For Sale - 1997 355 Red/Tan Gated Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1997 355 Red/Tan Gated Spider

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I am so tempted....

2. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    #28 Ferrari Fanatic, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Here is a recent unedited pic of the car on the rollers and passing smog inspection. Check out the insanely low HC levels at cruising speeds. Def a good sign that compression is solid and valve guides not worn. No SDL on so cats def not overheating in the case of high HC levels.

Motor is healthy and paint is showroom perfect.

3. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Scott, sorry for the delayed response as I am just getting caught up with everyone’s inquires now.

I sent you an email with my contact information.

Best Regards,

Paul

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #31 arizonaitalian, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Beautiful example. A 355 gated spider has always been on my "should own at least once" sports car list...so a few questions:

1. What was the date of the service done "500 miles ago"?

2. Do these cars get interior stickies? Any sticky bits?

3. What can you tell us about the clutch? Original or?

4. Do you have complete history of service docs back to original sale, if not what docs are in hand?

5. Motor and transmission mounts original or?

6. Any vids of the exhaust sounds you can share?

7. How is the AC on this in terms of flow strength and temp?

8. Are all three keys, three fobs, and PIN for alarm/immobilizer with the car?

Thanks!

NY-3PEDAL360 likes this.
  5. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Can you help walk us thru how you determined the car had only 2 owners and was always in California based on what it shows in the carfax (time in MA and 6 owners - I can presume that owners 5 and 6 are both you, but before that its hard to get the 4 prior owners down to 2). Thanks.

6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    reading again, it seems like you say 3 owners including yourself. So, same question but 3 vs 6. Thanks. (Not challenging you, rather presuming you already sorted thru it and made the reconciliation, and thus requesting to share that)

7. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Hi, sorry for the delay. Was working on a different project and with the heat wave, dare I say: I really got to enjoy the car !

Regarding the 6 owners it shows on Carfax, I can assure you that number is wrong. Per Carfax’s own disclaimer, it is just an estimate.

Matching the service records to the Carfax estimate, owners 1 and 2 are the same, 3 and 4 are the same, and me as 5 and 6 are the same. If you look closely the car was in and out of a lease for first 2 owners and dual titled in two states. There is even generic, boiler plate verbiage from Carfax that explains this common occurrence.

Also, look closely at the cities, as the city of ownership doesn’t change in several cases. It would be an odd coincidence that an F Car gets sold in the same city, but possible.

Lastly, it shows 2 owners for me. I contribute this to the fact that I had a small loan on the car when I purchased it. When I paid the loan off, I kept the title in my safe. The lines at Cal DMV could easily take 4-6 hours without an appointment, so one day I decided to brave it and went in and had the title updated and sent to me with no lien. Issuing another title with no lien caused an additional owner to show on Carfax.

I have the sales contracts and service records which connects the dots on the dates.

I am open to reviewing the docs in the event someone is serious and ready to buy the car.

Best Regards.

seyoung likes this.
  8. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    1. What was the date of the service done "500 miles ago"?

6/17 engine out service by an FNA Dealership. No other service was noted or recommended.

2. Do these cars get interior stickies? Any sticky bits?

All the stickies parts were sent off and corrected in 2018. Only vents would need to be done and are not too bad. The tabs break easily on the vents upon removal, so opted no to remove.

3. What can you tell us about the clutch? Original or?

Original clutch, but master cylinder and throw out bearing (Hill Engineering T/O) have been replaced.

4. Do you have complete history of service docs back to original sale, if not what docs are in hand?

Yes I have all receipts and service records dating all the way back to day 1.

5. Motor and transmission mounts original or?

Original.

6. Any vids of the exhaust sounds you can share?

PM me and I can email you a vid. It will not allow me upload here as too large of a file.

7. How is the AC on this in terms of flow strength and temp?

AC blows cold and strength is normal.

8. Are all three keys, three fobs, and PIN for alarm/immobilizer with the car?

I have 2 keys and 2 fobs (1 black and 1 red).

No problem, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  9. Mustafa Pirzada

Jan 12, 2020
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mustafa Pirzada
  10. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Hey guys, I wanted to over communicate and keep full transparency. I have had multiple inquiries, so let me address.

Regarding the price: it is a minimum of $71,500. My car has been advertised on several media, and I have received offers at or above list price.

Based on: the car’s condition, similar listings ( comparable cars are listed at or above $90,000), and market conditions.

Having said that, I am not attempting to create an “auction” but as anyone person would do, the car will go to the highest and best offer.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Is it more fun than ur 512TR? Such a beautiful car this 355!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes 355 is like a gokart so it's a different type of fun. 355 is a twisty road under 80 mph fun. 512TR is a highway 100MPH + type of fun. 512tr is tough to drive under 60 MPH. (for me atleast)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Hi Mustafa, email sent.

Best,

Paul

14. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Fred, I read your PM and responded back.

Best,

Paul

15. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    FF and TT, I responded to your PM’s.

Best,

Paul

16. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am a bit confused - in late Feb you lowered the price to $66.5k. Now it’s at $71.5k and you have received offers above that - why haven’t you sold the car?

Julia and technom3 like this.
  17. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Great question. It’s a beautiful car in pristine shape. I have been driving it as of late and really enjoying it !

I had my eyes on another purchase opportunity and the planets didn’t align.

Bottom line: the car is still for sale, but likely won’t jump through hoops as in no great hurry or urgency.

Best Regards.

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So what's the price.

Selling something here requires a price.

You can't say 71.500 or more. Pick your price. Don't make people guess what it takes to own

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  20. texasnoiz

texasnoiz Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    k s
    Unless each and every service record is chronicled in an accordion file or binder an older car’s exact service history will probably be unlikely to be known. Plus being a driver and not a collector car or garage queen I guess we all have to take some bit of a chance when talking about a 20 + year old car with multiple owners. The fact you’re paying less than $75k for a ferrari should leave room for expense on issues repairs maintenance and modernizing updates. I’ve communicated with the owner who seems quite genuine- this a clean example - but I’m no expert. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tatry68 likes this.
  21. Pistolerro

Pistolerro Rookie

Jul 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Robert Johnson
    Realize ad is several months old, but do you still have the F355?

22. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I own a 97 355 with 31k miles. I have all service records from day one and no mention of guides being done. Car does not use any oil between changes and runs great. I agree that every ferrari guy should own one.