My first Ferrari, an 812 just before shutdown | FerrariChat

My first Ferrari, an 812 just before shutdown

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by SeattleStew, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Hello all, last month I reached a lifetime goal of purchasing a Ferrari! I was fortunate to be able to go for a V12 car like I've always wanted. The 575m was my introduction to Ferrari when I would drive them around on video games. Because of that the front engine V12 cars have always held a special spot, and I had always dreamed of owning one. After driving an 812 at the dealership I just fell in love with the high revving NA V12. The sound sure does go a long way to selling these things.

Off to the configuration room, and a short 15-20 minutes later I had the spec I wanted put together. I did wait another week or so just to make sure that's what I wanted to go with. I originally went for the carbon buckets, but switched to the comfort seats after leaving and thinking about it. I'm a fan of trying to be low key, so I tried to keep it subtle on the exterior. Grigio Silverstone was an attractive color as I enjoy how dark it can look at night, while it has a nice shine to it in the sunlight (which we don't get much here in the PNW :D). I even chose to not have the scuderia shields, which some will say is sacrilegious. I opted for no carbon fiber, and chose to have the carbon steering wheel wrapped in leather but keep the shift lights (not pictured). Meanwhile I think I might have ticked every tech option except lane keep assist. I went in really wanting to spec my first ever super car, so I was fine accepting that I'll eat depreciation. I also don't plan to sell the car, I've got a habit of keeping sentimental cars.

I signed the forms and paid the deposit a couple days before my state went into mandatory stay home last month. I'll be anxiously awaiting the factory to open back up, but in due time when it's safe to do so. Now for the configuration pictures!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Beautiful! Love the 812, had an Italia, 488 GTB, now have a Speciale and 812. The 812 is an extraordinary machine.

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    812 congratulations!

4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I love the spec. Total sleeper car. Congrats! Great first post. I chose Grigio Silverstone for my 812 also, you will not be disappointed.

F456M and SeattleStew like this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I thought the LKA was part of the ADAS package. I would say that the premium hi fi isn't worth the $6k. I had the standard in my previous two cars and it is not good at all but the fact is, the premium isn't worth he $6k they charged me. It's underpowered which was also true of the others. I am surprised as normally the better amplifier has more power. That's the only knock I have on mine and I already expected that but this time I decided to tick the box just to see, now I know.

You are going to love it. You might also find one you like just as much on the used market though and it would be a good deal now I am sure. The other thing I think you might be risking is that it ends up with a GPF if you aren't at the beginning of the line. Next model year will start after August and that will likely include the GPF for the US.

6. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    That was the goal! My thought process was for someone to see the car from the sidewalk and think "cool corvette". I think I might have succeeded when I showed a non-car friend the car without branding on the pictures and said "check out the corvette I just got" and they believed it.

LKA is part of the ADAS package, I can't remember if it could be specifically excluded if you wanted. I do have the front camera, so I think it's part of that. It's my understanding that it's only a warning though and not active steering assist like on other cars with LKA (most Japanese cars I've driven with LKA will actively steer to keep you in the lane).

Good to know about the hifi system. Disappointing for it to not have that much power, I'll be curious to hear it myself, might have to drop by the dealer and check that out.

It's my understanding that I've gotten into a build slot that should go into production shortly after the factory reopens, so hopefully I don't have the GPF. If I do, I'm not afraid of a sawzall (I kid, I kid).

7. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Nice spec. Out of interest, why did you opt for all the electronic nannies? I find them to be intrusive and there are many documented examples of them failing (sometimes in dangerous ways). Lastly, they add unattractive bits to the car eg. an off center cut out in front grille

I’m not trying to start a debate here about the merits or not of these tools, but am genuinely interested in why someone would pay extra for them

I find it especially curious in the context of a relatively old school, driver focused car like the 812. If one were buying a Tesla, the tools make sense and are consistent with the brand and package...

PS mine is Grigio Titanio, also a sleeper colour but perhaps a little less so...

8. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    In the cars I've owned that have had adaptive cruise control I've really enjoy that on my traffic filled roads. Plus it's something you can turn on when you want, and not use when you don't. Want and have, vs want and not have. I still pay attention to the road, I just like not having to constantly turn on and off the cruise control.

For everything else it doesn't seem all that intrusive, maybe I'm wrong? I didn't do the surround view, so I guess that's a box I didn't check lol. Overall I just wanted to have the equipment in the car, and if I want I'm sure I can get things software disabled. That's how it's worked on my German cars, the Italians were allies with them once, maybe it'll work for them too.

Grigio Titanio is a cool color, very silver! I'm in a gunmetal phase, where I seem to want everything to be that dark grey lol. I nearly got it in a blue similar to that of Estoril Blue from BMW.

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Once your dealer puts in the order and it goes to 10R status, have the dealer tell you the MODIS engine codes and please update this thread,

thank you

10. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    Many congratulations

11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well you should make sure on the build spot. I had forgotten about LKA being active on other cars. I have the surround camera and back radar so I get the warnings when someone is behind me as I back up. The other nannies are the blind spot monitor which is useful. The overhead camera is very good. I got that because my wife has it in her Portofino and it is good quality. We have had it on all of our SUVs since 2013.

F456M likes this.
  12. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Overall I'm not too worried build slot spot, but I've slotted into a build slot that was scheduled to start just before the shutdown. I'd imagine that it'll be pretty soon after re-open.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! You made a great choice with the 812! To state the obvious, just take your time to learn the car and its behavior, especially with how fast it revs. The car is a masterpiece!

I've got to take the other point on the hi-fi. I've heard the standard system and its fine, but the hi-fi is a noticeable step up. It is not the very best, but its good. It would cost you probably $12-15k to improve on it in the aftermarket. Some people say the engine and exhaust sound are the music and they couldn't care less about the stereo. Nothing wrong with that. I often just lower the windows. But I drive my cars and I like my music. If you are like me, I would recommend the hi-fi.

deltona and Gianfranco341 like this.
  14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Btw I’ve read that Ferrari hasn’t had many order cancellations of late so when they start production again (planned next week) they still a full work load! They are considering double shifts / Sat work to make up for lost time

This will of course depend on their supply chain being able to keep up

15. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    Production won't start for another 3 weeks, at least

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Congrats. A phenomenal car. Like you I opted for no carbon anywhere. Here is what the wrapped steering wheel with the LEDs looks like. I did get the HiFi
    and yes it is the typical Ferrari priced option and yes under powered. But compared to the AM quality standard radio I had in my F12, well worth it. No FAL, adaptive lights, nannies or Apple play for me.

Again, congrats!

[​IMG]

17. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    That wheel looks so good with the full leather. I'm certainly a fan of that. I just don't like 2 different materials on the wheel, makes for a little weird driving feel imo.

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It's a Ferrari thing.

19. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Great spec. With lots of brown leather I agree it looks better having no carbon inside

out of interest, has the brown dash been an issue for reflections?

20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I believe I heard where an Italian Official said the country shutdown was extended until May 1.

21. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    3 May is Ferrari target now.

22. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    All in good time, I'd rather they come back to work safe and healthy. Sure makes picking up a 458 for the mean time tempting though

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    That's ALWAYS a great choice!! :)

24. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    My dealer has one that I've driven a couple times that I like a lot. Convincing my girlfriend on 2 Ferraris before a ring though is proving to be the difficult task

F456M likes this.
  25. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Not even a fair comparison. The 812 is just so fast you will be dissappointed by how slow the 458 is in comparison. It might sound better than a 488 but it's much slower. The 812 has better sound than a 458 and is actually faster than a 488, a lot faster. I am surprised just how fast this car is. Don't waste your money on a 458 that you won't want to drive after taking delivery of your 812. If you really want a Ferrari now, get a barely used 2019 812 for a good markdown.