What to look out for 308 vs 328 | FerrariChat

What to look out for 308 vs 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by AustinJames, Apr 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AustinJames

AustinJames Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Austin James
    Looking at getting a 308 or 328. Was set on 308 GTS, found one I really liked but wanted to ask you guys with experience what to look out for when purchasing knowing what you know now.

Also an opinion on which you like better between the 2.

Thanks!

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I believe you'll find that we all bought the one we preferred.

mike996 likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Austin, look at the thread above, third from the top or buy the back issue of the FORZA magazine. I know a nice 85 308 QV for sale near me 42k miles, one owner and very well maintained. PM me if interested.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

If I knew new then what I know now I would have bought a GT4 for a ton of money less and been way happier today.
    I have done very very well with "less desirable" Ferrari cars.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As mentioned, you really have to decide what YOU prefer. Some of the items that inclined me to the 328 (and specifically to the '89) are some of the same items that other folks expressly dislike and lead them to one of the 308s!

As far as 308s, be aware that there was an improvement in body panel "rust resistance" at some point - I don't know when that was - others here can tell you the specific year that occurred. So when you are looking, you might want to be aware of the models that are less resistant so you can take maybe a closer look for any rust issues before you buy.

The one thing I would suggest from years of experience doing it "wrong," is to buy the car/model YOU WANT!!! Do not buy a car that isn't what you want because you found a car that is less expensive. Doing so will eventually result in years of, "I wish I had gone ahead and bought the one I wanted" recriminations. IOW, if you want a blue carbureted 308, search around and find/buy one, not a blue QV or a red carbed 308. It might take a while. Once I decided to buy a red '89 328 GTS, it took over a year of searching before I found the one I purchased.

6. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here is a good buyers guide for the 308.
    http://www.birdman308.com/tutorial/308_buyers_guide.htm

With the 328 you will get a slight change in styling, a little more hp and reliability, and things are just newer. I went with the 89 328 because I wanted the most evolved model. I do regret passing on a fiberglass 308 that was $48k just 8 years ago. Oops. Buy what you like and get it checked out. These cars are very reliable and not expensive to work on and maintain if you know what to do and where to get it done.

AustinJames likes this.
  7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Before you buy, make sure that get a chance to drive one if you haven’t already. Most 3X8 owners enjoy the visceral aspects of the car including the sounds and smells, leather and fuel, how the car feels on the road. No powering steering, no power brakes, heavy clutch, actually changing gears. It’s totally unlike new cars today. It’s a driving experience from a different point in time that many of us enjoy, others don’t. I have a friend who was interested in buying a Ferrari. However, after he drove my Boxer, he was looking for more of the modern aspects of today’s cars and decided on a 458. Just make sure that this type of Ferrari is what you are looking for before you decide.

LuigiVampa likes this.
  8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "No powering steering, no power brakes, heavy clutch, actually changing gears."

Well...a minor correction - all 3x8's have power brakes. But yeah, absolutely a totally different driving experience than a modern car. After driving my 328 twice across the US and using it as a daily driver to everywhere from MacDonalds to Safeway, to Home Depot, I'd have been most happy to have cruise control and power steering! ;) FWIW...Try figuring out how to carry four 8-ft 2x4's in a 3x8 when you are out in the HD parking lot with several amused spectators! Good thing that one of my "must haves" when buying my car was a GTS!

9. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No power steering is one of the best attributes of my 328. The best steering feel out of any car I have driven. No power assist numbness and pure road feel. It’s a little hard in a parking lot but that is the price to pay.

greg328 and bertrand328 like this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Happy to give you some detailed advice on a call of that interests you just shoot me a private message.

AustinJames likes this.
  11. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    You need to figure out what you want as others have said. That means seeing both in person and driving both if possible. I also preferred the Black/Tan combo so really held out for a good representative with those colors. If you want something other than red, you might have to look a little hard and wait a little longer. I was told to just buy the best car I could find but I think I would have regretted not having the 328 GTS in Blk/Crema that I ended up with. I wasn't sure about 308 vs 328 either but if I went 308 I wanted a Euro spec QV car because I think they look much better than the US version. That limited my options greatly as well.

Good luck with the search. It is an amazing car to own. Puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  12. AustinJames

AustinJames Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Austin James
    Thanks for all the input. Exactly the info I was looking for from guys that have gone through the process. I am starting to have my mind set on the 328, mainly because I don't like the big black bumper on the front and back of the 308.

I notice some are smaller than others,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Was one year smaller or do buyers modify the size or possibly remove to look more like the 328?

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Whatever you decide to set your attention on, the one thing I suggest above all is to focus on pure, unmodified cars. Particularly as Ferrari's age, it's the cars that remain as the factory intended that will grow in regard and value. While certainly, there are modern applications that are more reliable and efficient, it's the cars that are either preserved (or restored) to original specification that deliver the purest experience. I refer both to cosmetic, as well as mechanical modifications.

14. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If you're between a later 308 (QV) or 328 and don't have a strong preference, I'd take the 328 because it's a bit more powerful, and they worked out a lot of the little technical gremlins from the 308. However, the carbureted 308s are an entirely different monster. The carbs add a visceral additional soundtrack on top of the engine whine and exhaust, and it's a WORLD of difference. I drove carb and injected 308s before going for a 79 carb car because the sound was GLORIOUS! Not much perceptible performance difference, but night and day on sound. US 308s have clunky rubber bumpers, but personally I prefer them to the integrated body bumpers of the 328 because I think it the 308's perfect lines look swollen when you have the integrated bumpers (also the 328 has an even more ridiculous exhaust "diaper" than the 308). However, some people much prefer the smoother lines of the integrated bumpers on the 328. Interior-wise, the 328 looks like 80s plastic-y dash components, whereas the 308s have vintage toggle switch levers (which - in my opinion - look much cooler, but also often don't work so hot on older 308s). So you either want the last generation of true vintage "feeling" cars with a 308 that has toggle switch and analog lever controls - and carb cars are a vintage symphony - or you want a modern feel with the option of having ABS on a later 328. DO you prefer the modern (somewhat greater) reliability and refinement of an 80s car, or the sounds and feel of a 70s car?

15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The euro-spec 308s had much smaller bumpers than the US-spec cars. On the plus side they are more attractive and weigh a lot less. On the negative side, they offer little impact protection.

The bumpers on a US spec car can be pushed in to a large degree. The rear is easy: there are large spacers that can be removed. The fronts require new bumper mounting brackets or having the bumper shock absorbers compressed. Search this website for further details.

The bumpers on my US-spec 308 are pushed in. Here are a couple of photos.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AustinJames likes this.
  16. mmyhorses

mmyhorses Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Coral Gables, FL - USA
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    This is a great response from wildcat326. The only thing I would add is that if you decide for the more refined, less problematic, 80’s car, consider going 88.5 or 89 as they add ABS and some other changes that make it a more modern car with the best looks of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    If you prefer the 308 design over the 328, than this is sound advice.

18. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Agreed. Some people love the look of vintage cars but forget they don't drive like modern cars.

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For one thing it's not like you can go down to a dealer and spec out your preconceived preferences or pick from a lot full of available cars. If you remain flexible you'll have more of a selection. What model or year or even what color is only part of it, the important thing for a 30 - 44 year old car is condition. Based on my own experience and the opinions of all of the owners I have interacted with you will end up developing a fierce loyalty to whatever year/model you end up with and that will include all of the minor differences and nuances that each has such as what color the A-pillars and rockers are to how many vents it has. I'd say that if you want a 308 or 328 you can't go wrong with anything from '76 to '89 so long as you don't pick one that's been trashed.

Sky Patterson likes this.
  20. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    And on the other end of that, I preferred the concave wheels on the earlier models than the convex wheels on the 88.5 - 89's. The brakes on my 88 are amazing without ABS and they look better, IMO.