348 - Is there a current solution for the 147338 Chain tensioner? | FerrariChat

348 Is there a current solution for the 147338 Chain tensioner?

Discussion in '348/355' started by KevZep, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I am currently ordering up parts for my major service, I have everything except this #147338 Chain tensioner.
    No longer available from Ferrari.
    Ricambi no longer sell a solution. (they suggested a company, I tried to contact several times without success)
    I can't find this part anywhere.

What are people doing currently for this situation?

I have however ordered a block of the correct material to make a replacement part, but not entirely sure how I would engineer it....Not sure if a milling machine would be the right way to do it or not.
    Perhaps its a case of getting an engineering place to copy the one which comes out to make a new one?

Anyway, thought I'd just post and see where it goes.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looks like a very simple part to make from scratch if that's your only option. Send me a drawing of the original and the stud/base of the original part and I could make it for you.

Qavion likes this.
  5. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Thanks for the offer, I live in New Zealand, so I'm on the other side of the world. Makes sense to try local first.
    I have a friend who's an engineer so we'll have a go at it first. It does look like a fairly straight forward part to make.

I thought I would try here first in case anyone was a step ahead of me

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  7. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
  8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    ernie likes this.
  9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    ernie, johnk... and 308 GTB like this.
  11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ernie and Wade like this.
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    @KevZep I have the CAD drawing of it, if you need it.

sjd

KevZep and Wade like this.
  14. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I asked Ricambi about the 147338 pad as it is listed as "not available" and they told me "we have no current solution" and never mentioned the kit.
    They also told me the oil pump chain tensioner was not available hence I found one in the UK.
    I think it has something to do with not being able to get anything out of Italy at the moment....Or perhaps they were busy that day who knows...

I guess I will have to buy the kit then.......I thought it was odd that something which needs replacing on a major service was "not available"...

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looking again at their website there's a "0" in the kit's price list for the pad. I'd call to make sure it's still included.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/tsb10-34-oil-pump-bearing-kit-532882.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

KevZep likes this.
  16. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Actually doing some digging here on Ricambi, if you look at that tensioner pad in the parts list there is no price next to it, if you search that part on Ricambi, it comes up not available, so I think when Ricambi say they aren't available as they told me the other day, then that applies to that kit as well, otherwise it would have a price next to it.
    I am sure they would have suggested the kit if it was available in that...
    But never mind, there are multiple solutions presenting themselves here, I am sure everything will work out great.

Wade likes this.
  17. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Wade likes this.
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    so there's two pads.

1. oil pump chain tensioner
    2. timing tensioner.

1. available, upgrade to the 360 style as noted (IIRC) as the parts list above.
    2. the pad is not available. You can make your own, or some are saying that rover one is the same...but I can't speak to the rover one.

sjd

19. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Yes I have got the Oil Pump drive tensioner on the way, the new superseded one.
    We'll probably make the timing chain tensioner pad from the drawing and the block of the correct material.
    I believe we are all set...

steved033 likes this.
  20. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I have had one off Grahams; not fitted yet.

And yes Maranello closed at the moment. I’ve got a few bits on order with them and they are thinking they will be open in May.

If it’s any help Superformance are currently open and going their usual blindingly quick shipping!

21. e21jason

e21jason Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I got the kit from Ricambi, and the pad from graham (possibly the last one) when i rebuilt the engine last year. I tired every source i could find in the US and Europe and no stock. I also got the drawing but it was easier to buy the pre machined pad rather than the the cost of making a one off.

22. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Yeah exactly what I am finding, Ricambi have no local stock for chain tensioners at all at the moment, they cant ship anything out of Italy because of the covid19 situation, but I found one in the UK so got it from there, just need a solution for the timing tensioner pad and I'm set, I know and engineer who can probably cut one for me, I have the correct block of material coming....
    I also reached out to see if we can get some more made from the last source, so we'll see.....

Ricambi America likes this.
  23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#23 Ricambi America, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    The tensioner block, IIRK is 'like' a Delrin material. Have you tried to contact Scuderia Rampante Innovations? They offer a more complete solution of the block, the mounting plate, and fixing screw. We'll have them again eventually.

The global supply chain for Ferrari/Maserati parts is quite inconsistent* at the moment, but that's not a permanent situation and I absolutely expect within a few weeks or so, everything should be moving back toward normal.

(* it isn't 100% stopped, by any means, it's just jumbled up... with customers, suppliers, dealers and resellers all swingingly around to find various bits. It's no different than any other supply chain on the planet right now. Heck, in my town, we couldn't even find the specific variety of PopTarts that in my house that we enjoy. The horror! Just like a Ferrari part that might not be available this instant, the temporary lack of cinnamon PopTarts in my town really doesn't matter in the global scheme of humanity)

TL/DR : contact Scuderia Rampante in Colorado for those tensioner pads :)

Qavion likes this.
  24. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Cinnamon Roll? My wife found a case (8 boxes) at Walmart online and it was delivered to our door.

Ricambi America likes this.
  25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Have Ferrari Parts.
    Will Trade.

Wade likes this.