How To Buy Ferrari from 2,000 miles away.. | FerrariChat

How To Buy Ferrari from 2,000 miles away..

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TigerAce, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    If a F-car you're interested is located 4 hours away by flying, and when you cannot make 10 hours of free time, (flying time plus the time to check) what can we do?

Is there any buying method you can advise? I thought of some, but not sure. Here's one of them:

Set up the price for buying. Set-up allowance money for repair if PPI revealed any problem (we’ll define what level will be considered as a problem), and this allowance may not be necessary as long as PPI turns out fine. Ship out the car to me at my cost to PPI. PPI will be done locally here, and I can check out your car. (decide what mileage can be added) If I like it, I’ll buy the car. If I don’t, the car will be returned to you by my expense. During the wait period, you will hold money order, but won’t cash unless the sale is completed. (how can a seller be stopped for cashing a check before the completion??)

This is assuming a seller & a buyer are willing to accept alternative way, okay?

I am wondering how exotic car buyers buy a cars not available in your area. Experienced buyers comment very welcomed.

Thanks

Yoshi

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    first, ask for help here. many of us would be happy to go do a visual on the car if we're close by.

second, you can have a PPI done remotely no problemo. ask here for good PPI shops near where the car is.

at the end of the day, buying long-distance, across state lines has some risk, but only you can make the cost-benefit tradeoff of your time.

doody.

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yoshi,

In my case, I bought my 328 from Steve Harris Imports. Before I flew to Salt Lake City, we agreed on a price (including trade-in's and shipping) assuming the car was what I expected it to be. I flew to SLC one Saturday morning. By noon I have checked out, test-driven, and bought the car. I flew back home (to St. Louis) in the afternoon the same day.

Although PPI was highly recommended I skipped it (and took a chance) bec. reliable sources told me the aforementioned dealer is very reputable. Cars they sell have had recent major service. I can tell you that I have no regrets to this day. I know where I'm getting my next fcar...

Ron

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The only problem IMHO is the part where he ships you the car and holds your bank draft/certified cheque.

Nobody would ever agree to that IMHO....I am a dealer and I would not. You can stop payment on certified cheques and report bank drafts stolen and get them cancelled in about 15 minutes. It's the old "know your customer" rule.

Get the PPI done somewhere in his area...everything else you mentioned seems doable.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Doody,
    Yes, "first" & "second" is doable. "third" is hard as I haven't seen this model, 512M, locally yet.

Ron328,
    I didn't do PPI on my previous purchase of 328, too since I bought it from the dealer, and knew it needed 30K service. Sean of S. Harris was very helpful but he just didn't have any 328 in stock then. I would definitely be comfortable working w/ them. Interesting thing: 328 I bought was originally sold by S. Harris!

Kds,
    Yes, I heard of this trick. Do you know any other payment method which is better? I thought of wiring 1/2 of the price, too, but either way, some degree of trust is necessary.

Thank you guys for advise!

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    where is the car ? Maybe some1 here knows a mechanic in the area who can do a PPi for you. Thats easy enough. Is the owner a dealer or private party ? I would suggest if its a private party you ask your lawyer if he knows anybody there who can set up an escrow account & hande the deal for you

7. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    William H. Thanks for the idea of escrow account! The car is in CA, and also in FL.

8. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I can check one out if it is not too far from Sarasota, Florida.

aehaas

you can email me at [email protected]

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thank you very much for your offer, AEHaas.
    FL 512M was sold already, as I just found out few hours ago.

Are you related to Rodney in Dallas?

Yoshi

10. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    No relations there, sorry.

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    wow, that was quick, AEHaas.
    Rodney is a big man w/ the passion of Italian food, I mean Italian car here. The head of Italian Car Club here.

I was just wondering. Again thanks for your offer!

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    what part of FL ? I am in Miami in law school, I can get you a lawyer down here if you need 1

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Where's the car in CA? I may be able to help.

14. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    William H & Edward,
    Thanks for your offer. I really don't know what part of FL, as the car was already sold when I checked yesterday.

I may ask your favor later, and will post the result of my search of F 12 cylinders!

Yoshi