The BORA | Page 29 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes these ignition switches get old and become funky, the one in my K had to be jiggled sometimes to allow the best to roar awake and another I drove in Switzerland had the same issue. I would follow Ivan's advice and hopefully it is that. If not perhaps a worn nearly cut wire in some deep recess.

I had a very puzzling electrical issue on a 924 Turbo that I took from Florida to Europe in 1992 and right when I was in Stuttgart and was going to the Porsche factory it started so just before my factory tour I put in their classic department and even they could not figure it out: they said ach mein Herr you have to buy der new steering rack for 15000DM...I declined and a nearby Bosch station figured it out: a relay was overheating causing all kinds of issues such as the engine dying at 200kph on the Autobahn amidst a train of Mercedeses...I never pushed the clutch and warning button so fast....

In other news this was just listed today by Aaldering, a gorgeous Euro Bora: I am absolutely not involved.

http://www.gallery-aaldering.com/collection/maserati-bora-4700-european-version-only-65040-kms-from-new-matching-numbers-colors-en/

71Satisfaction likes this.
  2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks gentlemen,
    Prior to the failure, the car was parked from a previous trouble-free drive. I just put the key in and when turned, immediately noticed the fuel pump didn't activate. The ignition switch is a great start. I'll try a hot lead jumper if the problem isn't obvious by visual inspection.
    - Art

3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes, with these facts in hand, IMHO we are talking an intermittent contact issue.
    Play with that switch for a few minutes.
    Also disconnect everything from the + terminal of battery check / clean every connection and retry.

Let us know!

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you,
    Looking at the back of the ignition switch, you can see a thick Pink Wire. That Pink Wire goes to a 4-terminal connector. At that connector I checked there is 12v power from the battery. So the wiring to that point is good. No amount of fiddling around with the key or the ignition switch restored any power beyond the ignition switch. This seems to indeed isolate the ignition switch as the problem. I've opened up the steering column and released the ignition switch. I will pull the assembly out tomorrow to check continuity in it.

Wonder if anything inside the ign switch is rebuildable? ..are there any sources for a new or reconditioned one?
    Cheers,
    - Art
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    OK. Good.
    Got a new one from MIE a few years ago.
    Talk to Stuart.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    greg328 likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That has been going on for years alas, creative bending of the truth...

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Art,

That switch is rather common and was used by many Italian cars of the era. Just do a search on ebay for "Fiat ignition switch" and you will see it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-81-82-Fiat-Dino-Maserati-Ignition-Switch-124-Spider-2000-850-Sports-Coupe/222978690472?fits=Make%3AFiat&hash=item33ea90cda8:g:h2sAAOSwZy1dnJU3

The electrical part of the switch can be easily disassembled by removing a retaining ring. If the connections have not melted they can sometimes be repaired by sanding the contact points and applying dielectric grease. Replacement switches require a small modification to make them fit your Bora. In the photos you can see an original switch next to the replacement. The replacement has a tab that needs to be cut with something like a Dremel tool. Also, it is missing the pigtail for the key buzzer (no big deal).
    I would start by cleaning the contacts as this could be a quick and easy fix.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Froggie, staatsof and 71Satisfaction like this.
  9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks Ivan,
    A Fiat core exchange will match nicely with the Fiat key my local locksmith sourced to cut me a replacement, after the original ignition key broke last summer.

The 4-terminal connector was a @&^$# to feed out of the steering column, but I got it out with 10 minutes of patience and finesse. Good, I spotted that retaining ring on the back, so will disassemble the switch and inspect what's going on inside. Yep, I see the key buzzer pigtail you're talking about. Glad to be rid of it.

Updates to continue.
    Cheers,
    - Art

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ivan,
    If it comes to a replacement switch, do you know if there is a quality difference betw the Nieman and the "Fiat knock-off"?
    - Art

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The quality of the originally seems much better.

Ivan

71Satisfaction likes this.
  12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Not having success restoring function to the original. Still going to try working it over one more time. There are two replacement types offered on eBay.
    - $79.99 for an apparent Fiat "generic".
    - $150-200 for a Nieman.

I'm wondering if the there is a quality difference between those two replacements.
    Grazie,
    - Art

PS - It's now much more possible that reluctance for the starter to engage over the past year or so ...was a problem related to the ignition switch.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

You want to see Fabio get uncomfortable, mention Maserati certified a particular car. The only recognized certification of any Maserati is done through Adolfo Orsi.

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    There probably is a quality difference. The original switch was made in Italy by Sipea which apparently licensed it from Nieman. Ask the seller if the Nieman switch is made in Italy, it should say it on the switch.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

staatsof and 71Satisfaction like this.
  15. Angus81

Angus81 Karting

Oct 15, 2011
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Angus Young
    The history of this BORA 117.206 is clean, Imported by Thépenier and french Owners, original colour combo maybe that's what Aaldering means by "certified" ??

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Maserati’s “Classiche” department only provides copies of the Original documents associated with a particular car. It does not carrying out inspections like that of Ferrari’s Classiche which is a complete Ansa Probe.

17. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    For a moment I thought this was the same car as the (sold) car at Cristiano Luzzago, but it is not, that is a 4900 US car (AM117/49.648), only the color is the same:
    http://www.cristianoluzzago.it/collezione-auto-classiche-epoca-storiche/1973-maserati-bora-4-900/

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've never had to futz with this stuff on mine so I don't know if there's a relay involved in the starter solenoid circuit or not. There should be. Windows too when you can get around to it.
    Good luck Art, I'm sure you'll get it fixed right.

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Needs an interior redo. Look closely at those seats, side boslters have crumbled ... typical.
    No engine shots ...

33guana and boralogist like this.
  20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    There should be a relay between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid but there is none. If you look closely at the photos on post 708 you will see a note I wrote years ago on the switch that failed which states "starter not working". A relay would have saved this switch.

Agree there should have been relays for the power windows, also there should be one for the AC compressor. There is one for the high beam but I believe there is none on the Bora for the regular headlight beams. I know for sure on the Ghibli they ran full amperage through the stalk switch for the regular headlight beams.... which is not a smart way to do it.

Ivan

Froggie likes this.
  21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In looking at the lovely Blue Bora I'm also reminded of the whole footrest or no footrest and battery in front of your feet on the passenger side issue.
    I've seen a Bora with the battery removed and legroom restored which I think is an admirable goal but I've never seen it done in a totally successful manner.
    A battery in the luggage compartment is a no go for me. Perhaps as wide low profile battery it wouldn't look so bad?

I had thought about putting it in the center of the spare tire but weight at the tail end and heat issues always dissuaded me from going that route with the typical battery of that time.

But with today's modern batteries I wonder if you could connect multiple smaller one's together in some of the underutilized compartments of the car and pull it off?

22. GSJFerrari

GSJFerrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 12, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    Full Name:
    Greg Jones
  23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland