360 Spider or California - help me decide | FerrariChat

360 Spider or California - help me decide

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So I am contemplating looking for a Ferrari soon. My price point is $100K or less. I have owned a 308 and two 348s and enjoyed both models. But on the next model, I need something that my wife would also enjoy, which requires something with an automatic transmission. It looks like my choices are down to the 360 and California.

I am totally unfamiliar with the 360 F1 transmission, do I understand that you can drive it as an automatic? I would love to hear pros and cons on these two cars. Reliability is toward the top of my list, although my 308 and both 348s were rather bullet proof, with the 348 being darn near like a Honda in terms of reliability. Great car.

Thank you for the feedback.

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I have heard that the 360 in auto mode eats clutches at a fairly faster rate, however I haven't personally tried it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I don't know your wife, but I know many wifes that would drive and enjoy a California a lot more than a 360 (even in Auto mode with the F1). They are completely different beasts. My wife enjoyed driving my 911, not so much the 360. Just a bit too "raw" for her taste. A lot less of a GT than the California.
    Anyhow my 2.5 cents...

Husker, Skidkid and EastMemphis like this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you're buying a car for your wife, get a California. If you want a fun car you can work on yourself, get a gated 360 Spider.

tomconte, RANDY6005, Bigilo and 3 others like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you're posting in the 360 section, expect to get 360 biased commentary, which is fine, it is a great car.
    If it were me, I would grab the wife, and test drive both, you and she will then have your answer.
    For my wife & I, the Cali was the best choice. Choosing an F-car is like a beauty contest with no losers,
    there is no wrong choice. Good luck...T

Husker and EastMemphis like this.
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Thank you everyone. Good thoughts. One other consideration: which will depreciate the least over the next 5 years in your opinion?

7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I own a 360 F1 Spider. Buy the Cali. She will be happier.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Although an impossible question to answer ..if I was a betting man I would guess a stick 360 would be the least to deprecate .. not sure that was even on your list .. between a f1 and a California ..hard call .. but I would still say the 360 f1 again just due to that it already took a major hit

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My wife would want the Cali and I would suspect most wives would want the Cali. but the 360 would depreciate less.

brogenville likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I had a California that I was able to part with before it really hit the steeper part of the depreciation curve. They are now near the bottom of that curve, along with 360s, so both are good to buy.
    The 360 F1 transmission is not nearly as good as the DCT in the California. If you need to back up often, the F1 will eat the clutch quickly. Not a problem with the DCT. Most F1 cars will need a clutch in less than 30k miles. Some well under 30k miles.
    The 360 needs routine timing belt replacements every 3 years, but the California uses a chain, so doesn’t have that issue.
    The California is faster, but the 360 handles better, though a number of suspension pieces in the 360 are rather frail unless they’ve been replaced with Hill Engineering parts.
    The 360 is more fun and exciting to drive. The California more of a GT. FWIW, my wife preferred the California. I have a 360 spider with a stick, and don’t miss the California at all.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

hessank likes this.
  11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    For your particular needs, considering your wife is in the equation, nothing to talk about. Hands down get the California. Hard top convertible fun for the whole family. If just for you then gated 360.

12. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not to throw another wrench in the discussion...

I went through this EXACT "debate" last summer. My wife and I test drove several Cali's; she loved them. The styling, comfort and ease to drive appealed to her, and it was still a very fast and (relatively) good handling car for me. The Cali is an awesome GT car. I preferred the 360 because it was a true "sports car", seemed more special to drive and was something I could wrench myself (even the timing belts).

What we'd end up with?

A 430 Spider.

It is a much improved car over the 360 in every way (performance, handling, maintenance, comfort). It is definitely a "sports car", but still comfortable enough for us to go away for the weekend. It is an F1, which she's still getting used to, but she likes the styling about as much as the Cali. Of course color combo is key.

As far as depreciation, the 360's should be at the bottom of the curve with the 430's (hopefully) not too far behind. The Cali's may have a way to go, especially the Cali 30's and T's. While doing my research the consensus was pretty strong to stay away from the early Cali's and go for a Cali 30 or even the T's.

Bottom line; I bought the 430 spider in great shape for well under $100K and couldn't be happier. Your results (of course) may vary.

As mentioned in a previous post, you really CAN'T go wrong with this decision. Either way it's a Ferrari.

GOOD LUCK

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #13 arizonaitalian, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    F1 drives like **** in auto mode and is the opposite of reliable as you require. So 360 isn't even an option for your requirements.

My f1 cars (maser and CS) did not inspire confidence with their F1 systems. Had many moments when driving when I was worried it wouldn't go into gear (while getting honked at in intersections) or over heated or threw the dreaded little gear shift light or simply quit working when a cheap sensor gave out in the CS and we coasted to a stop in the turn lane (luckily).

I would never have my significant other out driving by herself in a F1 car. She would hate me if it does what they do. (of course others will chime in with their "mine worked perfectly" experiene. Ok, great. But what about me and countless other folks firsthand reports of issues. They are real, if not 100% of the cases).

DCT cali would be "better", but the early DCT's are not infallible. And the top mechanisms are expensive in the rare instances they fail. So, I presume you know this, but your "honda like" experience with the 348 is not always the case with F cars of course...not to mention if you are unlucky and dash/electronics go fritzy. Just be open eyed and do your DD on common issues and costs of repairs for the cali.

Need4Spd likes this.
  14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Not necessarily. I'd say California every day and twice on sunday looking at your requirements. They are completely different cars, 10 years apart. For roughly the same $$ you can get a much newer, more reliable (check on model-specific issues), front engine, driver friendly, technologically advanced Ferrari. I've seen them in the $70-80k range. Bargain of the century for what they are. If they were actually "available" in gated, I'd be tempted to move up from my gated 360. For the record, my wife hates my 360, too "raw". Get a California.

tomc and Need4Spd like this.
  15. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Sometimes the California looks odd to me, sometimes it doesn’t. I think it looks good with the top up but I bet it’s a real joy to drive with the top down. I think the 360 is good at bringing you closer to God. Let me explain. You talk to God quite a bit when you want the top to go down and also you talk to him quite a bit when you want the top to go up. You talk to God when you walk into the garage and want the car to start and not have any dash lights. It truly is a religious experience.

I’m pretty sure the people that own Californias don’t have a good relationship with God because they don’t really need to talk to him much.

I hope this answers your question.

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You did say that reliability is a factor. In my opinion the 360 Spider is out of the question. Get a coupe instead. The capote is finicky and more so as the car ages. Your wife might not be able to technically handle it if the capote won't go up or down.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about because I have an '03 360 Spider.

Husker likes this.
  17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Guys I've never driven a F1 manual before, such as the the 360 and 430. I understand that there is an "auto" mode. Does it drive like an automatic in that event, or not exactly?

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If it's anything like my Cali, which has an updated DCT, it's like an automatic. The transmission shifts for you, you just worry about brake, accelerator & waving back at the people who give you thumbs up signs! I often drive in Auto when I'm in the F-car with the wife. Gives me a spare brain cell or two to deal with her nagging me about my speed! It's a totally different beast when you flip the paddles to shift gears. Then it's like a manual but no third pedal. You can be more aggressive than the auto mode when it comes to shifting, let the revs build...T

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    For $100k you can get an F430, your better bet unless she wants the cruising GT.

APA#1 likes this.
  20. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I originally went to the dealer to get a cali and came across my 430 while I was walking through. Brought the 430 home.

Husker likes this.
  21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    in a word, "no".

If you are entertaining a 360 F1 because it "might" act like an acceptable automatic transmission car, all we can say is "go drive one".

That's because, for most people, on its face, the criteria of "it can be driven like an automatic" and "360 F1" are mutually exclusive.

(same with your comment about reliability. Unless "bullet proof" is applied to parts other than the F1 transmission/clutch, the spider top, the exhaust manifolds, the motor mounts, the transmission mounts, and the alarm system/immobilizer. I do think most 360 owners would say "sure its more or less bullet proof except for those parts".)

Need4Spd likes this.
  22. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1!

Again, difference between a "sports car" and a "GT". The 360/430 are sports cars that require them to be driven--I wouldn't even consider AUTO mode. Eats up the clutch and defeats the purpose of a true drivers car. Flipping the paddles (or better yet, throwing the gear shifter) is a large part of the driving experience. Remember, the F1 is a MANUAL transmission with a computer essentially acting as the clutch pedal. You need to drive it like a manual.

The Cali is an great GT or cruising car. Ample performance, and the DCT is amazing (especially after driving a 360/430). However, for me (and my wife), we wanted something truly "special" that we'd get excited about taking a drive on a beautiful day. My daily driver is a MB CLS550, also a really nice driving, nice looking, comfortable cruiser with ample power. Both are very refined GT's. So to me, the Cali basically filled the same niche (not to downplay the mystique of "taking the Ferrari" vs the Merc). In short, because the driving experience is less involved in the Cali vs 360/430 so would my excitement to drive it.

I also wanted to be able to do my own service/maintenance...reduced ownership costs and I enjoy being under the car almost as much as being in it. Not nearly as much DIY out there for the Cali as the 360/430.

Again, as I saw the 430 and 360 prices begin to overlap under 100K pulling the trigger on the 430 spider was a no brainer. 430 more reliable, better performing and more comfortable than the 360. Definitely older than a Cali, but pretty much all the issues have been identified and most are actually DIY'able. Putting the cloth top down and starting up the 430 (sport exhaust, valve open) is definitely more of an "occasion" than it would've been in a Cali. And it's still great for a weekend trip... we took it from NoVA to the OBX for a weekend trip; sunshine, rain and about 600miles. Not a hiccup.

Enough about me....
    If you're looking for a car that's very easy to drive, comfortable and made for long trips go with the Cali. Just stay away from the early years and get a warranty. If you want something that has a more involved driving experience, is DIY'able, and is a little more special (I.e., classic) that makes every drive an occasion, go with a 430.

One parting thought: I'm pretty sure the 430 has more luggage space than the Cali with the top down (not including rear seats obviously). Can't wait to see pix of what you actually decided on!

Need4Spd and tomc like this.
  23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    With the top down on the California, there is less trunk space, as it’s occupied by the stowed top. But we could still get two international size carryons (Rimowa) side by side in there with the top down. Not sure two would fit stacked on each other in a 360 or 430 trunk.
    If 360s and 430s are now really close in price, and you want an F1, the 430 is the better choice. The reason to get a 360 with prices being equal or close to equal would be to get a stick, which is far more rare in 430s.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Don't underestimate the sports car vs GT comments. I've had a 360 for 12 years but added a Cali 30 HS last year. The Cali drives pretty close to my BMW 640, the 360 replaces the rush I used to get from 2 wheels.

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OP...Your wife and you may want to watch this video before deciding!
    Just posted by Petrolicious.

T

EastMemphis likes this.