458 - What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

458 What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ModerateMike, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for showing me that. So yeah, like I said, I never said I delighted in their misfortune or dance on their grave. I just said they ****ed up.

2. barkanddex

barkanddex Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    Drinking Aperol Spritz and watching iamcharlesleclerc16 on Twitch now. Have at it. Thread clearly derailed. Car comes in a week.

IloveGT and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You were sharper and faster than this moderator. And I thank you for bringing us all back on topic.

I know you and Mike must be considerably busy, but have you concocted any plans yet for a joy ride or two once the car arrives? Any favorite routes?

Will be very nice to hear your review. It’s not often that we can have access to a couple’s feedback on a car. A lady’s and a gentleman’s take on the same car. Usually my girlfriend likes/spots things in the car that I haven’t noticed, so I’ll be looking forward to it.

An Aperol Spritz while you wait, definitely sounds like a plan!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

barkanddex likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #154 paulchua, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    You said sarcastically you would have "plenty of sympathy" for the person that suffered financial misfortune due to Covid-19; the logical antithesis is "no sympathy." That's how sarcasm works, by the way.

"Dancing on the grave" is a figure of speech, in this case having "no sympathy" for someone (in your own words) "F-ed" up with financial difficulty stemming from dying of Covid-19

Hey, you are you.

Not sure why you're getting worked up, you said yourself you shouldn't stress on internet comments. I enjoy consistently pointing out your inconsistency. It's like playing Where's Waldo.

Perhaps I'm one honest person reflecting what your persona is, if you don't like it, I'm not the one you really should be upset about.

Napoli and IloveGT like this.
  5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Who said I'm upset? It's a quarantine and it takes two second to correct you. You're putting words in my mouth for some reason. Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gentlemen,

Why don’t we follow in Natalie’s footsteps and the three of us go for a round or six of Aperol Spritz and put it behind us?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Make mine a Chianti. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. Sean O'Neill

Sean O'Neill Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sean O'Neill
    Yeah. I bought my house at the bottom of the market and now
    Agreed. I bought my house in 2012 at the bottom of the local market, sucked for the seller but good for me. Also bought stock a couple weeks ago to get some decent pricing on some companies I had been eyeballing. Likewise, I have seen a few dealerships dropping internet prices on used Ferraris (and other cars) to move inventory at a time when many are holding onto cash. If I have the opportunity, why not take advantage. In my case, I'm looking at a much cheaper 360, 308 or 328. While I can pay more, why would I (as you can see, I'm flexible in the car, since I like them all for different reasons).

I love seeing everyone's opinions on here. Definitely gives me a fix until my wife comes around to letting me get a car we dont need.

9. Sean O'Neill

Sean O'Neill Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sean O'Neill
    Or securities fraud.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You can start a new thread to debate that.

In this thread, we’re awaiting the arrival of Mike and Natalie’s 458 Spider, their feedback, photos and should they ask for it or need it, our help with acclimatizing to their new Ferrari.

I think this thread has derailed enough already. Instead of celebrating with Mike and Natalie, we’re on the verge of addressing securities fraud.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

11. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just do not agree with the statement if your situation changes and you have to sell a 200k car you shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.
    I’m betting a lot of people that could have easily afforded a 30k car things might be looking different now.
    Each has their own situation that is affected differently. No one and I mean NO ONE imagined something like this happening on this scale.
    I don’t have a 458. I have a 328, an Alfa 4c a Gen1 MR2 and a Gen 2 MR2 turbo. Thankfully I don’t need to sell anything but if this kept up for 6 months I would probably look at thinning the herd just to circle the wagons.
    Btw I’m on the 458 forum because I’ve been thinking of clearing the garage and getting a 458 so I read about them a good bit.
    Good luck and health to all thru this mess.

blkdiablo33 and Sean O'Neill like this.
  12. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I’ll stick with Balvenie 12 on the rocks , please.... let’s enjoy life and use these forums to learn and educate.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #163 Randyslovis, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    I chimed into this post before the car was purchased. So congrats!!
    In response to Nuno's excellent request to get back on track, I thought I would give you some info on spider tips/tricks/experiences/info that may at some point help you in your spider ownership. In the interest of full disclosure, I know I have previously stated some of these things in other threads over the years. I apologize in advance to any who have read them.
    Second, as a physician I know some things make perfect sense theoretically only to be found to be completely untrue when examined from scientific not an anecdotal stand point. So anyone please feel free to disagree or disregard what I write below. It is not presented as fact/dogma. It is just what I have done to have 7 years of pain free convertible top use.

In regards to using the top, only once in 7 years of lowering/raising this top hundreds of times did it not complete a cycle. The roof would not do its last 1/4" of travel. This resulted in the windows staying up and warning chimes sounding like the Modena church bells after a Ferrari F1 win. After several restarts of car and repeated attempts it worked flawlessly and never happened again. I called my local dealer who has a more than brilliant tech there. He said that if the roof is lowered/raised when the car is on uneven ground it can lead to a "torquing" on the frame. This imperceptible (to the driver) twisting of the body may lead to the roof not lining up. I was on level ground in my garage so that wasn't the issue. More likely the occasional electronic gremlin. BUT, the point is, don't lower roof if tires/wheels are in different planes as apparently a roof issue can occur. NOTE: never read about this on Fchat so it has got to be a unicorn sighting occurrence.

Roof maintenance: the mechanism is made by Webasto in Germany. Same people that do BMW. et al. Doesn't make it any better than Italian sourced. Just means any maintenance products/servicing can be gleaned from any relationship you might have with one of those dealerships already. My Ferrari tech informed me of this so only for your info/need should you ever have an issue.

Now, back on topic:
    I have stated with no proof of mattering, that I frequently treat the "rubber' (synthetic but still petroleum based) seals. I happen to use a non silicone formula (Griot's Vinyl and Rubber Dressing) just to minimize any gasket degradation/mess from a silicone product.
    Just put roof in 1/2 way up (or down) position. When center section is straight up/perpendicular to car, you can access everything. Ignore the chimes. First, they eventually stop. Second, roof may literally start to fall. No worries. On start up you can retract or raise roof without issue. In this position you can access the gasket around rear window, on motor cover area, and every hinge point gasket. Per tech, they seal with some significant pressure when closed. To me, keeping them pliable should(?) help with said seal and its usable lifespan. One added benefit is that I get no squeaks. I have read that many guys get them. I have none. Is this the reason? No idea. I just know it makes me happy to do it. I do treat the center seam with the roof closed periodically. I just use a Q-tip (not for any reason but to keep a sponge full of the stuff off the paint) soaked in Griot's and run it along the exposed edge. I have to believe prolonged sunlight can't be good for any soft rubber area.
    When roof is in 1/2 way position, I silicone the metal hinge points. Use any lubricant (silicone, WD-40, etc) you like to hit all these hinges. There must be a dozen. I use a spray can with a fine needle attachment and have a rag around the area I spray. No reason to add silicone to head liner or leather! NET: my roof is nearly silent when operating and no squeaks.

Don't lower the roof if there is standing water on it. No the roof won't melt. Nor will it get mold/creases like a soft top could. Rather, Ferrari has NO boot under roof like they did on soft top cars. Any water will roll off onto the rear bulkhead floor and get your cabin carpet wet.

Treat the leather. Dashes can shrink and leather can crack. I know it is "sealed" leather. Doesn't matter. I swear by doing it. I got a tip from someone on Fchat years ago. He said take poster board and put it against windshield. Then use a long fat artist's brush to get to area near windshield. The poster board keeps the leather treatment from getting onto glass in an area that is virtually unreachable to clean. Plus, you do reach the leather area with the brush. I only use leather stuff that leaves the factory matte finish. I don't want my leather slick and shiny like a new pair of shoes. First, looks terrible. Second, who wants to slide on the seat?!

Open the engine cover after you get back home. This was something I always did anyway. I figured having all that significant heat trapped for hours couldn't be good. Again, not fact. That was until a Ferrari club buddy told me something. He personally rebuilt his Testarossa which now has > 200K on the clock. I can't remember the specifics, but he says that the way Ferrari stacked some parts (transmission?) in the 458, significant heat does get trapped over it. He says to help get rid of the significant heat that builds up, always raise the lid. Again, I always do it and use a fan just to get heat off car and out of garage.

Get an exhaust valve controller. I like it better than pinning exhaust open. I wrote about this in a thread that keeps popping up. You never know when a neighbor will not want to hear your car early in the AM. The valve controller lets you keep yourself and the neighbors happy.

Keep the car on a tender at all times. Replace the battery every 3 years regardless. No, I don't think the Lithium battery makes any sense. First is cost. Second is any failure in electrical system or with battery start results in inability to "jump" in standard manner per local Ferrari tech. Weight savings on a 3400 +/- car is insignificant in my opinion. My body weight (140), a few less gallons of gas, and race seats lowers the weight of the car more. Lastly, your battery is in front of passenger footwell. In a closed area. Last I heard Lithium batteries can get hot. Yes Ferrari now offers them on Pista and I think F8. Yes, Porsche offers them. I do not know if they have taken any precautions about heat, etc. Just my .02. Again, people LOVE them because they hold charge better/longer and weight issue.

Suspension: Ferrari's magnetorheologic shocks (Delphi/GM by the way) have their own ECU. That means that they too have to warm up! I kid you not. Before you start the car, just push down on the fender. Car is "soft". Not like old school sports car suspensions. The net is that until you go over a rapid succession of bumps, or light up the steering wheel lights a few times, the car may feel more wobbly than you would like.

Lastly, I prefer the ride of my car with literally, just 1lb more than factory spec of air pressure in tires. Car just feels more responsive on turn in. We are not talking about optimal track pressure. Just around town I like the way the car feels with the added pressure. Feels more sporting than cushy.

On an unrelated note, my brother is a university professor/dept. chair of medicine/emergency medicine and my sister-in-law just retired as a university professor in pulmonology. I stayed away from the shenanigans above on purpose.

Enjoy the car/life to its fullest!

Best

BLAMPEE, blkdiablo33, PTG1 and 3 others like this.
  14. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Randall,

Thank you for sharing your insight, experience and advice. It’s nothing short of a manual on how to live with and take care of a 458 Spider. Way more useful than Ferrari’s owner’s manual at that.

I’m quite worried about the dashboard’s leather shrinking. Hope that if we hydrate the leather on a regular basis, the issue becomes an if and not a when.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

barkanddex likes this.
  15. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is great info, Randy. Thank you for taking the time to share it. Believe it or not, this will actually be my first convertible car of any sort! Other things, like cooling off and rubber treatment, I've enjoyed doing for some time. Kind of like you say-- it just feels right.
    By any chance, is your brother Corey at Vanderbilt? My wife did med school there in the late 90s and says lots of people went into emergency medicine just because Dr. Slovis was so epic.
    Best,
    Mike

barkanddex and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    To help get this thread back on track, or not......

Wife oves being co-pilot in the 458 Spider (also a doc).

Hasn't driven it yet, but she enjoys the sound (pre-Kline, haha) and of course, the top down really seals it for her.

I think the new OP and wife will be thrilled - GS is a great color. That is, if you don't own Bianco Avus......

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Mike,
    Yes, my only sibling is my older brother Corey.
    If nothing else his reputation hopefully makes my comments seem more trustworthy!
    Older brothers can be a pain in the ass. At least mine is smart as a bonus. I joke that I got the looks!
    Randy

barkanddex likes this.
  18. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's a beauty! Funny that so many wives don't drive the cars. In my house, we have to race out to the garage!

AlfistaPortoghese and barkanddex like this.
  19. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Small world! Please pass along to him what a lasting positive impact he has made upon his students. They really are fond of him.

20. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Late to this thread but it is relevant to my situation:

Currently considering both of these 458 Spiders:

1:
    https://www.vandergriffhyundai.com/used/Ferrari/2014-Ferrari-458+Spider-b908fa700a0e0a175862f2ef662189bd.htm

Car was serviced at FCar dealer regularly til sold 3/20, purchased by one of the partners at the Hyundai dealer where he put 1k miles on it and is now selling it.

2:
    https://www.scottsdaleferrari.com/details-2014-ferrari-458_spider-used-zff68nha5e0199603.html

Car is basically a 1-owner......serviced solely at FoS.....bought by 2nd owner 2/20 as a toy to get him through to his Sept delivery date of a Portofino, so yes....THIS car is a consignnment. I have seen it in person and it is FLAWLESS inside and out and has Power Warranty til 2/22.

I am getting mentally close to making an offer on both of these. I guess I could be a guinea pig as to what dealer are doing due to the pandemic..

Say $185k for the white one and $200k for the Grey one.....???? Or should I go less....

So I will ask again.....this is the internet, after all.......what was the closing price onoa $220k ask?

(Yes, when I buy another F I will post all details here for future searchers like I am today!) :)

21. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    In my experience , 5-7% off asking price is the norm. Good luck on the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

PTG1 and BLAMPEE like this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    your reply just reminded us @noone1 had actually existed by looking at his old responses. Lol

BLAMPEE likes this.
  23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    go with the gray one. 10% off to start

BLAMPEE likes this.
  24. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

even on a consignment?

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Don't worry. Even without the current market, 10% below to offer is not a crazy price to offer, let alone we are in the current market. The dealer will want to make the commission and negotiate on your behalf to the owner, if you make them feel you are as serious in this car as the fact that you are not in rush or stupid.

Any relationship with this dealer before?

Red 27 likes this.