What’s needed to convert from Daytona seats to Carbon Race Seats | FerrariChat

What’s needed to convert from Daytona seats to Carbon Race Seats

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Citadel, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    I did multiple searches and didn’t see a definitive answer.
    What is needed to convert from stock Daytona seats to carbon race seats?
    A set of carbon seats from a 458 or 488 of course.
    Do I need anything special for the passenger seat?
    Anything needed to not trigger the airbag light?
    I saw threads taking about this but no one has done a write up on how to install and have everything function normally.
    My stock seats are fully powered.

thanks

IloveGT likes this.
  2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    It might be cheaper to buy or trade for a car with the seats you want. I looked at the cost of this a year or two ago and seats were 20k and racing seat car premiums were negligible.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    #3 DoubleD33, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    couple disclaimers.

I can’t say if a software update would be needed or not. The connectors for the jumper have Delphi written on them so if the jumper is unobtanium or the price of a child you could probably easily make one. You also had a thread asking about euro seats if I remember correctly. If you get euro seats all should swap from side to side with the unknown of the seat tilt mechanism. I would also be interested to know which side of the seat the baby smart tag is on as it is on the door side on LH drive models. The babysmart tag is sewn into the seat and if it were on the center console side on the euro cars it would support the seats being mostly the same and probably mean the tilt mechanism would be easily swapped. Just a thought not facts behind it.

Let’s start with the drivers seat. I suspect the harness you have is shown in the picture with the two connectors. These would be the wires coming out from the main harness under the seat. As you can see the seat only has a white connector on it with two wires. The picture is of the jumper and it on only 2 wires are used. It plugs into the blue connector on the body harness then to the white on the seat. I am sure this is for the seatbelt warning light and two wires makes sense.

Lastly the seat tracks. The seats bolt to the car with 4 bolts. One in each corner. I suspect the rails you have would bolt on to the seat. The drivers seat does have an manual height adjustment that would probably require you to buy so it fits properly. There is nothing to it as it is a LH and RH piece of metal with assorted holes in it for changing positions.

View attachment 2926916 View attachment 2926917 View attachment 2926918 View attachment 2926919

Attached Files:

4. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    #4 DoubleD33, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    The passenger seat has the one blue connector coming out of the factory harness. The passenger seat also has the same connector made onto it. This one looks like a direct plug and play. I suspect this is for the airbag. I am not clear if the airbag is vin coded in the computer thus an error message may arise.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

5. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why not unplug the seat you have and see if it throws codes, if not great its just a mechanical swap as the carbon ones have no electric parts in. Only issue I believe comes up if you have electrochromatic mirrors and electric adjustable steering column as those do go via the electric seat to sync up. I looked at doing it before but decided not to in the end as no one could give me a clear understanding of exactly needed to be done

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Carbon seats swap are in essence plug and play.

There are electric parts on the carbon seats as they incline angle has an adjustment that is electric.
    Many threads here on the swap and fchatters who’ve done it.

Also several on the board with seats to sell.

Most swap seats for use and swap back to stock when selling.

7. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    the carbon seats I am looking at right now are from Germany so they should have the driver seat on the left side like in the US.

8. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    @DoubleD33 - "The connectors for the jumper have Delphi written on them so if the jumper is unobtanium or the price of a child you could probably easily make one. "
    Do you have a part number for the Delphi part?

9. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I do not have the part number on them.

I suspect a long search of the Delphi connector catalog would yield something.

If I have some time this afternoon I may venture into that realm.

10. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Aptiv seems to be the new Delphi. After a little looking I believe it is a GT mixed 150/280 12 pin connector.

this should get you a good start. The Aptiv website is very good. Also an old Delphi catalogue may help also. Then you have to buy the pins and a few other pieces to build your connector.

I don’t t know your skills but it is tedious work.

11. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    @DoubleD33
    When you say: "The passenger seat also has the same connector made onto it. This one looks like a direct plug and play. I suspect this is for the airbag"

Do you mean the car harness under the passenger seat, has a white connector that plugs directly into the small white connector attached to the bottom of the passenger side race seat?

12. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    @Citadel

The passenger seat has the same white connector that I believe is for the seatbelt. It also has the air bag sensor connector for the baby smart seat. As you can see in the attached picture the seat only has one connector to plug in to the cars harness. The wires are combined in the seat harness meaning you can see the white connector plugged into the harness that is made into the seat. I suspect you can’t buy this seat without that blue connector as you can see the wiring goes into the seat.

If you get closer to doing this I would like to help identify the parts list for the Delphi connector and work on a pin out diagram along with do a write up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Just did this on a 2014 spider. Bought seats that were originally from Europe. I found the electric and heated seats so uncomfortable around the upper thigh area that I almost sold the car. The seats in my 2012 Mac were so much better, considered a conversion to those at one point. Although the outcome is great, I would not recommend it due to cost, aggravation and ultimately modifying the car possibly affecting resale. Also you would have to buy many parts in order to keep the original seats in one piece for reinstallation on resale. My dealer, service manager and tech were all superb and interested in the project, but I can tell you that Ferrari will NOT sell you the proxy file that will make your life easy. You will have to do some work arounds and end up with a non functioning steering column (I found an ok work around for this too).

I understand that if you buy the seats from Ferrari, they will include the proxy file. This may be the easiest way to go if you plan to keep the car for a while.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

PTG1 likes this.
  14. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    @Brambleworth
    what modifications did you need to do? What is a proxy file?

15. Brambleworth

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Issues that needed to be addressed:
    1. European seat rails had a different bolt pattern, one didn’t fit and had to be modified.
    2. Had to pull occupancy sensor out of old passenger seat and install in new race seat.
    3. Had to remove seat ecu’s and move to new seats which had an area to mount underneath, but unfortunately they rubbed on the floor pan and I had to move them to the shelf behind the seat. Planning to build some sort of box to hide them.
    4. The proxy file is the software that defines the car’s options for the main ecu, it must be programmed to tell the cars computer that it now has race seats with no heat or electric control. The drivers seat ecu controls the steering column, so without this proxy file the column does not adjust. It moves during key on and key off though. The work around is to set the column where you want it before you pull the old seats. I was able to adjust height by tapping the adjustment switch while the wheel was moving down on key on. It the. Held that height. No way to telescope. Ferrari will no longer sell or supply this file, which would allow the column to operate normally. I have heard that some cars lost power to the side view mirrors, but mine didn’t.
    5. Dealer had to order two short seat harnesses for $1500.
    6. Dealer charged $6700 total for the work.
    7. Will have to build some sort of bins, speakers or glove boxes behind seats to hide seat ecu’s. More cost.
    8. I had to reupholster the seats because of the unusual Bordeau leather color in my car.
    9. I had the seat hinge plastic covers wrapped in CF.

The good parts:
    1. Super comfortable and great looking seats.
    2. Installed seat heaters which are not available in factory race seats.

Cost:

seats............... 8,000
    Reupholster
    & heaters........12,000
    CF work.......... 3,500
    Dealer............. 6,700

As you can see, maybe better and easier to order from Ferrari in the first place and get your proxy file. Certainly better for resale.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    @Brambleworth
    What country were the seats from?
    What is the occupancy sensor? Where does it install?
    Why did you need the ECUs from the original seats?
    What happens if you don’t reuse the ECUs?

17. Brambleworth

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Don’t know which country.
    Passenger seat occupancy sensor is a thin pad that installs over the pad and under the leather. Tells the SRS that someone is in the seat.
    Had to reuse ecu’s because new seats didn’t have them.
    Without ecu’s nothing works and lots of warning lights on the dash. Electric rake adjustment wouldn’t work on seats.

18. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks. How are the ECUs removed from the original seats?
    Are they just bolted to the bottom?
    Did the ECU wires simply unplug from the original seats or did you need to cut any wires?
    Did you need the ecu from the original passenger seat as well?
    Looks like you tried to install the ECUs under the new seats. If you added a spacer to lift the seat rails and inch would the ECUs fit under the seats?
    How many wires were on the bottom of the new carbon seats?
    Did you just plug those wires into the original ECUs?

19. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008

Thats commitment, I just couldn't live with that mess. Better off just trading in for a different car with right spec.

PTG1 likes this.
  20. Brambleworth

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The ecu’s were bolted to the bottom of the original seats and they were unplugged easily.
    Each seat has its own ecu.
    I didn’t raise the seats because my head is getting close to the roof.
    Wasn’t there when the dealer hooked up the wires.
    I am building a Box across the rear shelf that will hide the two ecu’s and give me a lockable glove box in the middle.

I didn’t want to sell the car and replace it as it is spec-ed exactly as I want and has many nice upgrades that I didn’t want to do again. The seats were the only problem. Just not comfortable for me. I thought over time they would break in or I would get used to them, but the thigh bolsters just don’t have enough padding. And yes this was a tough project and not much fun, but almost finished now.

21. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    thanks @ Brambleworth
    I called my Ferrari dealer today and they said they have done the conversion from stock seats to race seats a few times.
    They said they need to upgrade my proxy file ($2,500) and then there would be 5 hours of labor to install.
    I know you mentioned your dealer would not sell the proxy file to you. Is selling the proxy file a decision the local dealer makes or is it decided my Ferrari North America?
    My dealer said they get the proxy file from Ferrari North America.
    thoughts?

22. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    My firm belief it EVERY Ferrari should come with the carbon Race seats! They are super comfortable and really no reason not to get them. As my wife put it, the car only looks like a real Ferrari with the "Race" seats. The other seats look bland and belong in a Mercedes....

Anyways, I knew this was the deal breaker option for us when we were shopping. We really wanted the front lifter but the seats was a make or break thingy so that was always the first question when shopping.

Here's my setup, love it! Frankly if the car did not have these seats, we would not own one.

[​IMG]

23. Brambleworth

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    My dealer went up the ladder and was absolutely refused when it came to an upgraded proxy file. Apparently there was some sort of lawsuit against Ferrari that made the lawyers stop the sale of modified proxy files. They will give you a copy of your car’s original one, that’s it I was told.
    Don’t make the mistake I did by buying the seats first and finding this out at the end of the installation.

24. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    @Brambleworth...Any chance you can share the invoice with the parts your dealer used? You can PM them to me if that works. I already bought the seats last week and they are being shipped from Germany.

25. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    @Brambleworth... If you had an extra inch under the seats would the ECUs fit?