Strange request of a 365 GT 2+2 owner | FerrariChat

Strange request of a 365 GT 2+2 owner

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SCantera, Apr 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Okay......this is an odd request.....

I am in the midst of building my dream garage in the mountains. I started a thread about it on FChat https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-dream-garage-in-the-mountains.615517/ . I have to install a railing on the loft that overlooks the cars below. Rather than a typical wood railing I want to do something special and Ferrari-related. I plan to have a metal top rail and bottom rail and round balusters [spindles]. To make it special I am going to have a local shop replicate the front grill of a vintage Ferrari in the middle of the railing.

After researching images I decided the aluminum blade front grill of the Queen Mother to have the most appropriate proportions and shape of any of the production Ferraris. I always loved the QM style.

So......my request is for a QM owner to photograph and give me some measurements....height, width, depth and whatever to help my metal contractor re-create the grill for the center of my railing. I think some basic measurements and lots of pictures will give him enough to do the project.

Anyone out there to help me out with this?

PS: I have a 330 GTC but the grill is smaller than the QM and better suited to the application.

thanks much
    Steve

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I can’t help.

But a suggestion: make the metal top rail out of the same oval tubing as an old Ferrari frame, and the balusters to look like the body-holding outriggers. Anyone who knows old Ferraris will be very impressed.

Matt

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have an original LWB California Spyder grill if that is of interest?

4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    i have 2 ellena grills that i can sell and i have new grill vertical and horizontal slats that i made as well for the Ellena.

maybe these could help you?

Attached Files:

SonomaRik likes this.
  5. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
  6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thank you Marcus! I really appreciate your assistance in this unique process of putting together the details of my new garage.

7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Matt....I like your idea of the top railing in the same shape as the chassis tubing. Any idea of dimensions or how I can research for same? Also the outriggers. Thanks much for the idea.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    2mm wall thickness, either 80x45mm or 85x50mm. (That might only be 246 Dino’s.)

But it’s roughly right. You can get tubing from a lot of places. Google it, and decide on mild or stainless steel, whether you want it painted or shiny metal.

Matt