Welp, it's stripped! | FerrariChat

Welp, it's stripped!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Changing the oil today, the plug in the oil tank was difficult to get out. Once I got it out, my heart sank. Some idiot at the Ferrari dealer torqued the bolt in too much the last time the oil was changed as part of my belt service a few years ago and the threads are now stripped!

Anyone had any luck retapping the threads on the oil tank? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ur knowledge never stops to amaze me! A walking TR Wikipedia;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    Is it worthwhile to consider using a pump to draw the oil out of the tank and then just drain the pan as per normal? To avoid working that notoriously finicky oil tank bolt?

5. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I had Cutaway Creations in Fairfax VA tap mine on their Haas machine. Precision, they’d do it for you for a reasonable price too, as they wrote the file. Then the threaded insert is a permanent and perfect fit. Message me if you want contact info. I just did this job, not bad in a garage on jack stands.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Is that similar to helicoil

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
  8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    How difficult was it to remove the oil tank?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe you can remove the bottom of the oil tank to repair it. Look at #8 above.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Simple job for competent machinist.

c4b4the04 and turbo-joe like this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think they put in the plug when this still has been cooled down and the reservoir still has been warm

I prefer time sert

why not just weld it and make new original thread?

12. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    As mentioned I just removed the hose and the four 10mm nuts/washers. Tank stays in place. If I recall, I disconnected the parking brake to make more room. There's an O-ring between this outlet and the tank. Others advised me to simply reuse the screen.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Or just don't fix it and use pipe sealant on the plug to keep it from leaking or backing out (kidding).

14. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    +1 (0000000)

APA#1 likes this.
  15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #15 Steve Magnusson, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    We'll have to disagree this time ;) For securing a head stud into an aluminum engine case (or some other high load application) = no argument that the timesert is superior for strength. What I don't like about using a timesert for a drain plug is that the counterbore needed is so much larger than the ID of the sealing washer. JMO (although if the damage was such that a helicoil can't be made to work, but a timesert could = I'd use the timesert ;)). Using a helicoil for the repair has a little bit of this same disease which is why I decided to retap it to M18 and use a 18 mm ID sealing washer and M18 plug.

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I'm with you on this Steve! Me retired machinist.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also agree with you steve. but when you use such sealing washers
    then you are also on the safe side

Attached Files:

18. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey Romano quick question on that - the sealing washers - i'm new to using them and I noticed that only an m18 washer would fit flush on my m16 original bolt, not an M16 washer. Does the rubber sit flush against the head of the bolt, or is it supposed to end up on the threads too?

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry joe, don´t understand the question right : sit flush? :(

you are sure you have a 16 mm bolt and not a 18 mm? normaly on a 16 mm bolt a 16 mm washer will fit. may be you got wrong sized washers? or have a kit wrong labeled?

the rubber is thicker than the seal itself. so the rubber seals at the head of the bolt and also on the opposite side at the housing. the metal also seals and limit the press to the rubber.

some japanese draining bolts meanwhile have a coating, so simply metal with a very thin coating all over and without the rubber

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I don't remember on the TR. Some sealing washers are solid copper. Solid copper can be re annealed . Heat cheery red,quench in water,then it will be soft again.

21. moskojo

moskojo Rookie

Mar 21, 2009
    Roslyn Heights, NY
    Full Name:
    Joel Moskowitz M.D.
    The real problem is that the bolt only has 3 threads on it. If you seat the washer correctly, after a couple of oil changes, the amount of torque on the 3 aluminum threads of the tank are too much and it strips. If you examine the hole, you will find that the band is threaded with about 8 threads. Solution is to discard the original bolt and go to a local auto parts store and get a longer bolt. This will distribute the force over more threads.

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just closing the loop on this one, I drilled out and retapped the hole to 18 mm x 1.5 mm, and screwed in a o2 sensor bung plug I found online, and all is good.

Oh also, I have like 5 OEM oil tank plug bolts (16 mm) for sale... Cheap!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Rookie question: Planning on doing an oil change today, have to say I am nervous about it. Since there is not a torque specification listed to go by, what's your method of tightening the oil plug? I am planning on following this thread ( http://truedriverscar.com/docs/testarossa_oilChange ) tighten it by hand first and an additional 1/4 turn after it's initial contact OR no more than 20 lb*ft (As Mr. Magnusson had mentioned that 25 lb*ft maybe too much), which ever is reached first. And yes, I will also make sure that the engine is fully cooled down as Turbo-Joe had advised earlier in another thread ( https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/stahlbus-oil-drain-valve.621725/ ).

I have done many oil changes before on other vehicles but this will be the first on the Testarossa and it has seriously gotten me spooked. So any addition wisdom and sharing of your preferred method will be greatly appreciated.

turbo-joe likes this.
  24. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I tightened both to 20 ft lbs and no leaks. If you do strip the one in the tank and need to tap it to a larger size, I can send you a link to the plugs I went with. They have more threads so they can easily take 20-30 ft lbs

25. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And actually if you'd like one of my extra 16 mm bolts for free (OEM!) Send me your address, don't pay ricambi prices.