Coronavirus and Monterey Car Week | FerrariChat

Coronavirus and Monterey Car Week

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by HMB-Dino, Mar 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    With several events already having or fast approaching their entry deadlines, I'm curious how the current coronavirus crisis will affect Car Week. Unlike the flu, no one knows if the coronavirus will subside with warmer weather and the situation is certainly on a path to get much worse before it gets better. Just look at Italy, France and in the US where events with > 1000 people are being banned in some areas (including Monterey which has just banned cruise ships for a while).

I would imagine that many people might be hesitant to commit big bucks for travel, lodging, events, etc until there's some light at the end of the (coronavirus) tunnel. I had already committed to Concorso Italiano before this all started, but I'm reluctant to commit another car I've been asked to exhibit at the Carmel Concours whose entry deadline is less than 3 weeks away.

2. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I am also on the fence about attending FCA National in Quebec Mt. Tremblanc Canada in late July. It's a lot of investment on a trip that I don't know what's going to happen next couple of months.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'd imagine organizers would (should?) refund entry fees if their events get banned/cancelled due to public health concerns. Same with related accommodations, etc.

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Perhaps, but it would be appropriate IMO for those with pending deadlines to be proactive and extend those deadlines so people hesitating can have more time to see how this plays out over the next month or two.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Having myself never been involved with organizing large events similar to those during Car Week (and a half), but knowing and having heard from others who have, I’d imagine only major proactive change under consideration at this moment might be whether to cancel now, soon or wait little longer. Extending registration deadlines are likely secondary concerns at this time and can probably be easily adjusted, should decision to stay on course be reached.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Agreed. I just think it would be prudent for various Car Week organizations be more proactive and inform the public that they're studying the situation. Extending registration deadlines could be included in that message. No information is never good.

As for large scale events and how they're handling it;
    - Formula 1 has delayed the start of the season until late May
    - Boston Marathon just postponed their Apr 20 event to mid-Sept

7. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    who gives a rats f about monterey? how about next week??

ferrame and blu328gts like this.
  8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Based on current state of affairs, for all those events which have been (tentatively) postponed vs cancelled, the fall is going to be crazy. I know Car Week event folks are marching forward on the assumption that things will improve sufficiently to still make sense to have it, but I wonder how far in advance a final go/no-go decision has to be made...1 month, 2 months, more? And would such a decision be made on an individual event basis, or by consensus?

Driving by Pebble Beach almost every day, it always amazes me how far in advance setup begins for any major event held here (AT&T ProAm golf, Pebble Beach Food & Wine Festival...canceled, Car Week, etc). Interesting, and scary, times we're in right now.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. saviola9

saviola9 Karting

Jun 8, 2015
    Full Name:
    Scott
    How is the situation nowadays overthere? I'm from the Netherlands and booked a trip to Monterey Car Week. Do you think I should cancel everything already? Or just wait a while?

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Definitely cancel your plans.

Matt

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I have actually heard they are still planning on holding the event

Sent from my 16M

Manda racing likes this.
  12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Of course they're still planning on it happening...it's too early to cancel everything. I think it's entirely likely that smaller, less well funded events will start to cancel well before the more established events (eg, auctions, concours) throw in the towel. Event organizers are obviously hoping for a major turnaround, so that even a toned down week (in terms of attendees or number of events) could still happen. But think about it. Even after we see a turnaround, many, many people will be reluctant to dive back into crowded events for a while. As a local, as much as I despise the traffic, I look forward to many events and typically show one or two different cars during the week.

But be aware that Wimbledon, that was to run thru July 12th, has just been canceled. That's less than 30 days before Car Week happens.

13. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  14. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    Pandemic will last 18-24 months and require social distancing throughout this time period. Expect all events this year to be cancelled or heavily modified. It won’t be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09Scuderia likes this.
  15. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Just got an email saying that the Hillsborough Concours on the SF Peninsula (July 12) is cancelled. That is 27 days before Car Week. There is very little social distancing during Car Week.

16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The only guaranteed social distancing during Car Week is the distance between you and the driver in the next car while stuck in traffic.

blu328gts and Texas Forever like this.
  17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The just announced cancellation of the Ferrari Annual Experience (July 25-29) certainly does not bode well for Car Week 2 weeks later.
    From an email I received today from FCA.org...

Regretfully, with the continuing evolution of the coronavirus pandemic in both the United States and Canada, it has become clear that it will be impossible to hold the FCA Annual Experience in July 2020 as planned. Accordingly, FCA2020 is now cancelled, and arrangements are being finalized to return to Mont Tremblant, Quebec July 23-27, 2022 for the FCA2022 Annual Experience.

18. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    It was announced yesterday that the Danville d'Elegance and Gala are cancelled. Originally scheduled for Sept 19 & 20. The Tour is currently still on, however sold out.

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  20. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    We live in San Jose area and attend Monterey every year.

I can tell you CA has been doing social distancing for 1+ months and it's helping here but by no means are we past the danger zone. There is no way I can see this event happening, and even if it did there would be a ton of restrictions....I would say forget about it for this year.

JimEakin, 375+ and Troomi like this.
  21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Today CA governor Newsom said that the idea of allowing large gatherings (100's, 1000's, 10000's of people) in June, July or even Aug is highly unlikely. This is all subject to change if mass scale testing and treatment become available.

Well that certainly doesn't bode well for Car Week...sigh

22. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    I agree with HMB -Dino. After reading Newsom's speech, I will be surprised if it does happen. That will be a huge economic hit to the Monterey area.

23. Mark_W

Mark_W Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    its unlikely that any events will happen this year in Monterey. Legends of the autobahn cancelled today and that might be the start of the rest. Alot of companies will pull out as they wont want to risk their employees, due to liability. Air travel im sure too wont be fully back, internationally either. Restaurants, limited. Im bummed, its my 6-7th year going in a row, and I had a new car to take this year too.

24. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The track is hopeful— they said Moto GP is happening a week or two ahead of Ferrari Challenge. (Which I have reservations for July 23,24,25)

fwiw

25. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Is the Ferrari Challenge still on?