Conversation to manual transmisión | FerrariChat

Conversation to manual transmisión

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by RicSinger, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hello everyone.
    Has anyone done a conversion to manual transmission?

If so, please give me your 2 cents.

I am thinking of doing this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Numerous discussion on the subject. Long story short: "rigid torque tube setup".

if you plan on re-using parts (pedal box, torque tube, rear axle, flywheel, clutch, ...) from a manual 400 that's an expensive but easy task. Don't even think about a TH400 to Tremec swap (easy on a vintage US car, huge challenge due to the all-in-one torque tube design).

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    And remember you need to change the diff too; the Auto has a 'taller" diff ratio because TH400 3rd gear is 1:1 and the manual's 5th gear is overdrive. Friend of mine has a 5-speed and he does LONG trips with it. He switched the diff to the Auto's diff to lower his RPM on long trips. He hated it and swapped back. I now have that Auto diff as a spare. :)
    Ken

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The rear axle is the reason why manual are more noisy than autos. Driving a 365 or 400 manual reminds me of a vintage Jeep Willys with the typical sound of a fast spinning torque tube against a low diff ratio.

Back to the subject, one of FerrariChat members reported a successful transmission swap based on stock parts from a 400 manual. He had parts for an extra swap and was willing to sell them. Another member initiated a Richmond/Tremec conversion but never reported back on the result (failure?). One car was advertised with a 700R4 on ebay 8 years ago.

All in all that's only two sucessfull swaps that I am aware of.

On a financial point of view buying a manual car would make more sense as this swap will not be cheap (for sure) and will (probably) decrease the value of your car. Even if you retrofit the car with genuine ferrari parts, the 7th digit of your car serial number will still remind any potential buyer that this car left the factory with an automatic transmission.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    It will decrease the value, I absolutely agree. Maybe even a double hit because the base value of the car will go down and the cost of the conversion will be lost.

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Do you just want a manual? Or do you want the performance of a manual?

I don't have a 400, but if I did, I'd be exploring higher stall torque converters.

sjd
    ...just curious.