Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | Page 63 | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marko.urbac

marko.urbac Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    A new-old picture has surfaced on social media; a picture which dates back to 2014. More specifically it shows two LaFerrari's (both coupe). The black one belongs to HRH Prince Jefri Bolkiah and the red one belongs to his eldest son, Prince Abdul Hakeem Jefri Bolkiah (Instagram: @hakeemjefri). The red one crashed in Jerudong on April 7th, 2020. Photos of both cars can be found within this thread. The picture was taken at the Empire Hotel and Country Club, in Jerudong. More specifically it was taken in front of a Villa, within the Lagoon complex, where apparently the Royals spend most of their time. Link to the location: https://goo.gl/maps/JnLALzaeVyMKo7wh7

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mercedes-c140-fan and NürScud like this.
  2. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
  3. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Sorry, I forgot to post the pictures of the Dauer's. In the post above, next to the McLaren F1 GTR (09R) - Ueno Clinic livery replica, you can see what is supposed to be the silver DAUER 962 LM.

Here are all the pics missing:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MaxiMarks

MaxiMarks Rookie

Jul 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Maxi Marks
    Many thanks for the update and for keeping this fascinating thread alive! I can see "1954" on the Rosso Laferrari's front plate which is Prince Jefri's year of birth so I'm assuming that's his along with the Nero one? It would be great if Prince Hakeem could visit this thread and let us know what the current situation is over there regarding the entire collection!

marko.urbac likes this.
  5. track

track Rookie

Apr 28, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I saw the black one in one of the villa. Never see the two together.
    [​IMG]

6. SVLT

SVLT Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julian Sutton
    I spent 8 hours reading this thread last night. Incredible.

7. peppe siciliano

peppe siciliano Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Peppe
  8. SVLT

SVLT Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julian Sutton
    It was Prince Hakeem, Price Jefri's oldest son. @hakeemjefri on IG.

marko.urbac likes this.
  9. SVLT

SVLT Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julian Sutton
    marko.urbac likes this.
  10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I did that shortly after I joined. :)

Jasonberkeley, marko.urbac and SVLT like this.
  11. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    readplays likes this.
  12. dinoSP

dinoSP Rookie

Jul 19, 2011
    I've got 2 questions about what we can call ghost cars : does anybody has ever seen the F50 Bolide and the Mclaren PGTB? In my point of view they are the both unicorns of the Sultan's stable...

13. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    As far as I know the F50 Bolide has never been seen by anybody outside the Royal Family and the staff at Pininfarina. It remained just a clay-model design study, but it was never realized. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding the McLaren PGTB, I think it never made any steps further the design sketches... but I can be wrong. Again, correct me if I am mistaken.

Taking the opportunity to post a few pics of the F50 Bolide, including some photos of the BBR 1:43 scale model:

14. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    As far as I know, this is the only sketch of the McLaren PGTB in existence. It emerged on the magazine EVO published on Mar 5, 2011 for celebrating 20 years of the McLaren F1. You can see the whole magazine here: https://issuu.com/evomagazine/docs/mclaren - please go to page 9 for the McLaren PGTB and some other concepts.

dinoSP likes this.
  15. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I have a few questions

1) Did the State of Brunei, or the Sultan press office, or the Sultan himself or members of his family, ever answer questions or make any statement about that collection ?

2) This article from a few years ago says the collection is literally rotting. It made me cry, but according to a lot of pictures I see here, it doesn't seem to be the case. What's the truth ?
    https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/03/the-sultan-of-bruneis-rotting-supercar-collection/

3) From time to time , we see a "Ex-brunei" car popping up for sale. Do we have a record of all the cars that escaped their Brunei Jail ?

4) I heard abour some auctions where many of the cars were to be sold. Did those auctions ever take place ?

5) Many of those cars were brought by Jefri with money he embezzled. That is the main reason why there is so much secrecy around this collection. Is it true ? Is it the main reason ?

Thanks a lot

Carspotmunich.de and dinoSP like this.
  16. SVLT

SVLT Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julian Sutton
    To answer your questions,

1. I don't have answer for you on this, but from what I know, a lot of the money was essentially made through embellzement. The Sultan's brother, Prince Jefri, was in control from Brunei's oil and gas revenues. He would pocket 50% of those revenues. He no longer holds that position. The family is still extremely wealthy, and they still have multiple new hypercars, including 3 LaFerraris. They're not coach building cars like they did before. I'm not sure of their relationships with manufactures.

2. It is true. A lot of the pictures you see are over a decade old, and some even two decades old. While I'm sure there are salvageable cars. Brunei is a wet & humid country. You just have to hope they kept the air conditioning where the McLaren F1s are. If the Sultan was smart, he would have kept those to himself. He does have a collection of his self. Those are kept at the palace and I believe that's strictly off limits. I believe all the F90s were for the Sultan himself. Also, I think they are starting to restore a few cars, but it's at a snails pace. Maybe 2 cars per year. You're not going to save them all.

3. I'm not sure if there's a record. It's basically catch them while you can. A few of his RHD F50s have escaped along with a few of his F40s. A lot of cars are still there, including I believe 7 McLaren F1s. There are a lot of unqiue cars that will never be sold. For example, I doubt the EB110 with the Brunei colors will ever leave Brunei.

4. There are auctions in Brunei. Normally it's for the non marquee cars. Your older more common super cars, Mercedes, etc. I don't know how things work in France, but in the US they often have wholesale auctions. It's something like that. An outdoor auction under a few huts.

5. That is thought to be true.

marko.urbac likes this.
  17. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #1569 dcmetro, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Thanks a lot Julian

Answer 2 makes me so sad. Those belong to mankind's automotive heritage IMO

Concerning question 4 I wanted to know if a portion of the sultan's collection has ever been auctioned, as I remeber having read somwhere

18. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    1. Probably not because nobody is asking them anything. Bruneians seem not to really care...

2. The most valued cars (including F1 cars) are probably still in good condition and I hope they are in driving condition. Lesser cars are probably forgotten. I remember pics of a Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary with signs of rust and the interior leather detaching from the cockpit panels due to high temperatures and humidity. Not sure if those pics have been posted here yet, probably yes.

3. No records yet. From time to time there are some cars popping out. For example a few McLaren's F1, a black 288 GTO, the 'infamous' matte grey F40 etc. Most of the pricey cars are still there and will probably never leave. I just hope many more pics will emerge in the future, especially from the glass garage and the F1 Museum.

4. You have to search this thread. There have been a handful of auctions which took place in the the past 20 years at the Rimba / Bandtoo Depot in Jerudong. Most of the cars sold were Mercedes-Benz S classes, SL R129. SLK AMG etc, BMW 7 series, 8 series, Jaguar XK8, Porsche 993, 928, Boxster etc, some Ferrari Testarossa and 512TR, Honda NSX + some motorbikes. Search for "Bandtoo" or "auction" within this thread. Most of the cars were sold to locals, to common people of Brunei.

5. Might be but I don't think the give a f**k about that since they are in power and nobody can really do anything to them.

19. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Here are some never-posted-before pics of the RHD Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary I found online. In the first two pics, you can see the car parked in front of the Empire Hotel and Country Club, in Jerudong. I suppose it was parked there for its collection by the new owner. Please note the hanging mirror. The car later appeared in New York, with its original number plates on, and ready for being sold.

The description quotes:

Extremely Rare RHD 1989 Lamborghini Countach: Only 3,247 km

This 1989 Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary is an extremely rare right-hand-drive example and a very low mile car with only 3,247 km. Red with tan leather, it's been sitting for a while and needs recommissioning but is a great buy. It's in need of minor cosmetics and servicing but the motor is cranking. It's not everyday that you find a RHD Countach so this is a very special discovery. Don't miss the unique opportunity to own this car for the bargain price of only

20. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
  21. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Jaguar36 likes this.