So this just happened ...! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

So this just happened ...!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by eziotestarossa, Mar 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Keep in mind.. most Japanese etc cars just spend their lives toddling around town.

Most Ferrari get thrashed every time they hit the road. Far too many get thrashed while still cold... then put away wet.

Much different. Yeah, of course Ferrari weak points become blatantly apparent with fewer miles on the clock.

Any area that is even slightly under or mis designed will soon rear its ugly head.

Given all that... along with the limited budgets that Ferrari had available... they did a really good job overall.

turbo-joe and tbakowsky like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree with all but you forget a few. Most manufacturers make more preproduction models than Ferrari at times makes in a full production run. Your average run of the mill new model Chevy or Toyota fleet will have covered more miles in just a few months providing product feed back than all of the Testarossas built have done to date. If you drive a Ferrari you are driving a prototype. If that does not appeal to you get a Buick.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I do agree on the shoddy repair procedures causing problems, but the irony is I have had to repair my car after it was repaired/serviced at an authorized dealer. This was before my purchase and PO had detailed receipts.

As I stated I love Ferraris and believe they make wonderful, durable engines and durable trans(mine have had no issues; 65K boxer and 74K 308qv). But they do have issues and they are not running to always make recalls. There were quite a few things during the 355 production.

If my honda breaks and I have had almost zero issues with two Accords 230K 2004 V6 taked by hurricane Sandy had trans replaced at 95K under warrantee and 160K on my 2009 4cyl no issues. My 95 E320 Mercedes has had a few more issues, damn Germans.

Regardless, I take the good with the bad with Ferraris and always remember what my old-time parts guy told me when I mentioned to him I was one day hoping to get a Ferrari "Dave, parts are about 10X what you think they are" I owned TVR Vixen at the time. He was about right. I just don't drink the cool aide they are the the best engineered cars in the world having worked on both my cars and seen up close and personal.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My ignore list just keeps getting longer.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What was the reason for separation of the gearbox?

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    change the oil

turbo-joe, tbakowsky and ago car nut like this.
  7. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    I’m looking forward (**but not looking forward $$) to getting my engine out service done, just to have a good look at the car and have a start from zero point on the maintenance items.

Love the pics in this thread. Keep them coming.

8. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    UPDATE!! My Testarossa full engine out service has been completed. BUTTT.... The technician just took the car for a drive and when the tech was pulling the car back into the garage, the car stalled on him... I'm being told the reason the car stalled on him is because.... The clutch is ''BENT'' / ''WARPED''' ... because the previous person who did the clutch job 3 years ago didn't install it correctly.... Let me know your thoughts on this one!! One thing I'm pretty sure of is that if you scroll up, theres a picture of my clutch on the work cart... so its pretty obvious they were the last ones to lay hands on the clutch.

I also must mention, the whole reason why I brought the car in for service is because it stalled on me, after waiting a while I managed to restart it & I drove it to the service center. Right when I pulled up to the service center the car stalled again. It would Crank but not start & I believe this is the exact same thing that is happening right now & it has nothing to do with the clutch....

Let me know your thoughts & what you think the problem of the car just shutting off may be! :)

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    First blush impression... sounds like BS

That said however, I have no idea why it is stalling

is it stalling as the clutch is being let out? If so, is the clutch grabbing? Any noise?

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Need more information. If the tech was able to reproduce the symptom prior to taking it apart he would have a pretty good idea what to look for, especially if its a clutch. If the clutch was hanging up for whatever reason it would be easy to narrow that down to that system and investigate while its apart. To say the clutch is bent is an amature comment to make and to make it after its back together is another mistake. I hope the labour is free if its the issue.

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Don't mean to be dense in the head, but how can a clutch issue cause the engine not to fire up? This seems more like an electrical issue...

turbo-joe and eziotestarossa like this.
  12. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    So I decided to give my advisor a call. I told him politely that the ''Bent/Warped'' clutch story was illogical & reminded him that the day I brought the car in, I had the same exact problem. So before the tech opens up the clutch housing it would be a great idea if he runs other tests because I'm 99% sure it isn't a clutch problem. I also reminded him that when I went to the shop and was allowed into the garage work space, I saw the clutch was taken apart & have pictures of it taken apart, so if for any reason there is a problem with my clutch being installed '' Incorrectly " its on their side of things and not the previous workshop who did my clutch 3 years ago. I've attached an image of proof that the car did stall upon arrival at the service center. I'm wondering if this could maybe be an alternator problem?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    It could be set to rich on the CIS.

eziotestarossa and tbakowsky like this.
  14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As you said, too little info on the symptoms..what the car was doing just before it stalled out.. where you coming to a stop? Slow maneuvering such as parking, etc..dragging the clutch etc..all important info to know..

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    think so too

if an engine stalls and not start anymore it never can be a problem of the clutch - as long as the engine is cranking with the starter

I think about an electrical problem

eziotestarossa likes this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Regardless of the so called clutch problem, should run in neutral!

turbo-joe and eziotestarossa like this.
  17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  18. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Sorry to everyone to giving you the information a little at a time,Things just randomly cross my mind and I post. I'm not really knowledgeable in this field, but love to post so everyone could learn from my experiences.

The symptoms before the car stalled on me were the following:

As I was driving, the car was idling funny making these pop pop pop sounds, there was a very strong smell odor of unburnt fuel & I remember getting home and my clothing smelling like gasoline.

Also when I would reach a Red light, the idle needle of the car was constantly going up & down & if i recall correctly it was between 1000 rpm - 2000rpm. I also felt like if I would not press the gas a little to keep the idle up when it would come to a stop, the car would shut on me. Once I reached the service center and let off the gas, I believe thats when it shut.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then only running on 6 cylinders I think

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Careful not to burn up a cat with raw fuel moving thru it.

21. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As others have said, sounds like an electrical issue. Need to check the ignition coils, ECU connections, control boxes and connections under the right-rear fender area...etc.