spark plug tool | FerrariChat

spark plug tool

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Apr 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    What else is strange with this breed, I can't get any socket on it to remove the plug .
    Any special socket, like tin wall needed or regular one should fit. any help please.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Regular nothing special socket on every 550 I have ever seen. what is the problem not the right size on the plug or can't get socket down the hole?

3. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    It is strange, I try on a new spark plug out of car and fits perfectly, on the picture as you see it shows additional thing may be that is the one prevent the plug goes further down

4. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Carl, what size socket you use, I have 5/8 which does not fit on installed spark plug down the hole.

5. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian

6. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Strange, what happen to FBB post? did I erase it accidentally , it is possible?

7. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I found the answer to my question, apparently I hit the wrong button to make it disappear, I found it and brought the FFB's massage back.
    Sorry

8. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    18 mm deep socket from home depot , could not find spark plug for 18 mm locally.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The end of the spark plug wire connector has broken off and is still attached to the spark plug. You should be able to pull it off or unscrew small cap on the top of the spark plug (if it is threaded, some are and some are not) using some long needle nose pliers. If worse comes to worse, you can break off the top of the plug with a punch or chisel, suck out the broken porcelain fragments with a vacuum or blow them out with compressed air and then unscrew the lower portion of the plug from the cylinder head.

The biggest part of your problem is that now you need a new spark plug wire connector. Ferrari only sells complete wire sets for each bank for around $1400.
    The wire manufacturer, Beru does not sell the spark plug connector end of the wire. If you can find a broken/partial used set of plug wires or just a single wire, you can unscrew the the plug connector from the wire and screw the new connector onto your original wire. Beru sells the crimp-on screw terminals (crimped on the ignition wire inside the terminal boot) for the wires as does BMW. If you twist off the plug connector from the wire, you can install a new crimp-on terminal onto your original wire. The old broken off crimp on terminal inside a spark plug connector can be unscrewed with a very thin pair of needle nose pliers. I always spray some silicone spray into the wire/spark plug connector junction before attempting to unscrew the spark plug terminal from the wire.

The wires are solid metal core non-resistor wires, and each end (spark-plug and coil) has a resistor built into it. The resistance value of each connector is molded into the boot on the outside. Check the resistance of the connector before installing it, and the total resistance of the wire/both connectors after you are done assembling it. Note that the spark plug connector should feel solid/made of one piece through the rubber boot, as they are often broken in half inside the boot from improper removal.

Regards,
    Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

belfry, dodici, Qavion and 2 others like this.
  10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Brian, that's one of the most informative & helpful posts I've seen in a long time!

dodici and fatbillybob like this.
  11. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Brain, I appreciate your detail explanation what can go wrong and I will keep your advices and solutions in my Ferrari information bank.
    What is going on in my case is Ferrari dealer changed my spark plugs back in 2005, the installed NGK spark plug has 18mm hex ( that spark plug is discontinued and NGK USA does not have in stock) that is why I couldn't able to fit my 5/8 spark plug tool on it. 5/8 spark plug tool is about 16 mm, so I needed next size up, I could not find locally, the home depot 18 mm deep socket did the trick and removed all with no difficulty. Thank god there is no issue of fracture, leads are okay and sparkplugs are okay.

Qavion likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sorry LS, I did not know there was more posts on this thread. Glad you got sorted. Weird problem that's for sure...

13. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Cool, I am glad that you figured it out, and that it was something simple.

When I initially looked at the photo of your spark plug, it looked like the inside portion of the spark plug connector was still attached to the end of the plug. Now that I look at it again, I can see that it is just the screw on end that normally comes on the spark plug. The photo is distorted, and the end looks much larger than it actually is.

Regards,
    Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Now you can put Iridium plugs in her.

15. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Dealer installed Iridium DR8EIX plugs back in 2005, I am going to replace with Iridium DCPR9EIX plugs

Attached Files:

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Makes you wonder because that is definitely not the recommended plug. Guess he had them in stock.