550 Waterpump Rebuild | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 Waterpump Rebuild

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Feb 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #26 fatbillybob, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is an addendum to seal placement because others asked about it. You can do what I showed to place seal if you understand the depth you need to place the seal and shaft position. The easiest way is to buy the Ricambi tool to set the seal. Below is a third way making your own tool to set the seal.

1st step is to understand the goal is to get a seal that can freely rotate where the seal base is in the waterpump and inner seal friction fit onto the bearing shaft. Free rotation occurs when the inner core is equal with the seal base as shown when I push down on the base. Then you see a seal in natural state.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #27 fatbillybob, Jun 24, 2015
    Then you get a cheapo harbor freight socket and in my case cut a delrin spacer (takes 5 mins) to push the seal to the perfect position. I keep lots of cheap harbor freight tools around so I can make stuff out of them quickly. You can use steel washers too if you get the size right. The depth of the lip of the socket to the face of the spacer needs to be 12.5mm...voila. If what I posted makes no sense just buy the Ricambi tool and wait for the UPS guy.

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #28 fatbillybob, Jun 24, 2015
  4. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    FBB good addendum to the thread. I just went thru the same thing 3 weeks ago when I rebuilt the pump on my 575. I made a similar tool that you show above except I turned the entire thing on the lathe. I also made a sleeve that fits on the opposite side for support and removal. This way when the seal is pressed in the sleeve holds the bearing in place without putting too much pressure on the snap ring. Worked really well.

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Post up some pictures to give others ideas.

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #31 fatbillybob, Jun 25, 2015
    Qavion likes this.
  7. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    FFB the 12.45 on the V gauge is that the inside depth my tool should be to give me the correct pressure. TIA

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    No

9. 575 Maranello

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    #34 575 Maranello, Jun 26, 2015
    These are the tools I made to rebuild the water pump on my 575. I wish I would have taken the pict with the pump they would make much more sense. (1) left is the tool to push out the bearing. (2) the tool to press the seal in. (3) the support for the bearing while the seal is being pressed in. (4) just an extension.

BTW I put the bearing in the freezer and the case in the oven at 275 for 1/2 hour, the bearing slipped back in with no pressure at all. Taking the bearing our required quite a bit of pressure from the press.

10. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #35 rizzo308, Jun 26, 2015
    575 would you be so kind as to tell me what depth your seal putterinner is where I have mark in red my seal tool is at a depth of 12.1 mm and is what I used to fit my seal but it felt like there was to much resistance. I also found the bearing wee bit on the tight side on removal.TIA

11. 575 Maranello

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    I measured the tool and it is 12.17mm. I did notice however that the seal that I received from Ricambi is not exactly the same as the original seal. The original seal required somewhat less than 12mm. What I did to arrive at 12.17mm was to measure the seal spring travel fully compressed and then not compressed. 12mm happened to be approximately in the middle. I have a feeling that the depth of the tool is not a one size fits all situation based on your comments and prior posts I have read.

12. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding the seal. Mostly order of operation. If I understand correctly, I will be compressing (squishing) the seal to a height of about 12+mm (numbers above differ). This is accomplished with the special tool as discussed. When is this done in the assembly process? Before the seal is installed? During the seal installation into the water pump body?

Is the bearing pressed in before the seal is placed in the body, or is the seal installed first?

I have also seen a PVC reducer advertised with some seal kits. Here is AW Italian. It appears to be a reducer 1-1/2" to 3/4" I found a similar one at Home Depot. Has anyone tried that as a tool?

Thanks, Ken

bay likes this.
  13. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    For a $700 new pump is all this effort worth it ?

14. yves8174

yves8174 Rookie

Nov 11, 2011
    Replying to the old post - just because I've done the rebuild on my own:

- the seal must be in the "squeezed" position when you are inserting the bearing shaft. It must basically be in the "natural" position as fatbillybob said (see very first post of this page)

- so basically during the insertion of the shaft (and bearing) when, it reaches the seal, support the seal, so that it is "sqeezed" when the shaft will go through it

- obviously the seal must be installed first (I've used a 34 socket). Best is to press it in with a press, not a hammer or so. Recent seals are much more fragile then what I've seen in the first post of this topic. Then you can proceed with pushing in the new bearing + shaft

Hope this info can be of help to other people

15. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    The pvc fitting makes it easy. Just fit it and press. Aw Italian provides it with the seal. FBB makes it way too complicated and includes unnecessary information that just confuses a simple process.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    OR Stu...you could just read

There was a time...maybe 2015 that Ricambi was the only game in town. In time others have found the problem ad provided solutions. Ricambi only provided technician level pro tools and supplies. AW Italian PVC fitting certainly works especially for the once every 5 or 10 years DIY guy but you do realize real pros are doing this everyday and using real pro tools right?

17. Mariano Rizzi

Mariano Rizzi Rookie

Oct 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mariano Rizzi
    Hello any advice on bearing source for my 348 water pump?

Kind tegards

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You can buy the bearing from Ricambi. Or the other outfit in Phoenix AZ. I do have to confess that the last 2 or 3 water pumps I have attempted to rebuild using the new seals did not turn out well. Yes, I have the professional tools but after the seals were pressed in, the pump makes a grinding noise when turning by hand. I ended up just buying the new $800 pump. The less expensive after market pump(s) are no longer available due to spotty quality of the builds.

Your Mileage May Vary.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Last I tried no one was selling bearings for the 348 pumps. I did a search and found a Chinese company had one the right size but it was a really terrible design bearing.

Buy new.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats a common problem when trying to install a seal with the wrong OD. There are several and suppliers often sell the wrong one.
    I have seen it happen too when improperly installed.

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I got the bearing info from Dick Jordan before he retired. He also gave the the okay on sharing it because he was leaving the pump rebuilding business. I’ll have to dig around to find it.

But in all honesty the water pump that Ferraripilot has made is an excellent pump. The scroll impeller in his pump is vastly superior design to the stock impeller. The pump is also anodized to help prevent corrosion. Just be careful of the supplier you buy it from because there have been some Chinese knockoffs floating around. They look like Ferraripilot’s pumps, but are poor quality, especially the bearings.

Qavion and Rifledriver like this.
  22. Mariano Rizzi

Mariano Rizzi Rookie

Oct 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mariano Rizzi
    You know where can I source a Ferraripilot pump?

Kind regards

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They don't sell those anymore due to quality control issues.

24. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I talked with Ferraripilot and he stopped manufacturing them because people kept buying the knock offs.

25. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Dug through my notes from Dick Jordan.
    ASE Industries Inc. in Los Angeles California is the supplier he used. Here is their website. https://aseindustries.com
    I'm still looking for the part number for the specific bearing he used. I may even have a few laying around somewhere. However they do need to be machined in order to fit the impeller to the shaft. I'll post up the info once I find it.

Mirek likes this.