up talking cars for quite some time and he showed me all around his shop and my takeaway was that he is a real gentleman and true car guy.
    This was before his t.v. show and he told me quite a few stories about the intersting places and people he has bought cars from.
    With that being said no matter who you buy from I would recomend having a car checked out if you are buying from out of state.
    I've done business with these guys and they were very good to me www.rpmvt.com they don't have any carb. gtb's in stock but if you call them they may be able to find something for you.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yoric, if you really like carbs 308 GTB, carbs model goes up to 1980 where the transition happen between carbs and FI not 1979 just to let you know.

6. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Thanks for the info Mike. However, I'd like to avoid the later 79-80 carb cars if at all possible since they also came with catalytic converters--a recipe for disaster in my book, although most of them will have had them removed one supposes. Getting them through emissions here in CO is another minus.

miketuason likes this.
  7. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    There were also a handful of 79 cars that were FI. That car at F40 looks like a good one at a fair price. Would make a great road trip!

8. TEDJ77

TEDJ77 Rookie

Mar 25, 2006
    Ocean Ridge, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ted Johnson
    Keith Brown likes this.
  9. Keith Brown

Keith Brown Rookie

Mar 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Keith Brown
    Hi Ted,

Can you share your asking price for the GTB?

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A Euro like that does have several advantages:

The dry sump of course, was not available in North America.
    It would also be legal as NON CAT, as they were allowed in Europe much longer.

Downside is the legal importation papers, what in any was done in the way of De Smogging at the time, and the reversal of those mods.
    Sometimes its very hard to determine to complete ownership history of a Euro car, and one theft way back in time can really unravel a problem for the current owner.

Just thinking out loud, go tire kick on it, it looks at a quick glance to be a very nice example.
    Those miles (kms actually, maybe?) would not put me off the car.

The paperwork might.
    It was a huge Bond to import one of these, in the day of Grey Market.
    All of that Federal paperwork needs to be in the files, IMO

readplays likes this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It doesn't mean anything. He has pristine cars, average cars, and poor cars. Do diligence required. I live close by. Stop in periodically. Unless you are looking at a high end collector car, it's just a used car lot.

12. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    I never understood dealers wanting to have people call for the price. Nothing is sold like that, just silly. I have a house for sale but it's much too special to tell you the price, call me, I will whisper it to you over the phone.... but don't tell anyone. Odd.

I like the silver one on Ebay right now, kinda rough around the edges but I love silver.

Bradmc74, Shark01 and 308 milano like this.
  13. Bobby Butler

Bobby Butler Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Houma, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    BB14
    Keith Brown and rob like this.
  14. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    So, not early, not carbureted and not yet for sale. Well, OK at least it's a berlinetta.

Al Casteen likes this.
  15. Bobby Butler

Bobby Butler Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Houma, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    BB14
    Thought you may be interested. Not listed only means just that. I decided to sell my GTB recently and will wait till the world settles down a bit. If this reply does not fit properly I’ll edit it out. Good luck with your search.

16. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    are you looking exclusively for a purist, 100% original 308?

17. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    In my opening WTB at the end of February I wrote that I wanted to buy an early 308GTB, carbureted car, driver category, that condition mattered more than originality and that I was ready to buy at any time. My criteria haven't changed since then. So, no injected cars, no restored garage queens, and no special cars such as vetroresinas, Euro dry sumps, supercharged/turbo charged specials. A nice garden variety 1976-79 (the earlier the better) 308GTB that has been well cared for, with no history of rust, body or frame damage. If you have one or know of one for sale, send me pics, location and price. And, again, thank you if you can help.

18. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
  19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Just noticed they dropped the price of the one at f-40 ten grand it's 59,500 now.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe you should see mine

A Caddy XLR and thae new wiz bang Alfa Turbo is about wher Im looking t land...oh yes and a Cigarette 36
    Lets talk!!

21. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    BigTex,
    Don't be shy, email me <[email protected]> with details regarding your car if it's truly for sale. As I've written above: location, pics, price and an informed description a must for me.

22. Denver308

Denver308 Rookie

Dec 19, 2017
    Full Name:
    Berj Ermoyan
    Seems like a very decent price for the 77 at F40. I didn't realize some of the 77's had the updated washer tank and were missing the front spare tire cover. Must have happened some time later that year.

23. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Is now at $54,500
    I love it but as I recall from having a an 81 GTS many years ago, the 80 through 82 before the QV are very weak.

Is this so?
    Can someone elaborate on this ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    That's another one the one I was referring to was a 77. I've driven carb 308 and qv but never 2valve f.i. so can't comment on it's performance.