430 - Smart eMT F1 Relay "normal operation" | FerrariChat

430 Smart eMT F1 Relay "normal operation"

Discussion in '360/430' started by r1racer703, Apr 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. r1racer703

r1racer703 Rookie

May 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    r1racer703
    Hi Everyone,

I recent purchased the emt unit because my e diff light was on my f430. Before installing the emt I didn't get any crazy errors except for the e diff error. Shifting was fine as well. 2005 F430 with 23k miles. I got a new e diff actuator and bled the system with Launch x431/Smart E diff tester . Took it for a drive and noticed the pump was priming while cruising. The pump would prime every 1-1.5 miles. Is it normal to prime while cruising? Also, when coming to a stop the red, blue, and green light would flash once really quick and go to green only. This would happen maybe 1 out of 5 times coming to a light.

Since the actuator change I changed out the accumulator as well. Same issue.

Is it normal for the pump to prime 4 seconds every 1-1.5 miles?

Thanks everyone!

2. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I haven’t driven mine in a while, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t operating that often. The relay has some diagnostics associated with it, are they giving you any warning? Are you losing fluid?

I’m no expert, but sounds like the system is losing pressure, with all the accumulator/actuator/bleed activity, personally I’d start at the beginning and give the entire system a once over, change the F1 fluid and start the bleed all over again.

3. r1racer703

r1racer703 Rookie

May 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    r1racer703
    New ediff actuator, accumulator, and liqui moly fluid. Bled it 6x and no leaks.

The only warning is a quick one blink red/blue/green when coming to a stop.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The x431 has the capability to do real time graphing of pressures .. try doing that while idling , driving straight and in circles and then look at graphs ... Someone did tfaf on here and it definitely helped track the problem down

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Marcoboxer likes this.
  5. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    My initial experiences with the smart relay in an '06 430 with comparable mileage were similar to yours. No problems with shifting, so I just got used to ignoring the alerts from the smart module. Then a little more than a year ago, I went to upshift from 1st gear after a long cruise and no response from the paddle input for about 5 seconds then back to normal. This would happen very occasionally at first, but of course became progressively worse over time while our indie and I tried various remedies to eliminate the problem (i.e. bleeding system, ediff solenoid replacement, new accumulator). The module also started reporting more second-level alarms where the red flashing light stays on in the module until you clear the alert (or turn off the ignition).

Long story short, 2 of the F1 actuator bleed screws turned out to be loose, which appears to be a fairly common problem with the 430s. Alerts from the smart module dropped significantly after reseating the loose screws. I still very occasionally hear an alert from the smart module, but nothing resulting in a second-level alarm that had to be cleared from the module.