2020 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Now Officially Cancelled | FerrariChat

2020 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Now Officially Cancelled

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Terra, Apr 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (April 22, 2020) — Knowing that entrants, judges, volunteers and guests face ongoing health concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, officials of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance have decided to cancel the show, which was scheduled for August 16, 2020.

“My heart goes out to all of the people who are involved in the Pebble Beach Concours and who are impacted by this decision,” said Concours Chairman Sandra Button. “Many of our entrants have been working on a special car for years, and this was to be their moment. Some of our overseas entrants were nearing the point of putting their cars on boats and planes, and their own travel arrangements have long been made. The same is true for many of our international cadre of judges."

“We thank all of the enthusiasts who have gathered at Pebble Beach time and again to renew long-standing friendships, celebrate great cars and give so generously to Concours charities — and who have already expressed their support for the coming celebration no matter the date.”

The car selection process for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours, which was scheduled for Sunday, August 16, 2020, was recently completed, and entrants were notified of their acceptance earlier this month. The acceptance letters stressed that these cars were invited to appear at the 70th celebration — even if it was delayed. With the cancellation of this year's event, the 70th Pebble Beach Concours will now take place on Sunday, August 15, 2021.

Features will remain as planned, with a display of past Best of Show winners along the edge of Stillwater Cove, and special classes focusing on Pininfarina coachwork, Porsche 917, Talbot-Lago Grand Sport, Miller racing, Iso, Early Electrics and the Carrera Panamericana.

“Pebble Beach Company has been pleased to host this event since its beginning, and we look forward to hosting the 70th celebration in 2021,” said Company CEO William L. Perocchi. “This event does more than celebrate great cars; it benefits so many people in need. Ultimately, the continued health and safety of everyone associated with the Concours is our number one priority, which led us to this difficult decision. We recognize that cancelling the 2020 event will be disappointing to many, although we are confident it is appropriate under these unique circumstances.”

All tickets purchased to date for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance will be valid for the event on Sunday, August 15, 2021. Ticket purchasers who cannot attend the 70th Concours on its new 2021 date can request a refund by emailing [email protected].

For more information on the Concours, go to www.pebblebeachconcours.net.

2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Does not really come as a surprise, does it?
    It was clear that they had to do a decision early on as the ahead-of-schedule work is intensive, especially for those coming with a car from overseas. It is a pity but it was expected, I guess with the closure of some restoration shops some cars wouldn't have been finished anyway and a lot of entrants would have stayed home because of their age and the fear of an infection in between thousands of people. So I think it was the logical consequence to cancel it..

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

TTR, colombo2cam and 375+ like this.
  3. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    LOGIC this is no time for logic ---- I am still in mourning :(:oops:

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    what a shame I truly enjoy the entire car week .. I wonder if all the associated other shows and Monterey auctions and associated events get canceled also..

colombo2cam likes this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #6 TTR, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Quite obviously as the entire “Car Week” (or 10 days) is built around the premise of PBCd’E.
    All those not already cancelled before this announcement will likely do so in short order.

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    i assume race track event will be canceled as well?

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Count on all events for "car week" being cancelled, which I and most others expected. Based on many factors, none of this is a surprise. Legends of the Autobahn had already cancelled about 2 weeks ago. Today Automobilia Monterey cancelled until next year. And with PBC out, no one should expect any of the other "car week" events to happen this year, including the Historic Races.

readplays and TTR like this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As expected Gordon McCall's Motorwerks Party at Monterey Jet Center now cancelled as well.
    And The Quail, a Motorsport Gathering at Quail Lodge, in Carmel Valley, has now been cancelled too.

Marcel Massini

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Goodwood Revival, AACA Fall Hershey and Padua haven’t cancelled as of yet, but assume it’s just a matter of when.

11. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Hershey isn't until October lets hope that we are out of this by then.

donv, 375+ and Lusso123 like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Padua is among the hotspots of the virus in Italy.
    This is not going to happen, I am very sure. Even if it is scheduled for late October.
    The other problem will be all the international travel restrictions. Most countries currently don't let people in from other countries.

Marcel Massini

Lusso123 and 375+ like this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    One of my articles delayed by all this is a studio shoot of a car in...Bergamo, one of the epicenters, who knows when that will be feasible...

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Sometime in 2021(I hope).

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks:) Still hoping I can do it this year even November or December as it will be an indoor shoot (the car has not run in decades) but it will be when it will be...working on other things now, a book and translating another one.

375+ likes this.