What was your first car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What was your first car?

Discussion in '308/328' started by trs666, Apr 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

1969 TVR Vixen S2, bought in 1981. My dad cosigned the loan for $2,200/24months. Had to restore it 4 years later. Here it is in 2016 right before I sold it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Not being a prick about misspellings, but I laughed at "waisting time" as that is exactly what I'm doing; another 4lbs added.

And effective today NY state just closed the LI golf courses. They were open with tee times that had 16 min intervals, but atleast I was getting some exercise and fresh air.

Crowndog and Rosey like this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    1986 Ford Laser TX3, was only about a year old when my parents bought it off a retired policeman.
    Only wanted a red car... as I knew I would be driving a Ferrari one day.

Saabguy and 308 milano like this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My first car was a 1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina 2000, bought in 1978 at age 19. I really wanted a GTV, but any in decent condition were more than I could afford. The Berlina had the same chassis and drivetrain as the Alfa GTV and Spider, but on a longer wheel base (and heavier). This is just an internet photo, but same colour and year as my Berlina.

It was not a great car for Manitoba winters! With the heater going full blast, it might eventually get warm enough to be able to take your gloves and hat off. Coat stayed on!

m5shiv and 308 milano like this.
  4. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    My first car was a 1967 Camaro RS which I still own. My dad ordered it new from the local Chevrolet dealer that he worked at in 1966. I drove it throughout high school and then parked it for 23 years. Then I started a slow 3-year restoration on it. Here's a pic of it in high school 1989 (Blue) and the current pic of it at my parents house again when I went to show them the completed project in 2019 (Sea Frost Green). Unfortunately, I drove it less than 500 miles in the 23 years, and again less than 500 miles since completion of the restoration. Sad........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thomas Magnum and 308 milano like this.
  5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #30 Crowndog, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    My first love at 16 years of age:
    Jaguar E Type 1969 in Fawn Gray or Fawn Tan with black interior and A/C option.
    Loved that car!
    This is a representative picture not MY car but exactly the same. Except mine had all the front windscreen chrome surround. Got her with 3200 miles on it in 1973

Saabguy likes this.
  6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Still dream about buying another but it would have to be perfect which would be cost prohibitive while keeping the red ho in my garage.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    308Dadoo and rob like this.
  8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    A 1957 Ford sedan ($100). Three on the tree. 68,000 miles: a nearly dead rust bucket (which I foolishly restored).

BUT ...

My girlfriend (now wife) drove a 1966 Chevy Malibu SS. We sold it when the bumper laws were tightened. She had it so jacked-up in the back the bumper was ridiculously high.

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

1964 VW window less delivery bus. Some wild times in that thing.

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    1964 Morris (Mini) 850 - 37 bhp of wild weapon with the porridge-stirrer gear shift. I have since had 7 Mini Cooper S's. Sold the last one (a race car) a few years ago, just before they tripled in value...

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  12. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    1972 Fiat 850 spider. White with black interior . I was 15 years old and I bought it with my paper route money.
    It was my first step into sportscars that would last a lifetime.
    It never left the backyard but I polished the heck out of it.

Amazing how time flies but the memories are always with us...….

13. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I can remember when a heater was an option on Fords.

Ianjoub likes this.
  14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    #39 Steelton Keith, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    1960 baby blue Ford Falcon. 2 speed automatic, sewing machine for an engine. Had no power steering, no power brakes, no power. Heater didn't work either. Paid $ 100 for it. Got me back and forth to my summer job at Bethlehem Steel's Steelton plant and then through college.

tomc likes this.
  15. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    I love the "red ho" comment I use it all the time. You get what you want put you have to pay for it, my Pcar was more like Slt.

absostone and Crowndog like this.
  16. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
    A 1979 International Scout 2 was my first hand me down. First car I could buy was a used 1984 VW Scirocco.
    Loved that car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A FIAT 850 for a week, and I realized I was in over my head...LOL

That was followed by long term ownership of a wonderful 1967 Pontiac Firebird convertible.
    Uprated the engine, transmission, several snazzy paint jobs, I only sold it as the frame rails were cracking from too much beach use. The sand washboards and bikini girls had all taken a toll.....

Of course I had found the four corner "cocktail shaker" vibration dampeners, and had thrown them in the dumpster as added weight!!!

I still love the retro articles on GM doing the 1/3 scale plexi models on the convertibles, and deciding to add the dampeners IN!!!

18. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    In 1980 I had a 1976 Mercury Bobcat 4 speed:) hand me down (beat), but the hatch back was fun. Then bought a 1973 Nova Small Block of my grandmothers friend. Low mileage but it was a city car, multiple dings on all panels and left front fender was wrecked when she hit a pole learning to drive with my grandmother at 70 years old. Anyway, spent all summer doing the body work, had it repainted and put used American Racing Wheels on it. Totaled it during a race going around a corner, the wheels folded against a curb and side swiped a wall. No injuries except a bruised ego and wallet. Moved on to the 74 Camaro 4spd 350 4v.
    Little Corona Lock Down Rant.

rob likes this.
  19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  20. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    Scirocco, Great vehicle! one of the best, they will take an absolute pounding and ask for more. I had a high mileage one in college. Not as nice as yours, velour interior, different rims, but had good tires and Koni's.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  21. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Actually I really can’t take credit for that. My wife after giving up trying to compete under her breath muttered “that f-ing red ho” while stomping off. Lol!

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #47 Auraraptor, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    In high-school I had a wonderful 1982 BMW 633CSi (E12 Chassis type, no ABS).

What a lovely car. In many ways its direct, mechanical feel reminded me a lot of my old 328.

23. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Awesome Tommy, just awesome!
    Is that a Momo steering wheel? Looks like my QV stock wheel.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It was my daily driver for 20 years. I was still getting into it everyday to go to work 10 years AFTER dental school. Never let me down.

I'm a nervous wreck driving it now because I am absolutely terrified something is going to happen to it. I can replace every other car I have with another exactly like it. I can't do that with the car I drove to my senior prom. Just too many memories.

25. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    There's been a few threads like this one.

My first car was during my 2nd year of college. a 1973 Red Pinto runabout 2l 4cyl 4spd manual with McGreary tires & mags for $750. I forgot the mileage I got it with. It left me with about 120K on the odo. CB handle when driving it - Ford Fireball. Previously a 10speed bike got me 15 miles each way from off-campus to school.
    Getting caught in a hurricane going home one day was the end of bike riding.