EXOTO | Page 3 | FerrariChat

EXOTO

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lucky_13_2002, Dec 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    #51 ferrari4evr1, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 500F2

500F2 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    I have just purchased a CMC 500F2 (haven't received it yet). I have read the post by noelsairplanes about how he painted the CMC wheels flat aluminum. I would appreciate it if he, or someone who has done it, would describe the process for me.
    I have also seen comments about the CMC "stance." From pictures, it does seem that the nose is high compared with the period pictures I've seen. Anybody experimented with a fix ? If the front suspension is accessible, it might be possible to cut part of a coil to lower the nose. Before I tried it, I would try to find a duplicate spring and try the surgery on it. Suggestions ?
    Incidentally, I'm planning to get an Exoto and a Revival 500 for my collection.
    Buzz (500F2)

3. 500F2

500F2 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    After the last post I hit my head several times with my copper knock-off hammer. Of course the 500F2's had transverse leaf springs. I am sure the white metal (in the leaves) is too brittle to attempt bending. I wonder if the same effect could be accomplished by raising the rear ? Perhaps a little spacer under the leaves (?).
    When I get mine I'll do a little (careful) exam and maybe take some pictures.
    Buzz (500F2)

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Wasn’t going to bump this thread since it’s so old but I stumbled across it and couldn’t resist. Some hot takes in here by Big Tex. Those “non collectible routinely found at flea market” Exoto Ferraris are routinely pulling $400-600 a pop on Ebay.

To this day no one has made anything near as detailed and they probably won’t either.

Funny to look back on some perspectives. People probably thought the same about real Ferraris back in the day. “Where are you gonna get that old Italian thing worked on? I’ll give you $5k and a bag of chips”

Lol

5. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Is Exoto still in business? I have most of their models and would great to see more new models from them. I know they had issues with Ferrari licensing, meaning they never had one with Ferrari is my understanding from years ago. Anyone would like to comment on this?

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Long gone, great catalogs in the day, I had stacks of them....

Ferrari has pulled back it's licensing of course, no Mattels Hot Wheels having reverted back to old time Bburagao.
    Who does a nice enough job mostly in 1:24.

I find them in CVS Drug stores from time to time.
    No idea on other distribution.

I do scan a Hot Wheels rack but not often, as Lambo and Ducati are still offered.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well I mainly see it from the "Sell side" these days and estate planning.

Whoever takes the REAL Ferrari gets four bookcases of library, five bookcases of models, and the whole LP collection!!
    I would agree NOW that any Exoto found NIB would be worth bartering for.

I recently paid $400 for a 1:18 488 Pista, because most of my collection is 1:18.
    I am out of space though, so maybe I'll sell some of the older model 308, 348, 512 era to make room!!

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Go see my huge Williams F1 LEGO in Collectibles and tell me what it's worth.

I do see them at $500 and $999.00 on eBay, in that case I will absolutely cut you a DEAL!
    Never did see a Ferrari version and I was looking hard when they were new.

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    They seem to still be in business. Website is exoto.com and Facebook at www.facebook.com/exotoinc/ which was updated in the last few days.

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Still peddling their (his) wares, still with ridiculous prices on supposedly long sold-out editions. Google search is your friend as far as their reputation goes.

11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I think their reputation is fairly well known. However, I have several Exoto models (all bought at sensible prices) and they're among my favourites. There's just a bit more imagination gone into them. For example, the Villeneuve 312 T4 with the umbrella or the Mansell 641 with him pealing off his visor.

A while ago I was at a show where a vendor had both CMC Ferrari 500 and Exoto and I spent some time comparing the two. It was very interesting to see the differences and how the detail was better in some areas on one and other areas on the other. I bought the CMC because the dealer gave me a good price and I couldn't bring myself to pay the extra for the Exoto (although it wasn't $800 or whatever). But I liked the Exoto much more. Just some of the little details like the texture of the exhausts were what made the difference for me.

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I might be interested in some of your 1:18 depending on what you have. Let me know!

I just picked up an Exoto Gilles 312 T4. Had to pay through the nose to get it but it showed up yesterday and is fantastic! Very pleased