Spark Plug Wire Clips, 3D printed files | FerrariChat

Spark Plug Wire Clips, 3D printed files

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Apr 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hi all,

My journey to owning this car was influenced by many of you. I read up for years before purchasing my car. This is a way I can give back.

The factory clips are ABS injection molded plastic. They age and get brittle with heat. When I refinished my valve covers, I was hesitant to reinstall parts that were going to do the same thing again.

I opted to draw them in CAD and 3D print them. I used a nylon and chopped carbon fiber printer and they came out great. These tension-fit into the existing hollow "stems" left behind when you remove your factory ones. These require no glue or adhesive and will last many, many times longer than factory. I am sure other materials would be fine on other printers. If not, just print them again. My total production cost were under 20 for all of them.

Here are my files, please feel free to use them. I want to give back the way others have helped me.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4303259
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

lagunacc, 66MK, TerryG! and 4 others like this.
  2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ok... i take back everything i said about the nintendo generation.

that is some really great work and a novel solution!

3. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Now, if you could 3D print a couple of backup ECUs...

tommydogs, turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    One day... you can bet that the technology to do an ecu will exist!

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I replaced mine with original some have been broken, the new ones

just wanted to download all but I got an error: 404
    when I download the single files it works :)

6. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I would absolutely bet hard-cash that an Arduino Microcontroller could do the exact same job and cost about 30 bucks in parts. The Arduino is a very small and inexpensive computer that you can program and wire up to things. The ECU in these cars is VERY simple as you know and only adds/subtracts inputs based on sensor readings. That is the EXACT thing an Arduino could do. My car doesn't have 02's (Lambda, correct?) so for the Euro cars it would be even simpler. If someone was any good at programming, I think that would be an amazing project. Can you imagine a $100 turn-key solution that plugs into your existing wiring harness, and if it ever goes bad, a replacement would be 15 bucks and a flash programming with a USB cable?

66MK, turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  7. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That would be a delightful solution to an obsolescence issue that many owners fear may ultimately be the cause for having to scrap a vehicle.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great idea, but for programming you need the datas from the orignal ECU
    I work a little with arduino ( have this in my koenig competition for boost conrol ) and I think this would be a great solution to replace the original ones. best would be then to use again the old housing, so nobody see a difference.

9. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have the ROM data for my ECUs. As for the housing, it would make no difference to me if it looked different, in fact, an improvement in the housing that would improve reliability in the heat of the engine compartment would be welcomed.

There will reach a point when owners will be grateful for solutions that keep their vehicles functional. A "stock" look will be irrelevant.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how you got them?
    can publish here?

for concours you need original ( looking) :)

tommydogs likes this.
  11. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    c4b4the04 and 66MK like this.
  12. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    c4b4the04 likes this.
  13. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Help me understand. The op talks about ‘existing hollow stems’ that these printed ones fit into that are left behind when the stock ones are removed. The ones available from vendors appear to be 2 piece, with a larger stem and peg that I assume fit inside. As I replaced mine while in the car, I actually can’t see what’s happening and what my printed ones fit into. They pressed fit nicely.

Are the ‘existing hollow stems left behind when the stock ones removed’ part of the original stem that has broken off? So what I removed with the drill bit (turned it with my fingers - was a bit of work) the peg that fit inside? And are the printed ones going into part of the original broken clip?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    From memory I don’t believe the OEM clips had a “hollow stem”, this may be the remnant of the factory clip breaking off flush with the valve cover. The valve cover has a machined hole that the clip fits in to and the the pin gets driven in causing expansion and a friction fit. Someone feel free to correct me as my memory is a bit challenged ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Yeah that what I was thinking too. I can modify to change the dia of the stem pretty easily, but would be a bit harder to make hollow with a dowel. Might be easiest and strongest to make a sold peg with serrated outer surface that can simply be tapped in. Will need to do some trial and error. To get just right. Will have to wait till an engine out…

16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Awesome work!! I'll be downloading and printing some from resin (don't have an FDM printer). I did find one website in Europe that has original's available. But I'd rather just change them all every major with printed versions.

17. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    That is exactly what happens. The original clip has the push pin in the center to "spread" the plastic in the factory opening, then often they break off flush at the valve cover. My models easily press into place where the push pin normally resides. I am now 2.5 years on, with 4000 miles and not once has one come loose. I also installed these in a friend's 308 and they are the same. So it is a nice solution that you don't risk damaging the valve cover finish to get the old broken bits out.

Conversely, if you do have the old one completely out, you can simply print a 3D sleeve that goes into the opening and then the file I shared pushes into that. I have installed them both ways.

Glad that some good came from my pandemic silliness. I've still got several other files I made as well.

Cassidy

Basal Skull likes this.
  18. Basal Skull

Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I’ve made some with larger stems by modifying your files, that may fit without any residual hollow stems. But I’d have to wait to try how well they would fit into the holes. As you know, there can be small differences in dia depending on print materials/settings. Easy to sand down a bit to fit probably. Should be even stronger as well. Will share when I get a chance to have them test fitted.

Your originals fit perfectly in my situation where I replaced them while in the car. Thx again

c4b4the04 likes this.