430 - 07 F430 questions | FerrariChat

430 07 F430 questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Invidious, Apr 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Invidious

Invidious Rookie

Apr 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    B-rad
    Hello, looking at a July 07 built F430 spider, brought my handy list of things to check for that I’ve found on multiple locations of this site (thanks!), and I have a few questions that I’m hoping to get some advice on. The car has almost 26k on it, but it was just serviced at the local Ferrari dealer where they had the clutch done replaced along with the rear main deal and all other related components. Most expensive repair bill I’ve ever seen and hope it stays that way.

Anyways, the E-diff light came on during the test drive, she claims there’s nothing wrong. The dealer did say the light has been checked out but they found it’s a “false” light. Another warning light was the yellow top warning light was on during the test drive as well, didn’t get time to really question it, I’m wondering if it’s saying the top is open or it’s saying something is wrong. And my final concern is, the front bumper is pretty trashed since she would bottom out on her driveway coming in and out. Small cracking on the right side. She came down on her price to what I’d consider a fair deal over the phone before looking at it. But after seeing the car in person, I was quite surprised on how much damage was done to the front bumper. I just assumed most Ferrari owners are super obsessed with their cars. And the car is missing it’s OEM wheels. Has nice aftermarket ones but they aren’t factory.

So I guess my real question is and I know it’s impossible to really put a number on a car without actually seeing it, especially in this market, but what do you think a fair number would be?

She was asking 95k, but before I even looked at it, she came down a decent amount but still high now that I’ve seen it. I’m thinking of going even lower now that I’m seeing how much it may cost just to get the car “right”

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Be absolutely sure about the warning lights before proceeding or at least get a second opinion

The bumper underside is traditionally very vulnerable

Both the above would usually be covered by a PPI which is why they are recommended

It would help to get an idea of your location

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The bumper does get some damage from speed bumps, but unless it has big cracks or bits missing they can normally be fixed with filler or more serious then fibre glass. its only 4 nuts to let it off but can be a pig to refit.

if the battery is a bit tried you might get the e diff light on when starting but not when running- i would steer clear until they sort that as could be expensive. I have never seen one come on when driving and saying it is a false light is a bit much. Something is triggering it to come on and u need that sorted. Look at the price of a clutch, gives u an idea of repair costs.
    You would not get that sort of money in the uk on a car with half that miles, very steep to me but i am not in the us.
    Ask for the oem wheels and let her have the aftermarket ones
    I know nothing about the roof

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is this in the US or somewhere else?
    does the car have OEM headers? certainly sound like for 95K you can find a cleaner car...there is no shortage of 430s available. i wldnt buy the car until the light is addressed.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would tend to agree with this ... You an do better with that price range ... The bumper is not uncommon but the other stuff and dealer answers would make me strongly considering walking away..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. Invidious

Invidious Rookie

Apr 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    B-rad
    The car is located in The US, specifically New England area and I’m from New England as well, my apologies, I forgot that this section was worldwide.

I know the lights need to be addressed, but I almost feel that I could offer low price and fix most things myself since I’m a master technician for another manufacturer. If not, I have enough resources to get these things figured out via other shops local to me. I just don’t know what a price would be considered a steal on a car like that.

JRE likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes thats a sound approach too. Get it for 80k and ur good.

8. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you're looking for a DIY Project car, then I'd be in the low 70K's. The lights may very well be a battery issue, easily fixed for a few hundred dollars. The bumper can be removed and properly repaired/repainted for a few thousand. BUT you could also have a TCU or serious E-Diff problem that could easily hit $20K.

That said I'm a serious DIY'er and if it were me I'd walk away... Presumably you're in the 95-105K range, and as previously mentioned there's plenty of clean cars out there. An EDiff light would scare the crap out of me and scrapes along the bottom of the bumper are one thing, but cracks are something else.

My $0.02.

JRE likes this.
  9. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The E-diff lamp may be related to the aftermarket wheels and presumably tires as well. You may wish to check out threads on this issue.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If this related to the tyre circumference , in that it might not be standard ? and messing up the system- if so this light must have been coming on since the wheels were fitted, not a “ false light “ then ?

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    i find myself in full agreement and suspect the e diff light has been on for a while

12. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The so called "idiot light" is on for a reason. A false light... how does one evaluate what the heck that means?

On a rival Ferrari Forum, a Swiss engineer has investigated the E-diff problem as it relates to wheel and tire sizes. There may be something on FerrariChat as well. The issue appears to be aftermarket wheel/tire combinations that are outside of tolerance. In such cases, the E-diff lamp is triggered.

So, to answer your question, it is possible that this light has been on since new wheels/tires were fitted. If I was considering the purchase of this vehicle, I would insist that the issue be corrected. Moreover, I would want a guarantee that no damage has taken place to require a rebuild of the gearbox at a later date.

OTOH, I believe the best advice has already been offered and that is walk away.

13. Invidious

Invidious Rookie

Apr 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    B-rad
    I did make an offer and were about 7k away from each other, I’m not caving. Problem for me is, Ferrari told her there isn’t a problem with the E-diff so she’s going to the grave that it’s fine. She won’t consider the potential problems since she’s been driving it with that light for some time. I talked to the dealer that services the car and they gave me the same run around that the diff is fine and it’s been tested out as fine. But then said they think it may be the aftermarket radio causing interference but insist it’s fine. Honestly, he made it sound like they gave it hell way back when she bought the car in 2011 and couldn’t figure it out and gave up on it, and since they say it’s fine, she’s fine.

But she’ll learn the hard way when no one will touch the car....Especially in this market.

14. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    For market comparison only, what color is it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

15. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You have the power. Act prudently. You are looking to spend a lot of money during a time when the best financed corporations in the world are holding on to their cash.

Moreover, add to your knowledge of the 430 by researching the E-diff issue as it relates to wheel/tire size. Forewarned is forearmed the next time you are evaluating a vehicle.

Invidious likes this.
  16. Invidious

Invidious Rookie

Apr 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    B-rad
    Black on black

JRE likes this.
  17. Invidious

Invidious Rookie

Apr 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    B-rad
    I should be clear that I’m not rushing to make a huge mistake. I’m willing to gamble a little to enjoy life with cars that are just incredible, but I’m looking for a safe gamble though, more now than ever because I know no one is spending.

18. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I forgot about tire size causing the EDiff light... Usually a problem when 20" wheels are fitted, the computer senses wheel speeds between front and back as "out of tolerance". This is easy to rule out:

What's the tire sizes on this car? If they're not OEM spec, that could certainly (dare I say probably) be your problem.

19. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If memory serves, OEM specs are:
    (front) 225/35R19
    (rear) 285/35R19

Anything other than that could certainly cause an E-Diff light

JRE likes this.
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Ask where the original wheels are, check the tyre size against the original fitted size.
    No one has mentioned the roof alarm, mine is a coupe so dont know much about them but i know they can be a big expense if you have to fix it. All in all i think i would pass on this thing