Who else has had NO problems with their Spider roof? | FerrariChat

Who else has had NO problems with their Spider roof?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Themaven, Apr 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Understandably, people who have issues with their Spider roof (360 and 430 have the same German-made roof) post here looking for solutions. Having had my 430 Spider for five years, and driving it regularly now in the spring weather, it struck me I have had no problem at all with the roof. Maybe people are put off buying these amazing cars because they can only see problems online.

So, here goes: 5 years, worked perfectly every time. (And I hope I am not jinxing myself!)

Anyone else?

2. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    Hi. Had 6 years of 360 and 430 Spyder and also no problems whatsoever with roof. (Hope I’m not tempting the fates!)

3. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    6 years, no issues.
    However, I do as much maintenance as I am capable of (replaced fluids 2 years ago, lube the 2000+ linkages, replaced straps).
    So far it works with no issues such as the first time for this Spring 3 weeks ago.

Someone started a post a few months ago about whether the roof scares them.
    I don't remember what I said then but deep down I'm itty bitty worried.

My 3-pedal Spider was bought on purpose.
    That's what my wife and I wanted and still love. That feeling with the top down is priceless every time we use it.

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    what sorts of problems do the roofs give? tearing? mechanism? Is it not something that can be readily repaired?

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    none here so far, sept 06 and sept 07 cars.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    maybe the better question is who has NO wind noise with the top up? a boy can dream cant he?

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Age, mileage?

This post would also benefit from the data in the roof control module:

Number of operations
    Number of failures
    Number of pump overheats

Etc.

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I missed that poll! I just cast my vote.

Sure, people have roof problems, and those people could be me when I climb in for my next drive (in around 5 minutes). But nobody would usually take the time to post "Hi all, my Spider top has always been fine". Given that lots of people will use this forum for research ahead of purchase, I thought this thread would give another perspective - otherwise it might look like all Spiders have problems.

What I can't figure out from the poll results is if 20% is the total of "worked perfectly forever". You could vote for up/down/I don't give in to my fear, while also having a roof that has worked perfectly..

And if/when my roof goes wrong, I will be straight on here looking for answers and advice from this fantastic community.

Skidkid likes this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    True and it is true for most everything. Kind of like the news, they don't post "Been nice and quiet day today".

I guess I should add: during the 12 years I had my 360 it worked well. I had the elastic replaced once but otherwise, everything perfect and I used it often.

Themaven likes this.
  11. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    No problems, 2 years 05 360 spider and 3 years 06 430 spider. Both low mileage cars though.

12. enzoformenh

enzoformenh Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    No problems with my 05 360 spider.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would be happy to do that, but how do I get that data?

14. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have had my 03 360 for just over a year. Only a couple times did it not complete the operation, but I simply reversed the operation then back again and it worked. I read the Capote Module on mine last week and it shows:

Number of completed opening/closing cycles 578
    Number of stop-functions ended 48

So, about 8% of the time, it didn't complete the operation.

Now, the stop functions don't necessarily mean there was a problem. Maybe the switch was released early.

Attached Files:

15. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    My car is a 2003 some of the hydraulics were replaced / repaired before I purchased the car.
    This seems to be a weak point with the top and you need to pay attention to make sure the system is not leaking and the reservoir is full.

I have had my car for a few years and the top has not give me any issues with up and down but it did start hitting the cover (bad elastic).
    The dealer who put the elastic in did not do a good job and now the top is getting caught by the cover pin after the top is folded down.
    This is being addressed if a few weeks using a new company.

The only other issue I found was I shimmed the frame on one side to correct the cover to align with the body since I was out of adjustment. When I went to put the top down it would not allow the cover too close. Removed the shim and it worked fine - thinking I have to shim both sides and re-adjust the cover I am open to any ideas.

16. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Lol now that’s funny

17. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    My thoughts on this. I did have a major roof problem but it was due to the heat shields being taken off of the car by someone at some point.. most likely before my ownership. Melted a hose and caused an issue. Elastics will stretch no matter what and cause an issue but it’s an easy fix.

they are pretty solid but with age the seals on hydraulics will ware so I know many that have replaced rams.. generally good solid top and not many problems. I have a few friends with f430s that haven’t had one issue.

Boils down to use and maintenance .

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I am still not sure what preventive maintenance on our roofs should be. A couple of respected mechanics/techs who post on Fchat tell me there is nothing to do, if there’s nothing wrong. Is there anything an untrained owner like me can do? Or ask to be done at an annual?

I just ensure I use the car and roof fairly regularly and cycle open and shut with engine running.

19. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I usually depend on lots of the more experienced Techs here to keep my car going. Without them I would be lost.
    However, I disagree that there is no maintenance to be done. For example,

(1) When was the last time you looked at your fluid, not the level but the quality of the oil?
    Dark blue/grey looking at it in the reservoir means it is dirty and should be replaced. Takes 2 hours.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

(2) There are 2000 linkages that can be cleaned with a penetrating oil to remove the 15+ year old drying lubricant then afterwards resprayed with a lithium based lubricant

(3) Similarly, clean as many of the microswitches as you can possibly see with the top in various stages of opening/closing. They have linkages also and when one fails to move the roof will be stuck.

(4) Someone already mentioned the elastic straps that will get too stretchy and require replacing. I replaced mine 2 years ago (stitched wide elastic onto the orig one). This took me 2 days

(5) How is your canvas top? Are there bumps that looks like it will tear in the future. I followed others on here and beefed up the canvas from below so the linkage pushing on it doesn't wear the orig top out and create a hole.

Yeah, there are a few things to be done to ensure it stays working.
    Just saying!

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Fred. I am not at a very advanced level of confidence or ability in doing these myself on my cars. My daughter once complained that the handle of her push-scooter was stuck, so I fired WD-40 at it, after which it remained too loose and non-functional forever, and I would hate to have the same effect on my Ferrari's roof. Added to which, the things that take you 2 hours would take me 2 days, and still go wrong. But I will ask the workshop to look at all these things, so appreciate it.

21. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I do those things to get to know my car better. Most of what I learnt about this car came from this Forum so I too am grateful for people contributing.
    Happy I was able to give back something.