F1 auto mode? | FerrariChat

F1 auto mode?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaf430, Apr 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have a 2005 spider F1, the few times I tried the auto mode on the F1, it is terrible... no way could you actually drive in auto... don't know if its just my car or maybe my year, but anyone else with a 2005 model year try using auto mode... wondering if my car is working as it should or I have some issue.... shifts fine when I shift the car.. thanks

2. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    Mine is a 2007 - so could be some differences from your 2005 - but when I use auto mode it is fairly smooth. The shifts are easy and comfortable.

3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My 2009 operates and shifts fine in Auto Mode, just not as fun as using the paddles.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you mean terrible compared to a torque converter automatic or DCT in auto, yup. If you want to enjoy a dry clutch F1 system, drive it exactly like you would a three pedal car with one pedal missing.

wiley355 and Skidkid like this.
  5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    feels like mine slides into gear very slowly , if you want to try to pass someone really doesn't kick down a gear.... its always in to high of a gear

6. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    yes the auto mode isn't great with single clutch system, the 430 version is vast superior to the 360 or the duo select versions already though. I was happy to have a choice, like when driving in SF, i some times turn the auto mode on so i could focus more on the surrounding traffic but more so about avoiding potholes. The paddles are always there for a quick override so just use features to your advantage you see fit.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is no doubt that it short shifts everything so you are at least 2 gears higher than you want for any power. Just know what it does and use it for those specific situations where it brings value.

bocaf430 likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my 06 and 07 are both driveable but nothing compared to a 458 or FF.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    After 12 years using F1, it takes no concentration to use and everything is automatic, so to speak. Mine has never been in Auto since I bought her.

cole328 likes this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    my 07 was terrible in auto mode. the shifts were really lazy and it shifted up to sixth as soon as it could.

bocaf430 likes this.
  11. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I don't use the auto mode, but just in case someone had to drive my car …. I want it to work correctly.... I am only guessing... if my car is shifting fine when I manually shift it... then the auto mode should work as it was intended? I guess next time it's in for service, I will have it checked out.... car is due for some fluids etc, need my top lift fixed.. maybe do the F1 fluid change out, not sure if it was ever done... hopefully virus **** show will be gone soon, and we can get on with our lives...even though the world economy will be badly hurt....who knows what is in our future from this bat flu.

12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My 08 shifts like you describe, it seems slow and shifts WAY to early. Don't like cruising in 6th gear at 35 miles per hour.just not natural. What were the engineers thinking???? Did they actually drive the car?

bocaf430 likes this.
  13. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    If you use it in race mode in auto its quite good I think, sport is Ok, but It does seem lazy.

14. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I had an '05 and an '07 Spider and honestly I never ever used the auto mode! Never, ever not even 1 time! The F1 on the 430's is awesome...just enough of a hesitation to make the experience more exhilarating.... F430's are awesome!!

15. hazimaw

hazimaw Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Mine is 2009 I sometimes use it in auto mode but only when on race mode. Shifting between gears is not too bad.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Never touched that button in my 360. Beyond me why anyone would buy a Ferrari and push the auto button.
    No cup holders, no cruise control... there's a reason for that.

HJZ360 likes this.