458 - What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ModerateMike, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I thought this at first but, after going for a drive and pulling into the petrol station soo many people came up and wanted to talk about the car, it lifted their spirits and let them forget about the current situation for the 5 mins the car was there, as long as youre not being obnoxious, drive like an idiot and talk to people I do t think people actually look negatively upon the car

2. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I haven't given
    1) May fortune favor you and keep you safe for the work you're doing (same goes to the rest of you doctors on this MD-heavy thread).

2) As, the owner of a GS 458 Spider with racing seats, I can promise that y'all will love it- drive it in good health.

Mike

3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Shall we play the Guess what Price it sold for game?

I am at... 198k

barkanddex likes this.
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

my cars are both getting maintenance and I will drive them
    once we know what the asking is...that is.

ScottS and barkanddex like this.
  5. barkanddex

barkanddex Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    the ask was 220.
    Less than the ask.
    Muahahahahhahaha
    Much love and health,
    Xoxo,
    A “newbie.”

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I love a thread with a happy ending.

Except ILOVEGT maintenance.

I keep at least one at home at all times.

Enjoy the day y’all. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel and barkanddex like this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Well done! Hahaha. Although it sounds only logic and a given to pay less than the asking price, I once fell so in love with a car a couple of years back, that I fell into a “shut up and take my money!” situation, so... Congratulations to both of you for keeping your cool!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

DefunctNeurons and barkanddex like this.
  8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Mike, mileage and spec on this 458 Spider is very desirable and no one knows this more than the dealer. If he’s asking $205 given this market I would “offer” in the 180 range. Realistically his bottom line wont be below $190K. If you truly love the car don’t lose it for a few thousand dollar difference. In the long run you’ll be happy.

barkanddex likes this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    To be honest with you, I’m worried about Mike. Ever since he bought the 458, he stopped posting and Natalie showed up.

My guess he’s flooring the 458 out there. Said he forgot to buy olives and went back to the supermarket... In Canada :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

johnr265, barkanddex, PTG1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    Don't really understand this Pandemic/ corona pricing

who cares , if you want it and will enjoy it...buy it

If you can't swing it...buy something cheaper
    when your talking 5 or 10 grand on a 200 k purchase and debating it...your in over your head
    everybody wants a good deal and price, but if pass on something your passionate about for a few thousand..your not passionate

jm2 likes this.
  11. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Out of curiosity , do your own a Ferrari??

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Napoli likes this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I find the term pandemic pricing rather heartless. Not just to those that lost their jobs but especially those that suffered badly and lost their lives. If you need a global catastrophe to afford a supercar then you probably cant afford one. Reminds me of the creeper dude that waits for old collectors to die and then low balls the family to get a steal. The dude with the white mustache.

13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree it will be heartless if a car is low balled and purchased from some individual who is going through hardship in a firesale. But if it's a car dealership, I am sorry, I really don't have much sympathy for them. God knows how much we have lost collectively to them through all the games and trade ins, even during both good and bad times. They have overhead to cover, I get it. They have employees and their families to feed, of course I get it. But I just think that the best way to see if your sympathy is reciprocated is very simple - go to your car dealership, tell them you have cancer and need to sell your Ferrari. I am willing to bet you will definitely get a much lower price than other times, let alone in this pandemic.

I just don't think people who just bought a supercar today really need a catastrophic event to afford one. If they really needed the discount, they wouldn't buy it today.

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Welcome to the forum Natalie! A wife as supportive as you is like discovering plutonium:). And a fellow physician to boot. Again thanks for chiming in and enjoy the 458 in good health! We’re all going to get through this soon.

barkanddex likes this.
  15. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    Tamahal,,

I have a 2014 458.
    Recently purchased with 588 miles on it. I bought with 540 miles.
    Will be putting more on it soon. Also have a few other cars.

Purchased prior to corona. But some would say I paid a little too much. I got what I liked.
    Car was purchased from Newport Beach and shipped to NJ.

Mike

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    By that same logic, the guy forced to fire sale couldn't afford it either, so how is it any different? A guy who couldn't afford an exotic buying one from another guy who couldn't afford an exotic.

I don't know a single responsible person who must sell an exotic car during economic downturn. Economy has been closed like barely a month in most places. Stocks are at 2019 levels. If someone is desperate to get out of a car it's because they shouldn't have owned it anyway.

The vast majority of people willing to dump an exotic right now are doing it by choice or due to stupidity in the first place. Anyone with a $200K car and less than $1-2M in liquid assets is an idiot.

barkanddex likes this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    My "plutonium wife" takes exception. Says "we are everywhere." :cool:

18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    As I always say; trust your wife’s opinion at all times. They always make the best choices: us! :cool::p:D

Mike and Natalie, we’re dying to see a couple of pictures if you have the time.

Happy Easter everyone.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua and barkanddex like this.
  19. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Huge congratulations on your 458! It's a great car! Thanks for taking us on your journey!

barkanddex and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  20. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Unnecessary comments about being heartless because he uses the word pandemic prices. It's a huge downturn in the economy at the moment, so why pay full price if you can negotiate the price?!

It's like saying, don't buy stocks on nasdaq because they are too cheap due to COVID19. Or saying that quotes like, during tough times opportunities arise, is a selfish term. I started my company during the 2008 financial crisis. It was a great time to start a company. And if I was looking to buy a new car or a new home, I would bargain like crazy. In fact, I bought a nice watch two weeks back because the seller needed money cause he lost his job due to Covid19. He needed money, and I made a good deal. Both were happy.

So to the OP, use the opportunity and see if you can get a better deal now on a great car!

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

21. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Congratulations on purchasing your first Ferrari.
    Yo are a lucky man indeed to have such a wonderful and supportive wife in this journey.
    I too have a wonderful wife of 37 years who is very understanding in my love of cars
    I wish you many years of joy and many miles of travel in your new purchase.
    Drive it in good health and enjoy the pleasure it will give you.
    You are now an ambassador of the Ferrari brand and will be asked a lot of questions by those around you.
    Share your car and knowledge with everybody who stops you and bathes in your great taste.

BTW, you just bought the best color and specked car IMHO;)

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

barkanddex and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  22. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Anyone else impressed with how many times people stated that they’re physicians in this single thread?

Napoli likes this.
  23. barkanddex

barkanddex Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    Hahahahaha, awe. Nuno, I wish that were the case. Alas, since the car is in Newport and must be detailed and shipped to us in NC after paperwork is complete, it may be a couple of weeks before Mike has those urges for “road trip olives.” It’s all good. I’ll wait my turn. Happy to show some pics here when it arrives. I really think it’s a showstopper, especially with me driving it.
    Thanks again.

24. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Does anyone else relate to the happy ending of this thread this way....

I feel like we were all a bunch of guys hanging out in a garage wrenching and talking about the passion we all have for cars. Who is going to buy what next and what mods will we do next to our rides.....

And then... This spunky female pulls up outside, walks in and joins the group and starts talking the talk such as timing belts, tire compounds, cam variators etc... then asks where “Fred” is at. Yep she is one of your good friends significant others....

welcome both of you to the group and 458 ownership.

25. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #100 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    I have absolutely no trouble believing that.

That reminds me to update the recommendation list I had stored for Mike.

I had:

- Don’t go over 4000 rpm before engine reaches service temperature
    - Don’t drive with low fuel, as the reserve in these cars is short and autonomy indicator is unreliable.
    - Search for a good insurance deal.

Now I’ll add:

- Buy pump action shotgun and two dozen boxes of ammo to fend off guys making a pass at Natalie whenever she drives the 458.

Actually last time my 458 went to its scheduled yearly service, I told my girlfriend to drive it to the dealer and I’d follow her in my car. From there, we’d go to dinner.

She got 3 marriage proposals in about 5 or 6 city traffic miles. Last one the guy shouted while we were at a red light: “I wanna marry you, sweetheart”. She gave him THE stare, and before she could reply, he went on: “Don’t worry honey, I’ll wait until whatever 80 year old geezer you’re dating, kicks the bucket!”. I wasn’t mad, I found the affair so unlikely and farcical, I rolled down my window and shouted back: “You may have to wait a while. I’ve just turned 35 last month”.

Anyway, choosing a car is the fun part, waiting delivery on it is by far the worse part. But totally worth it. From the moment the Ferrari dealer called me to say my car was ready for me to pick it up, until I did, 2 weeks went by. I spent the best part of a fortnight sleeping 2 to 3 hours a night, and still having to work and otherwise “function”. And I was quitting smoking. Any one of those three variables is enough to make a man go bananas. I’ll leave it to you to imagine the huge idiot I was back then, going through all three at the same time.

Regarding the spec you bought, I think grigio is a very unusual color for a Ferrari, namely a 458. Usually, it’s more associated with GT cars, like the FF for instance. People tend to think of grigio as a discreet color, but in my very humble opinion, it works very well on a 458: adds a very understated, classy and elegant element to a car that is a full blown, loud, impactful exotic super sports car at heart. A very nice mix between two apparently very different elements that you just don’t see very often. But that’s just me: of the Ferraris I owned, just one was Rosso Corsa.

I distinctly remember how I felt when I first saw my 458 in the flesh. My baby. So I’m thrilled for you both, as I know the best is yet to come.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

paulchua and barkanddex like this.