Opinions on the California as a First Ferrari | FerrariChat

Opinions on the California as a First Ferrari

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MaybeSomeday31, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaybeSomeday31

Feb 1, 2020
    I am looking to get into the world of exotics and am curious about the Ferrari society's opinion of the California. For me, of course, the price of the California model is most appealing from an introductory perspective. Not that I cannot afford more, but it's more of a comfort level of spending so much on the first one if that makes sense? But also don't want to choose a model if it is generally viewed a certain way by those who know the brand well. Thanks!

Edit: Some other cars I am toying with in my head are a late model Gallardo, 2019/2020 Aston Martin Vantage or 2018 v8 Aston Martin DB11. I know this is Ferrari forum so I am aware what people would likely recommend haha, but just as an FYI

paulchua likes this.
  2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    paulchua likes this.
  3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The only opinion that matters is yours....you will get varying opinions from others and I will keep mine to myself....

Mmckee likes this.
  4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think it is a great choice. Superb value currently. Excellent driving characteristics. Fantastic interior. Convertible. Can bring your kids along (if you have any). Front engine is more forgiving if you are going to push the performance in the mountains or on the track. Reliable (from what I hear). Depends on what you are looking for, but I don't think the general Ferrari crowd thinks poorly of the model.

paulchua likes this.
  5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My first was an F430 but I loved my 2013 California 30 and now my (current) California T. If you want a convertible with a hardtop and want something a little more practical/comfortable to drive every day -- and to fly a little under the radar from the mid-engine cars -- it's a great choice. If you want an exotic car that is going to attract attention, turn heads everywhere, and be less practical overall (but still tractable as a daily), then an F430/458/488 might be a better choice.

People might say the California is "not a real Ferrari, it was envisioned first as a Maserati, etc." -- but get behind the wheel and you will forget all about that. I would recommend a 2013-14 California 30 or a California T, there were great improvements to each. The original California has become quite inexpensive, though.

Stercrazy, LARRYH and psych0hans like this.
  6. MaybeSomeday31

Feb 1, 2020
    thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Question about the F430 - I cannot remember off the top of my head but wasn't there an issue with the F430s, or an issue that they were/are prone to having that is a very expensive fix? I want to say something with the exhaust...

Would love a 458/488 but I think they are outpricing me right now, except for 458s with like 40k+ miles which scares me lol

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It is an incredible car for the money (I see them at $80k and dropping). It would not be my choice for that price and as a Ferrari but the intrinsic value is absolutely hard to pass on.

It depends what you want from a Ferrari.

paulchua and psych0hans like this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The F430 -- like any Ferrari -- has potentially expensive problems (as does the California). It is, after all, a Ferrari. The most common issue on the F430 is the factory headers developing cracks. They all do it eventually. Ferrari issued an updated header design, many cars had those replaced under warranty (before it expired). However, those ultimately cracked, as well. Some people like the Capristo aftermarket headers, or just the Capristo designed mounts, which allow the headers to move as they expand from the heat, which some people believe is the primary reason for the cracks to develop. The sign of cracked headers eventually will be some white dust in the engine compartment. You can have the headers smoke tested to see if they are leaking or not. There is some slim chance of a catastrophic failure with a cracked header, because Ferrari put small catalytic "pre-cats" inside the headers, and if they break, debris could, in theory, be ingested in to the engine. Not sure if that's ever actually occurred. Lots of info on the F430 forum here.

The F430s you are seeing in the $100k range are going to be F1 transmissions ... that also has some issues with clutch wear and other problems, you really need someone who knows the transmission to have it maintained properly and you want to check how worn the clutch is before purchasing. The cost to replace the clutch on the F1 is somewhat staggering, unless you are familiar with the cost of repairs to any Ferrari, in which case you just smile and write the check.

So, the headers and the condition of the F1 are the primary things to worry about with an F430. A six-speed manual on an F430, the price for those cars is much higher -- that is what I had first, so I have no experience with the F1 transmission, although I've driven an F430 spider with it and it was fine.

The California is known to have issues with a speed sensor buried inside the dual clutch transmission, that is a pretty costly repair. They made some changes to the transmission in 2013, which is another reason to try to get a California 30 -- that seems to have helped the problem but perhaps not completely eliminate it. The California T (2015-2018) does not seem to have that issue, although the cars are newer so perhaps it will crop up. The other thing to worry about with a California is the roof ... it is a complex mechanism, and you can have issues with some of the sensors, and it takes some time to sort through. Been there, done that with my 2013, my 2015 has been fine so far.

I wouldn't be too worried about a 458 with some miles, you'll pay near the bottom for the depreciated car, and they don't seem to mind having a lot of mileage on them; neither does the California. But you will definitely want to have a prepurchase inspection done on any Ferrari, and consider buying the factory New Power warranty with whatever car, at least for the first year, that will cover a lot of expensive components. At a cost, of course.

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    There's quite of few models that raise eyebrows from the supposed cognoscenti.

That said since you said caring about what others think is high on your list of buying a car, what are the elements for those other people are you are looking for?

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very true - @MaybeSomeday31 - what car do *you* love? What others think doesn't matter. Read on for another reason why.

Agreed 100%

I've learned every Ferrari (and car for that matter) will engender both positive and negative viewpoints. Even the most esteemed vehicles will garner snickers and peanut gallery comments from a certain segment.

One's car choice should satisfy one's tastes and wants foremost. I fear the OP needs to get out of the 'what other's think trap' - I say this not from a place of haughtiness, but my similar pattern and then understanding of this wisdom.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    430 - everything else is a waste of time if you care about an authentic ferrari experience.

12. MaybeSomeday31

Feb 1, 2020
    Very good points all around, and thank you all for your feedback (and thank you @vjd3 for the very in depth explanations re: mechanical issues).

Have you all noticed an increase in leverage as a buyer with the current market? I haven't followed the Ferrari market at all but have been watching lamborghinis and that market is flooded with up to 240 huracans listed yesterday and seems deals are getting better and better. That being said, would it be reasonable to negotiate a hefty chunk off the price of a given car and then tell them to include a year of the warranty on them? Obviously this is a generic question and the exact answer would depend on the exact car and dealer, but as a general trend would this be feasible?

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    F355?
    :)
    Yeah, I agree though, the 430 for full experience.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id sell my 430 before i sold my 355 and OP started out with a convertible which leans more towards the 430. also if someone is looking at the cars the OP listed its unlikely they're a buyer who is ok with engine out majors even though they are no big deal.

paulchua likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    well said @ttforcefed , good points.

ttforcefed likes this.
  16. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Some of older Ferrari fans believe that real Ferrari’s have 12 cylinders.
    I suggest you look at and drive a 550, 575 or 612. You might even find a 599 for a bit more.

paulchua likes this.
  17. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Also try a 456, you might be surprised!

paulchua likes this.
  18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK, and now for a biased view, get the Cali! :D
    Prices on NA Calis are insane, they're modern, reliable, and more than enough HP to get you grinning from ear to ear.
    Plus, they are as practical as an F-car can get.

Best advice above though is to drive as many as you can. You'll find the one that speaks to you.
    This is a test w/ no wrong answers. Just, whatever you do, when you get your Ferrari, drive the heck out of it.

T

paulchua likes this.
  19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Moved to appropriate forum section.

Kind regards,

Nuno.