I found a screw in my tyre | FerrariChat

I found a screw in my tyre

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I had a TPMS warning on starting up my 575 today. Checking the tyre in question, I found a screw in the top of the sidewall. It was above (closer to the tread than) the oval with the date stamp on it, where the sidewall starts to curve round to the tread. sticking out more or less perpendicular.

There are a lot of building works with messy builders in my area. So my first thought was, an irritating accident, I had driven over a loose screw. But looking at the angle - that started feeling very unlikely. That’s not a part of a tyre in contact with the road unless you are going sideways - and even then..

I had left the car parked in a nice area, near my mother’s house, a couple of days prior. Would someone really have dug a screw into a tyre, instead of another kind of vandalism? Ferrari envy can of course strike at any time.

I don’t know whether to believe the conspiracy theory or the coincidence theory. Both have flaws. The tyre itself doesn’t bother me so much as it was more than 5 years old and up for renewal (though in these times it’s not so easy to change tyres).

could a screw really make its way into a tyre at that angle by non-human intervention, though?

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Yes. I had an auto repair shop for 10 years and saw it all the time. Things like that happen, at least it wasn't a new tire!

3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Happens routinely to my wife’s car. She drives through an industrial area every day and we have to have at least one of her tires plugged each year. All sorts of angles and crap. Screwed, nails, random metal “bits.” One plug per tire is my rule. Once it happens twice replace both tires on that axle.

4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Happens quite often here too. I got myself a Safety Seal kit, works very well. Almost always the rears… the fronts kick up the debris which then gets caught by the rears in unusual ways.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You're screwed.

Sorry

Marcel Massini likes this.
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    From my experience as a driver and especially as an avid bicyclist, the hazards are generally located at the edges of the road, in the gutter area. If you keep to the center of the pavement and away from the gutter, you reduce significantly the chance of picking up a screw, nail or anything else for that matter (aka FOD). The reason is simple. If the FOD is in the driving lane, it will either be picked up by someone else's tire, or more likely, thrown to the side of the road where the gutter catches it. Just like dust bunnies in the average house, they accumulate at the edges. That's why it's far more common to have the passenger side get a puncture than the driver's side.

So keep this in your head the next time you cut a corner. Instead, be sure to make a wide enough berth that you stay in the center of the pavement.

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pure coincidence.
    I had three screws in three different cars (tires) in one year.
    One in a Ferrari, right rear, and two in other cars.
    One in a hotel car park in Italy (Cernobbio).
    Plus then (in another year) one more in an AVIS rental car (SUV) in Palm Beach/FL.

Marcel Massini

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you, everyone. I am much relieved by your input. I would have hated the idea that some lunatic walking near my mother's house while I delivered her her essentials decided to sabotage a Ferrari.

Yes it was a rear passenger side tyre. Spot on. Thank you for the tip.

Now to get a safety seal kit.

I had already been wondering when to swap out the tyres, Michelin Pilot Super Sports with manufacture dates in late 2014 (front) and early 2015 (rear) with PS4Ss. I will probably now do them all at once, I guess it was a cost that was going to come sometime soon.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #9 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Darius,

Let me start by saying I’m sorry for your troubles.

It’s indeed very unusual for a screw to penetrate a tire in that angle and in the sidewall. I once went over a screw on the highway at moderate speed. It was a scare, but the screw got embedded in the tire thread, not the wall.

Anyway, I think it may not have been the work of a jealous individual, but a freak incident instead.

If someone were up to no good, they’d scratch the paint of your car with the screw instead, or do what someone did to my white 458: dropped a whole ice cream onto the side of it, making my car look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I echo others; I have had the exact scenario as well with screws in the side wall after a stint in a construction zone (twice in 20 years).

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Picked this up a couple weeks ago on my Lexus LS. Just far enough off the tread that it couldn't be repaired. Fortunately Tire Rack's free road hazard coverage paid for a new tire. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW likes this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you Nuno. Yes, you're right, there are many more destructive uses for a screw if you are intent on causing damage. And to get the screw in a tyre you would need to kneel or stand by the car, whereas who would see you take a swipe to scratch a wing with it in your hand.

Ice cream! That's a new one on me. At least, less harmful to paint than the liquid offering of a seagull.

Auraraptor and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Themaven likes this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That is strange indeed. Maybe a passing car threw it in the air, and given its speed, the screw hit the tyre with enough force to embed itself in that fashion?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, that really is odd. I don't think I've seen one that far on the side wall.

However, I do think it is possible. For one thing, if someone did it deliberately, they would almost certainly pound it straight into the side wall.

17. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you are running 18" rims, are the PS4S available in the right sizes front and rear? I looked to get the PS4S for my 550 and, at least here in the US, they didn't have the correct sizes for both front and rear. So I am limited to the PSS's, I am not going back to the Pirelli's that are on it now.

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That could be a possibility. Also, in order to get to my garages, I have to mount a ramp at an angle, and I can see that happening there, there are some builders around that spot.

19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think you're right...though that assumes someone wanting to do something like that thinks rationally!

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's a good question. That would be annoying. I have heard very good things about the new Goodyear F1s also, again I don't know about sizes for our cars though will have to research.

21. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I found 5 options that will fit the 18" rims on my 550.
    Pirelli P Zero Rosso
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    Continental ExtremeContact Sport
    Yokohama Advan A052
    Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
    If you find something different, please let me know.

22. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I had a nickel go into my rear F355 tire, yes a nickel!

23. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    See? There is a lot more to Ferraris than just depreciation. Some can even make you money!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Themaven and cuneo like this.
  24. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jesus Christ......a thread about a flat tire. Can this possibly be real. Fix the tire for Gods sake!!!! Or throw the ****ing thing away. You are a Ferrari owner after all.

houtie123 and Zanny1 like this.
  25. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Jim,

From experience (although not in the 550) and in my humble opinion, the P Zeros are the worst (comfort acoustics, grip, wear to performance ratio, feel in the rain just to name a few), and the Michelins by far the best in the fields listed above, perhaps the only critic I’d make is that they wear relatively quickly, but that’s heavily dependent on your right foot. Anyway, what’s softer and therefore grips well, is bound to wear quicker than most.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Themaven likes this.