355 - seat mounting bolt square washer loose? seat not able to go forward completely | FerrariChat

355 seat mounting bolt square washer loose? seat not able to go forward completely

Discussion in '348/355' started by bellwilliam, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    Why is my Spider's seats' rear mounting bolts' washer loose (free to rotate)? All 4 "square" washers in both seats are in this fashion, while bolts are tight. What's the point of loose washers? I would like to either remove it if it serves no function? or glue it down?

It causes an issue - if it is turned sideway even a little, it will not allow the seat to travel past it. My driver seat was rearward and I wasn't able to move the seat all the way forward (to reveal the mounting bolt). It is difficult to re-orient the washer, it takes a mirror (you can't get your head behind it, you also can't see the orientation clearly inside this small dark tunnel) and 10 minutes of poking with a small screwdriver to orient the washer correctly, so seat rail can slide through.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps you have non-standard screws which are too long and the screws are bottoming out?

Or perhaps there should be spacers under the rail which are missing (and again the screws are bottoming out)

I'm not sure what work has been done on my '98 spider, but I have black hex bolts on the driver's seat and allen-headed bolts like yours on the passenger seat. Both square washers do not rotate.

Red575 and bellwilliam like this.
  3. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    Thanks.
    I was trying to remove driver seat but couldn’t get it to move forward enough to reach rear bolts. Did some googling and another FC thread had the same issue. That’s how I know about the loose square washer. So there are a few out there with same issue as me.

May be these were built by one of their intern !!

4. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I have a 97 355 Ferrari spider. Both the driver seat and passenger seat are not moving forward to the most forward position. They both move manually and by the centre roof switch to exactly the same position and return to the original position. How do I adjust how far they move forward so that they move forward to the standard most forward position nearest the dashboard?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not 100% sure, but I suspect the manual seat mode limits are still governed by the Roof Controller. The seats have probably gone out of calibration (or were improperly calibrated in the first place). I would talk to your nearest Ferrari tech (with an SD tool) and tell him what's happening and he should be able to help.

During the calibration procedure, the seats are probably allowed to go to their mechanical limits, but thereafter are governed by the Roof Controller. Perhaps the seats during manual control (after calibration) are stopped slightly before the endstops to prevent the seats constantly hitting them (and putting strain on motors, etc).

I stand to be corrected ;)

bellwilliam likes this.