Ferrari 355 GTB Manual Gearbox - 3rd Gear Issue | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355 GTB Manual Gearbox - 3rd Gear Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LOZ355GTB, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LOZ355GTB

LOZ355GTB Rookie

Mar 14, 2015
    Hi guys - first post here. Been watching for many years! Great site and loads of good info.

I’ve a minor issue with my 355 manual gearbox. Once nice and hot and when hard driving 2nd to 3rd can grind sometimes. It doesn’t do it all the time but there is a resistance more often than not. Often a slower change is better but that’s not what I like doing!

Either way I thought it was pointing towards a synchro issue but with that said I’d expect it to do it all the time and sometimes for a few hard changes it’s great with no issue. Normal / slightly fast driving is fine. This is only an issue when flat out. It’s relatively recent to and started all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago.

So I’m thinking an adjustment may help. Gearbox oil is as are the clutch and slave.

Any opinions and thoughts are welcome!

Thanks guys.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Only five years lurking!

You might want to look in the 355 section if others have previously mentioned

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    first thing i wld do is use redline MTL. that shld cure it. if it doesn't then you will need to dig deeper.

4. LOZ355GTB

LOZ355GTB Rookie

Mar 14, 2015
    Ok thanks I shall try that. I have had a quick look and can only find MTL in 75w80 so use this grade rather than the factory 75w90?

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ignore the manual. People like me have been using mtl for 20 yrs, literally.

LOZ355GTB likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    As for the adjustment, with the car of if you can shift into first and into 6th gear, then the adjustment is right on.
    Change to MTL, and if that does not do it, you are in for a synchro, a clutch, and / or other stuff.
    BTW, it is never just a synchro.