F1 transmission light comes on periodically | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 transmission light comes on periodically

Discussion in '360/430' started by natman316, Feb 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Seriously? If you're afraid of 'rubbing them the wrong way' should you be dealing with them in the first place?

Where I take my cars, I trust and respect their expertise, and they appreciate that I am engaged enough to want to know the details of how things work.

(Truth be told, there are a couple of shops in the area that by all rights should be charging me extra for all the time spent underneath the cars on the lift walking me through all the details.)

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

4. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    if you look at your engine, below the right airbox there is a red cable that passes through and goes down to the gearbox.That's the F1 sensor.

Mine broke (died) at 52'000 km and I was left stuck dead on the highway...paid more or less that amount of money for replacing it...when I saw it I rated it a 10$ plastic sensor...but its work is essential to check the exact clutch position.

At least better this failure that the F1 pump that would have cost you more than double.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

wow, in california, nonee of the shops allow me to enter the work area, citing insurance issues

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I suppose I could be considered and expert. You don't have a clue. What on earth makes you think a gear box position sensor is really a clutch position sensor?

If you really want to continue dispensing inaccurate misleading advice be sure to preface it with "I don't have a clue".

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The best advice you can be given on the internet about your car is to ignore all the advice you are getting here. It is well intentioned and misinformed guess work.

f355spider likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- I was going to say something similar, but could not figure out how to do it without sounding nasty.

nm- Get thee to someone who both knows what he is doing, and has an SD3 or equivalent.

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I miss a lot of things about living in California, but there's a whole lot more things I don't miss.

That said, even there my mechanic would take the time to walk me through, and get under the car with me showing me everything. It's my car, and it's my neck. I want to see it, and I want to understand it. I defer to the expert opinions, but show me. I genuinely am interested and want to know.

10. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Thanks for all the tips, I will get the dealer to fix this issue and report back. Just sucks that I just bought the car and only put 1000 miles on it :( but thats what you get with used cars...

11. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    where did this end please ? I have replaced my F1 pump and most recently my potentiometer at dealer but am still getting gearbox light on start up from cold, which then disappears very quickly and all is fine ??

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    So my car now back at dealer lets see

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Who r u taking to in uk

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You say it goes off 'very quickly' - can you clarify exactly when since the light probably comes on and off as part of the initial check ok procedure (manual p77)

15. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    I have had my 2005 430 for almost two years. For the first 6 months, the transmission light would come on. I replaced the pump, hoses, etc., etc. I spent a ton of money trying to fix it. Then, one day after starting the car, I had to attend to something else, so I let it idle for about 5 minutes then drove it. NO LIGHT! Now I start the car and do a little routine while I wait for the car's computer to "check" things. Clean the windows, visually check the tires, wipe the car down with a micro cloth. It takes about 5 or six minutes. NO LIGHT for about 1.5 years except two weeks ago I had an emergency and had to start and drive without waiting and - you guessed it - the light came on.

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    My car starts normally, no gearbox light, I drive to the end of the multi car garage circa 20m and whilst I am waiting for the garage door to open it comes on, I drive f0r 500m-1km during which I am restricted to 2nd gear and after that it disappears

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

last time i had the exact symptom u described, is a f1 potentiometer went wrong
    get a diagnostic computer plugged in and see your gearbox module

18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #43 RichardCH, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    I have just had my potentiometer replaced, potentially they have failed to set it up correctly 2x or there is another problem

19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Unfortunately it seems I need a new clutch, have circa 22k miles from new

20. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    What percentage of the clutch has been used?

21. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Are you sure bout this? i almost want to bet $100 that its not the clutch issue,

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I am sure you are probably correct and have told head mechanic at Ferrari dealership exactly that but I guess I will need the clutch doing sooner or later and I dont want to break my relationship with him over this and my other servicing alternatives are much further away