Mondial 8 New Custom Suspension Project | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 New Custom Suspension Project

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Apr 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    All,

Been making progress during these quarantine times....here are pics of my 1982 Mondial 8 suspension re-working. I have motor out and doing other stuff too.

I used QA1 shocks and 12" 350lb Eibach springs for the rear (planned 400 in front but have not installed yet).

The bottom of the shock installed straightforwardly. For the top part, I installed a spherical bearing at the top of the shock (provided by QA1). Then, I made a custom piece out of aluminum a piece to fasten top to car. The spherical bearing has an 1/2 inch bolt through it and also through my custom aluminum block.

Is the metal to metal contact with my custom piece (of the 1/2 inch bolt) fine? The bottom part of the shock has bushing. I also installed new suspension bushings on the A arms.

I also need to add someway to keep the spherical bearing centered in my custom block...maybe add some plastic-based side washers with a cylindrical outside face to match that of the custom block?

Thoughts? Comments?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19633500GT likes this.
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    WOW! That's awesome!

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Use some kind of rod end spacer, or "misalignment spacer"?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    My home shop is not fully equipped for metal working (more for wood working). It took me lots of effort to cut out a hole using a new hole saw blade (1.75") for wood/metal. My drill press could not handle it as well as my powerful electric hand drill for which I have a portable stand to keep it perpendicular (for all other smaller diameter holes the drill press was just fine). It took about 2-3 hours of non-stop work to get the 2 inch tall by 1.75" diameter cylinder bored out. I used oil and periodically dipped the aluminum in water to cool it down and took breaks to keep the drill from overheating.

How would I do the above milling or is there a simpler way to make the hole? I do have a router and router table but not sure if that can mill aluminum. I still have to make the custom piece for the other side of the car.

I *think* the front does not require such a custom block.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Maybe farm it out to a machine shop. Just send them your specs for a quote. I can't imagine that it would be too expensive.

8. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks! But that is too complicated :) I'd rather do in my shop....went to hardware store to see if a magic bit/saw exists but that best I found was a new high quality hole saw...guess will repeat to make the next/final piece...already have the aluminum block, etc.

9. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I also have been working on a top mount for my Mondial. Is there any reason the top of the spring has to be in the QA1 spring cup vs the stock style mount where the chassis takes the load?

10. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Hmmm ....maybe that is equivalent....however a key thing is the top stock mount supports a small amount of twist. That is why I put a spherical bearing on top. I think if you strongly compress the shock it needs to undergo a few degrees of twist about the shock main bar....a spherical bearing like what I use supports such. No twist would imply the two suspension frames and the shock top support are perfectly synchronized .... Which is hard to imagine is the case....

If you simply wanted to connect the top shock connection into the stock mount you would need to extend the thread somehow or build a custom piece. Further it would make the connection vertically taller and then achieving a slight lowering might be hard.

This is according to my estimates ... It's not on the road yet....

Btw, do you have an 8 with motor in?

Comments?

Sent from my SM-A750GN using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a 83 Mondial QV with the engine in, I'd say hopefully never to be removed but the older I get I'm thinking engine out maybe better.

I've done my rears using this method:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/new-owner-1982-giallo-questions-pictures-and-my-adventures.564668/page-3#post-146073082

Here's another couple choices:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/shock-top-mount-option.498765/
    I checked with him and his machinist was not interested in doing a run of the mounts

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/koni-series-82-shocks-modified-for-adjustable-ride-height.442485/

And then there's my idea of how to DIY in my simple pictures. The mount I'm thinking of making keeps the weight of the car on the chassis spring pads and only the shock relies on my mounting plate and welding.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Hmmm.....you made me realize the difference of a top mount where the car weight is on the top plate vs not. The second link you set seems quite similar to mine in terms of where the weight is....

Regardless, one wheel is done and the other soon, so I guess will see eventually how it goes. I have, btw, another car with a top mount similar to what I am making (a Porsche 951) and it does just fine on track and on street, etc. So perhaps the top mount can handle it :) The aluminum structure I made is surely strong enough. Perhaps the weakest link is the 1/2 inch bolt thru the eyelet which is essentially is holding all the weight.... I suppose the bolt can hold it?

13. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’m sure a high grade bolt is sufficient.

14. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    You are right. With a civil engineer friend of mine we looked it up..my 0.5 inch grade 5 steel bolt has a shear resistance of at least 11,500 lbs (grade 8 has 14,500lbs). Each wheel holds 800 lbs or so plus say a 2x factor maybe on curves? Regardless, well under 11,500 lbs. Maybe will get grade 8 bolts just for kicks...I think they are easily available at hardware stores....

Sent from my SM-A750GN using FerrariChat.com mobile app