Deferred Maintenance ... catches up. | FerrariChat

Deferred Maintenance ... catches up.

Discussion in '308/328' started by yelcab, Apr 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is off a 3.2L V8 engine. The picture shows the coolant bleed line under the plenum has broken off from its fitting. The fitting itself was corroded to the point of totally plugged up.

The upper hose at the top is the heater hose off the side of the engine on bank 1 head. This car had a major service done 3 years ago, but … these coolant hoses were not tended to because they were hard to get to.

Any maintenance deferred will catch up to the car at the most inopportune moment. The only question remains is which owner (previous or present) will pay the price.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cwheeler, Saabguy and BLACK HORSE like this.
  2. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ouch... that's real bad!

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'd say that is more a matter of poor maintenance then deferred maintenance. Old hoses may get hard and crack, etc, but those kind of deposits on the manifold and in the hose would seem to indicate the use of the wrong coolant and /or tap water in the cooling system. I'd be suspicious the internals of the engine. As I have said many tomes, I've owned my 308 for 35 years and I've never seen anything like that. But I do use the proper fluids, etc. So many of these cars are abused by owners who shouldn't one them because they don;t have a clue.

Albert-LP likes this.
  4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Coolant NEEDS to be changed every 3 or 5 years , depending on the coolant type.

The anticorrsion additives deplete even if just sitting in a garage, and aluminum corrodes a lot faster than iron motors given the opportunity and right conditions.

Doug

Albert-LP likes this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's not the coolant's fault. If you remove the plenum every time you change the timing belts and replace that hose, plus remove any crud on the coolant fitting, that hose would never look like that. The hose was laying away from the fitting. There is no leak on the car because the fitting was corroded totally shut. The problem is the broken hose vents the system pressure into the atmosphere so the car's temperature never is at its operating point.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    How did that happen if it wasn't poor coolant maintenance?

7. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Wow that's bad! Never seen anything as far gone as that. Tough one will be to bring the alloy back - even if its possible at all.

Good luck!
    Mark

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #8 Albert-LP, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    it happens ONLY when the coolant is too old, as it becomes very corrosive: it MUST be changed and don't let it become 15 years old. It can eat the block too.

ciao

EDIT
    This is why I always laughed when during the inspections I did for buying a 3x8 many tell me "I change the timing belts every three years" and when I ask them "what about the coolant" often they don't know what to answer... ;)

thorn likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Like I said, I don't get it. Here is the same hose from my car; replace in 2010 after 25 years, for other reasons. If it didn't have to be removed, it wouldn't have been replaced.

Goosebug likes this.
  10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree more to this than just neglecting to refresh coolant. Must have had a leak of some sort (maybe a bad cap) and somebody just kept topping it off with the garden hose. Probably had some pretty bad water too.

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Wow, this looks bad.
    Coolant staying in the block for long periods of time will undergo stratification of the chemicals. The chemicals will move down lower in the block and the upper regions of the coolant will have more oxygen at the top and start corroding the upper areas. (Aluminum alloy head plugs, cast aluminum coolant components) In the past, I purchased a Dino 246 which sat for over 20 years. I had to replace all head coolant plugs, cast alloy coolant manifolds, and recored the radiator. I ended up rebuilding the motor. They should have drained the coolant for long storage. Also, the older type hoses with coolant kept in the engine for a long time will form cracks in the interior side of the hoses due to an electrolysis attack of the rubber. Take your older hose, shine light inside of it while bending, you will see the fine cracks inside. The newer hoses are designed to prevent this.

12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I read all this anecdotal evidence of hose problems on FChat. Here is another coolant hose off my car after 25 years, in 2010. It's still soft and flexible, no cracks on the out side, no cracks on the inside. The car had 27k miles on it at the time, and this piece of hose has been sitting in a box in the garage for another 10 years. I can show you 1/2 a dozen other pieces of hose that are similar. Quite frankly, in my 60 years of fooling with cars, and cars that I generally own for long periods, 69 Z28 Camaro sold in 82, 76 Camaro sold in 93, 96 BMW 328 wrecked in 2014, 2002 Toyota truck (160k miles) still owned.... I have never once replaced a coolant hose except those on the 308 which were replaced by my tech during service for another, unrelated issue. Never replaced a radiator either. My 308 still has the original and has never had a cooling problem other than a failed expansion tank cap. I just don't get it. I'll stick with if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

14. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thermal-Oxidative Degradation of Rubber. Most elastomers will undergo significant changes over time when exposed to heat, light, or oxygen (ozone). ... Hardening is much more common because free radicals produced when rubber is exposed to heat, oxygen and/or light rapidly combine and in this process form new crosslinks
    This is why I replace all rubber items even if they look ok. Timing belts, cooling hoses, tires, brake lines etc.

15. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    One source of non-anecdotal info: https://www.brandfonhonda.com/potential-hose-failure-branford-ct.htm

Another source: Went to a local NAPA store to get hoses. They have the info about electrochemical cracks forming in hoses at their order desk with photos.

I drive my 308 every weekend to reach normal operating temperatures and open the heater valve. I will be changing my coolant every 4 years. I replaced my hoses with new in 2018 and vacuum filled with Shell Rotella ELC.

Either way, each person will operate their Ferrari as they feel is best.

16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hoses are like tires, you don't wait for them to "break" before replacing them.

lm2504me likes this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'd venture to say that water pumps and expansion tank caps fail more often than coolant hoses.

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's a hard ugly hose too. There are many people look good on outside and then die because something went bad on the inside.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yup! I've seen perfect really old tires people put car up on blocks. Then put car into service and rubber cracks off to the cords! A tire shop will not mount a perfectly new unmounted tire if the date code is 5+ years.

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    M,

Lots of dissimilar metals on these cars too! They can be an electrolysis nightmare. Interestingly the block metallurgy is quite robust. I remember rebuilding an NSX motor and every stud hole had to be timeserted because the studs came out with black corrosion such that a new stud wasn't going to do it.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #21 johnk..., Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020

Well, now you got me going FBB. I can only guess you're looking for some entertainment. :)

Yep, day b hard as a rock. So hard and brittle you can squeeze it is a vise, inside out and.... Oh wait, where are the cracks, electrochemical or otherwise? And dam, that fold is right on the seam too! No drips, no runs, no errors. Maybe the cracks are on the order of the Plank length?

Sure, Gate's will tell you about electrochemical cracks. Where are they? It's called marketing. Just like replace your (serpentine and V) belts every 3 years. Same with NAPA. Show me a picture of a worst case scenario, tell me a worst case story, offer me a glass of coolaid.

"Engineers emphasize that it's not uncommon to find premature hose failures due to electrochemical damage in vehicles driven less than 25,000 miles."

Not uncommon? Give me some numbers. What are the odds, 1 in 10, 1 in 1000, 1 in 1,000,000? Seriously? May I suggest that miles isn't the issue, maybe time is? How many of you have had your cars (daily drivers) serviced and the dealer or service station tech said, "Boy, you got 25,000 miles on your car. Better change the coolant hoses." Let me guess, never? How many millions of cars there on the roads with more that 25,000 miles? How often do you see a vehicle pulled over with steam pouring out from under the hood, or a path of coolant on the road to it's stopping point? Now one guy will chime in, right on cue, "It happened to me, once!" and the Ferrari Chat bad witch will scream, "It happen once, it will happen to all, (laughing maniacally)."

Sure, if you have to remove a hose to service something else, replace it, but performing a "hose service"? Is this the new normal? Oil service. Fluids service. Major service. Belt service. Hose service?

Hell, even my Porsche maintenance schedule only says check, not replace, the belts at 4 years, 40,000 miles. Nothing in there about hoses, coolant or otherwise.

If you go down the list of things you could change because they "might fail" and cause a problem, coolant hoses are pretty far down on the list.

(Always fun to play bad cop. A little entertainment for the Covid crowd.) ;)

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    LOL! Days of the future past. :)

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    For some a "major" service is a belt change.