How to remove the steering rack from a 355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How to remove the steering rack from a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by roadracer311, Nov 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronrob

ronrob Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    Var, S.E. France
    Full Name:
    Ronald Brown
    Great stuff Paul........and to the time you took to do the job you can add the time keeping us posted.
    I hope never to need to refer to this removal/replacement procedure but you can be sure that I have it tucked away just in case.
    Congratulations on a good job very well done and thanks again for taking the time and trouble to post it all. You're all set for 2014!
    Ron

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For a professional mechanic to consider not DIY next time, it is one hell of a job, isn't Paul? This is probably one job i would only do on my own car, and not someone else's even if I was paid. It is that tough.

3. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes! I think the reason it's possible to get this done at a shop for $3k or less, is because the shop has never tried this on a 355, and doesn't believe anything could be this difficult. As a motorcycle mechanic, I also keep a list of projects in my head I would *not* do for money, only for myself. If I worked on cars for money, this would be in that category.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Fantastic work Paul and fantastic write up. Thank you for taking the time to detail this all - I'm sure someone will benefit from it.

5. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
  6. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    I know, thread from the dead, but jeez!!! I was wondering HTF you could get it out... and I was right. It's a freakin' nightmare!!! There is NOTHING fun about that job.

7. Arturin

Arturin Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    Spain
    Bumping the thread to add a tip. When puting the rack back, make sure to put antiseize grease on the sway bar splines.
    I’m in the process of rebuilding the rack and it’s taken hours just to dissasemble the sway bar arms: 2 jaw puller, torch to heat the arm and opening the groove with a lever is what it’s taken. There was a small amount of surface rust in the splines, enough to have made my life miserable this evening.

By the way, even though it’s been said a few times, there’s no words to express how much of a pain in the ass this job is, no words.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    Had my rack rebuilt last year. The shop that did it mis-installed a seal and it was leaking upon reinstall. I had to pull it, fix the rack and re-install. The anger and rage I felt at the time was unmeasurable.

Qavion likes this.
  9. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow! What a PITA of a job, but well done to anyone who has done it.

Reading this made me ponder a question:
    Could you remove the standard rack and install a Challenge rack in its place?

Just curious really as quickening up the steering is about the only thing I'd like to change from standard.

MAD828 likes this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  11. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Reread this thread. Great job to Paul and Mitchell for all the info they posted.