Part#165903 Secondary Air Pump | FerrariChat

Part#165903 Secondary Air Pump

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulchua, Apr 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    paulchua likes this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    At that price, it would be worth taking one along to an auto electrician. There’s still guys out there rebuilding alternators and starter motors. An air pump can’t be that hard to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Paul, exactly what is wrong with yours?

paulchua likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It 'stopped working" according to Paul on the 348/355 forum. Hopefully he will add some more information...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/part-165903-secondary-air-pump.620726/

Unfortunately, I didn't realise Paul has a 456M GTA, and may have offered the wrong advice on the 348/355 Forum. For the 456M, the pump could be stopped by:

Faulty fuse "8"? (although that also powers the oil radiator fan)
    Air Pump Relay "V"?
    No signal from the RH Motronics ECU?

Having said that, I'm having trouble matching the wiring diagrams to the WSM text:

The ECU activates the secondary air relay when the necessary conditions occur*. The relay is connected to the secondary air pump and parallel to the secondary air solenoid valve.

The pump is activated in the following conditions:

- during the catalytic converter warm up period
    - when the lambda adjustment isn't active because it has been disconnected or damaged and the sensor isn't yet up to operating temperature
    - when the coolant temperature is too low, after starting the engine at cold.

Since the pump and secondary air solenoid "plumbing" are not in parallel, I assume they are talking about the electrics. However, the pump relay seems to be controlled by the RH Motronics ECU and the valve by the LH Motronics ECU.

Ferrari_456_Engine_Service_&_HVAC Wiring Diagram

paulchua likes this.
  6. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    It's a SPAL part. It may be worthwhile contacting SPAL USA, send them a pic of the part and see what they say. Maybe they can cross-reference it to another application.

paulchua and brogenville like this.
  7. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    paulchua likes this.
  8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It can also be "stopped" by an accumulation of plastic dust from the impeller rubbing against the case due to a failure of the thrust bearing or too close tolerances. The dust buildup simply jams the impeller. That part of the pump can be disassembled and cleaned out but the impeller will still rub against the case. The motor section including the thrust bearing is not "takeapartable" ;)

paulchua and Qavion like this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    A gentleman on the 348/355 forum said he replaced one of the bearings with a radio controlled car (wheel?) bearing, so I guess it involved some more serious disassembly techniques. Perhaps removing rivets, etc. At that point, it becomes an effort vs cost issue.

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello friends, sorry for the late reply. It just stopped working - seized me thinks. As you all know, it's just for smog/emissions - so the car works fine otherwise, but I figure when I get a chance, I'll pop it out and fix/replace it. I will definitely make sure to report to the community what I do for resolution.

Much thanks all.

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Paul, Did you get a DTC code, if so what was it?

I'll take a look at it if you want when you have it out. It's a chore to get out on a 550, I don't know about a 456

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello Dave, thanks for your question. I don't know what a DTC code is. I just noticed it never turns on. I read it's common for this part to just stop working on other models as well.

My plan is when I get off my lazy butt, I'll pop it out and do some 'having fun with electrical fans" session.

For sure I will report back here to the community.

I figure it will involve finding a similar electric motor and swapping it in.

Cheers

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
    I will bet the impeller is jammed in its chamber due to debris from impeller rubbing on case.

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ahh!

Does this show in the OBDII? If so, I don't recall seeing that. But I will be on the lookout.

Much thanks for your time.