355 buzzing gear lever | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 buzzing gear lever

Discussion in '348/355' started by lotusk, Mar 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Great information you have shared here, but I can count on a fellow Australian for that. I will investgate this myself in the off season.

Thank you.

2. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    You are very welcome. Please feel free to pm me if you need some help. Cheers. Andy. ☺

3. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    you should also check your engine or transmission mounts....if either is sagging your shifter will be misaligned which will cause the buzzing noise as well.

4. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    After reading all the threads I could find about fixing the notorious shifter buzz, @Andy 355 's solution made sense to me. Having disassembled the shifter, I could feel there was indeed just a little play between the #10 bushing/shift rod ball assembly and the #9 part that captures it. I had some .001" brass shim stock handy, so figured I'd give this a shot.

Sliding a little shim between the shift rod ball and the bushing wasn't too difficult. I pried open the bushing just a little, made sure it was good and greased up in there, and started by folding up a little piece of shim around 3/16" wide by a little over a 1/2" tall. I folded it over twice so the finished shim was .004" thick, and "formed" it in my palm to approximate the shape of the shift rod ball, then slid it up into the bushing from the bottom. I then tried inserting the assembly into part #9, found it to be noticeably tighter but with a little wiggle still. I repeated the process, this time with an additional .002" worth of shim on the opposite side of the ball for a total of .006". I could tell the split in the bushing had become ever-so-slightly wider, and now the assembly fit into part #9, moving easily yet with no noticeable slop. Having greased it all up I reassembled everything.

I have to wait a couple weeks to road-test it, there's still some salt on my local roads, another good rainstorm and I should be good to go. Can't wait to try this out, there's a local windy road that I cruise at 4500-5500 rpm in 3rd, and I had to keep my hand on the shifter most of the time...really hope that buzz is gone! I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

kenneyd and bcar1 like this.
  5. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Excited to hear. You have exactly same prob as my car-4K-4500 rpm in 3rd & 4th gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #49 in the diagram, If you loosen the three bolts, #49 can be rotated left or right. Mark its position before loosening with some paint. Then repeat each time you adjust (different color) so you can see the progression of your adjustment.

7. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I had this issue with my former F355 which I purchased in April of 2011, and with the one which I purchased in April of 2018.

You HAVE to replace the "Bar Buffer" back at the linkage near the gearbox. It's part number 163525, shown as Item 44 on the image below:

[​IMG]

If the "Bar Buffer" turns into a fossil, which it will eventually do because rubber, you will get the vibration in the shifter no matter how fresh the Item 10 piece is.

f355spider likes this.
  8. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Just got back from taking my car for it's first drive of the season, having inserted a little brass shim inside the #10 bushing as described in post #54. The difference is night and day. I ran it for an hour on one of my regular loop drives, focusing on its previously most "buzzy" spots, and the buzz is virtually gone...a few times on the ride I could almost hear it faintly, but if I wasn't conditioned and straining to hear it, pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed anything at all. As a bonus, the shift action feels tighter and more precise as well.

Possibly another .001" of shim added to what's already in there would make it 100%, but for now I'm happy to leave it as is. I already had some .001" shim stock kicking around, so this fix cost me nothing but a little time. Thanks again to @Andy 355 for this solution, definitely worth a try.

9. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Well done Audi! Yes indeed, that is the origin of said annoying buzz. I have had many years of quiet shifter operation since fitting my shim. Case closed!

audi_328 likes this.