What is this? | FerrariChat

What is this?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by hwyman, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
  2. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    #2 bruzzifumi, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Hi, it looks as the 2 ECUs that monitorize the temperature of the catalyzers (and eventually turn on the "slow down" warning light...) has been jumped.
    These ECUs are a pretty common fault of our cars, there are many threads about "slow down" warning light.
    If your car is running without cats, that is not an issue at all, but if you do have cats, I'd fit new ECUs, which are not that expensive after all...

3. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    Sorry...silly me:(! Forget what I wrote...that is NOT the cat ecu plug... No Idea what it's for, but on my 1997 Europen 550 it is "jumped" with an original cable, with no visible resistance through it...

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is that a resistor in the jumper wire? If the colour code is brown-red-brown-gold (120 ohms), it may have something to do with the right bank engine ECU to left bank engine ECU datalink.

It's shown in the wiring diagrams...

See equipment number 152

Ferrari_550_Right_Bank(1~6)_Injection

At first I thought it might be a jumper for daylight running lights, but that has different coloured wires.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Does your 550 have Canada daytime running lamps?

6. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    It does have daytime running lights. Odd it comes out of the black box under the windshield along with a few other larger insulated cables

7. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The daytime running lights jumper for my 550 is next to the fuse box in the right side foot well.

Qavion likes this.
  8. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    That must be it.. looks like a previous owner hack

9. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Qavion likes this.
  10. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Yup that’s the part... who would’ve thought that would be factory! And part of the abs system

11. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    What’s funny is the 456M uses the exact same ABS ECU, but it does not have any jumpers.

12. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Strange, seems like an after thought

13. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    What are the wire colours on the other side of the jumper? Yellow, black and ???

Looking at the 550 wiring diagram for the ABS/ASR, the only 3 pin connector with yellow and black wires has the strange label "Connecting joint between ABS/jumper or electric actuators".

Ferrari_550_ABS_&_ASR_Wiring_Diagram

15. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Very strange! I seem to recall the jumper has a specific resistance as well, like 15ohms, so it must be defeating/neutralizing something in the system that is active in the 456M.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think it's a Canbus resistor. It may be enabling rather than disabling something.

For the technophiles...

https://www.ni.com/en-au/innovations/white-papers/09/can-physical-layer-and-termination-guide.html

"High-speed CAN is the most common CAN transceiver. It is used in nearly every production automobile and is required in model year 2008 and later On-Board-Diagnostic (OBD-II) vehicles sold in the USA. "

"
    High-Speed/FD CAN Termination
    For high-speed/FD CAN, both ends of the pair of signal wires (CAN_H and CAN_L) must be terminated. This is because communication flows both ways on the CAN bus. CAN_L is pin 2 and CAN_H is pin 7 on the standard 9-pin D-SUB connector. The termination resistors on a cable should match the nominal impedance of the cable. ISO 11898 requires a cable with a nominal impedance of 120 Ω; therefore, you should use 120 Ω resistors for termination. If you place multiple devices along the cable, only the devices on the ends of the cable need termination resistors."

niftyfivefifty likes this.