Official Daytona Pics | Page 85 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    timo
    restorer does have pix but cant locate all of them as it was done approx 1995. he was able to send me a few and interestingly it shows a silver painted side groove.

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Giallo Dino on a Daytona Spyder is my dream combo. I think in general Giallo Dino is a wonderful colour.

Do you know which car this is? Is it 14389?

readplays likes this.
  3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    CA blue plate came in 7 digit configurations as well. They were everywhere as a kid. Blue plates started in '69 (I think) with split 6 digits like the black plates had, but they reversed the letter/number order (BLK 123 vs 123 BLU). Then around 1980 CA instituted the 7 digit system during the blue plate period. That changed fairly quickly (1982, I think) to white plates. For several years you could get an optional "Sunshine plate", then they DC'd that and since then the standard plate is white.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the arrows in the window switches were white Ed the same as the gear knob lettering, I had some new old stock ones and I thought they were white. I know I did not use them and painted the ones I had in the car white.

5. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Interesting. Can you tell us a bit more what you do to reinforce it?

6. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
    Hello !! 24 hours of daytona 1981....At the wheel we find Al Unser .the car was engaged by Jo
    Crevier !

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry, but like most with 30+ years of (professional) experience in this field, I’m not ready to share all of my “how to” details or practices publicly.

dgunn365 and turbo-joe like this.
  8. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
  9. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Here is a photo I took in April 1985 on the Magny Cours circuit, France.maybe someone could tell me where this car is now? May be you , Mr Massini ?? thank you very much !!

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As I mentioned before, it could be anybody’s guess what color Ferrari, Scaglietti or, perhaps more specifically, their switch suppliers +/-50 years ago used to paint the arrows with, but my (limited) experience, recollection, reference photos, 2 cars currently in my care + another one I’ll start working on in about a week or so and few extra (NOS & used) switches I have in my parts bins all seem to suggest silver...

11. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Here is a picture of a NOS never installed. The lettering is silver. Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    looks like renault

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    readplays likes this.
  14. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hmmm... So what about the numbers on the shift knob, silver also?

Now that I think about it, I've seen cars where the shift knob letters seemed sort of "gray"; always attributed to being old or a little dirty, but maybe that is just the way some of them were?

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, I wasn’t there when every car was assembled or haven’t conducted in-depth research to factory’s supply chain manufacturers production methods, but would start with assumption that the shifter balls/knobs likely came from a different vendor than power window switches, so finishing details may not have anything to do with each others, but...
    ... OTOH, I’ve always been told one should never “assume” anything,...
    ... so I imagine your assessment/guess could be considered as reasonable as anyone’s.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m actually thrilled to hear/see others having or taking interest in various details on these cars, but many of us seem to focus on or consider importance of different ones, while perhaps missing, not noticing/paying attention to (tens of) thousands of others on a same car.

For example, the linked subject vehicle on your brake (tail) light lens thread seems (at least to me) to have more serious and great number of authenticity/originality discrepancies contradicting conventional wisdoms than your lens depth concern and list of all could be long enough to put its points score achievements seriously into question.
    OTOH, it does come with a lot of accolades, attestations, books & documents, so one can probably “assume” it’s, if not perhaps quite perfect, at least all correct.

In another example (which I might’ve shared in the past), long ago I was approached by proposal for me to improve a “restored” car enough to achieve a “Platinum” level score, which at the time required 95 points or more and for which the car had not qualified soon after completed restoration some years earlier.
    To accompany this request, I was handed copies of scoring sheets of that previous conducted (FCA) judging and asked to correct all noted deductions listed on them, to which I promptly replied being happy to accommodate, but warned that it may not be sufficient to achieve a “Platinum” at next judging using identical guidelines. This (obviously?) lead to immediate astonishment and comment “it’s all there, on those sheets !”, to which I replied that by quick overview glance I had just given for the car moments earlier (we were standing right next to it), I had noticed numerous authenticity/originality discrepancies not included on the sheets in my hand and list of those could (perhaps easily ?) exceed the ones already noted...

colombo2cam likes this.
  16. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Timo,

Don't disagree with anything you've said.

Regarding my original query, I was mostly just asking whether you think that you've seen original cars with silver numbers on the shift knobs.

On the lens post, I was mostly wondering if anyone had taken apart one of those "shallow" tail-lights, and could explain how it was that these cars have this appearance.

Also, both of the above were also meant in the spirit of your "one should never assume anything" statement; just wondering if anyone had seen an example that seemed plausible to be original (like I said in the lens thread (and as you point out in this thread), the car I pointed to looked to me to have had considerable work done to it, so I was uncertain as to how much weight to give to it).

Cheers,
    Alex

TTR likes this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alex,
    In attempt to narrow & simplify my earlier comment, I can't recall having seen silver used in the shift ball/knob digits, but that again doesn't mean none ever came with such. ;):D

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The car with the less protruding lens is incorrect based on the many Daytons I have seen and my own experience. The should stck out roughly an inch. Thats a guess so could be plus or minus a little.

19. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Having a massive tidy up and found this picture of a RHD Daytona. I am pretty certain it dates from 1986/7.

Can anyone identify the car ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

colombo2cam likes this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It seems to have a french registration (?), 83, Var, South of France.

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    hagen111, colombo2cam and readplays like this.