308 dipstick rattle | FerrariChat

308 dipstick rattle

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robert Jorgensen, Feb 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Hey all, so I have a problem with my dipstick rattling and making a really annoying sound whenever I get up to 4K rpm. If you grab the dipstick by the handle, it does have a slight bit of play in it. I have changed the O ring on it which helped a bit but I still have the problem. I could not find anyone else having this problem on F Chat so I figure I will throw it out to the masses. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    I know it may not look like it but it definitely is. I just went a re verified. Nice and tight on there.

4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Rattling / vibration noise on passenger side could be several items. You are very sure it is the dipstick?
    Have you removed it, drove it to 4k and see if the noise is still there?
    Reviewing my past service receipts, I found one for rattling on passenger side which came from a cracked exhaust sampling tube.
    The usual Loud vibration sound near 4k rpm on the passenger side is AC hoses resting on the body.

5. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Sorry for the super late response, it has been a pretty insane month as everyone could imagine. I have checked and you are right it is not the dipstick. I was almost positive it was. Took it out and drove and sure enough, the rattle is still there. This thing is driving me nuts!

6. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If it is a US car, it may be the packing around the exhaust headers.

Robert Jorgensen likes this.
  7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    More likely, the AC hoses vibrating against the body air intake when you get to ~3500 rpm, then stops above 4500 or does it continue above 4500?

Robert Jorgensen and BigTex like this.
  8. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Correct, it stops around 5k. Starts closer to 4K but either way it does stop. I am going to take a video here tomorrow and post it. Thanks for all your responses!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The AC lines really should have a (now disintegrated) foam pad against the body panels, I bet that's going to be it.

The front sides exhaust sampling risers were also mild steel and been lots of threads with them breaking and giving up.
    So another but less likely suggestion, IMO they could break, but I don't see them rattling against anything but the engine you'd never hear it in the cabin.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Make sure all your inner fender fasteners are present and well landed too.
    They strip out or go missing as time wears on....

Oh one final thought, IF the engine mounts have sagged to the bottom, the RH header can actually drop for enough to hit the frame, so check there's clearance and as posted above the aluminum wrap on the headers can loosen as the asbestos packing dusts out.....:eek:

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    To stop the rattling of the AC hoses on the body near the air intake, I purchased the foam used to insulate pipes from the local hardware store and used tyraps / cable ties to keep the foam in place. You need to remove the fiberglass rear passenger side wheel well to get to it. My hoses were laying right on the intake portion of the body. After I installed the foam, no more rattling sound.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    I will check on that. I hope the header isn't resting on the frame! I am going to see about those A/C lines for now and hope that is it.

13. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    I will definitely check that out, either way it would be good to know where things are at since I am still an early novice of all things 308. Is that a picture after the wraps of the metal lines?

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm a huge user of Armaflex, as I get scraps (even huge rolls!) from work.

Unlike the ancient open cell foam of the 70s, it's skinned, closed cell, sheds water...….so a scrap of that tie wrapped around those flex refrigerant lines in the quarter panel, may just well "silence" your pest!!

Lets just say when my tools hit the drawers, they say "ahhhhh" and make no clank!!

15. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    That is a great idea. Thank you for the suggestion. Now I have to just go out there and find a place that sells it during the time of COVID-19. Maybe Home Depot?

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, those lines to the front snake down the rocker panel (with great difficulty) and then bend double bends straight up to come popping into the engine bay!!

His pipe insulation is basically what I am saying but wrapping sheet around the air intake snorkel would do the same thing.
    The snorkel and fender scoop gives the rattle the sonic amplification it needs to be loud.

I'm an expert, on :loud".....

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They will have the residential pipe insulation.

Armaflex is used on HVAC equipment so it does not sweat the moisture from atmosphere, so the sheets will be at Johnstone Supply or maybe Grainger.
    I hate that you can come by my "Scrap pile" as I keep it from 3/8" up to 2" and they actually go thicker!!

Since we chatting the OTHER place you need it is the OEM seals of the radiator, there's a bottom piece, two side seals and even two "little blocks" on the radiator corners. Once those are gone or knocked loose the air is leaking around rather than thru both coolant and AC coils, to ill effect, sealing it helps with several known issues, both crappy AC and overheating in summer.

The two strips on the hood are also best replaced, my hood "pops up" 1/4" when released and it's tight to the top of the radiator.
    I need to exercise her I will get some pictures.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We buried two city blocks of chilled water lines at a hospital, and used enough 1.5" to wrap a building, then covered it up in dirt!

That was my first time to get the "light bulb" on....

19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My photo was before installing my foam around the parts of the AC hose touching the intake body on the passenger side. In the past someone installed foam which is visible in the background. I removed the old foam since they guessed wrong on where to install it. Pretty sure it is AC hoses rubbing on body at intake. Resonance of 308 engine is 3500 - 4500 rpm for vibration.
    Keep us posted.

20. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
  21. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Follow the hoses from the AC compressor as they go toward the right side. It will be easier to see if you remove the black fiberglass intake tube. You will see a hose or both hoses resting on the air intake tubing or air intake part of the body. Where you see the hoses touching or possibly touching the intake is where the foam insulation needs to be installed.
    It will be behind the area being pointed to by the red arrow. I will PM my phone number, also.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login