Mystery Panel (Anyone Recognize This?) | FerrariChat

Mystery Panel (Anyone Recognize This?)

Discussion in '308/328' started by Salbones, Apr 26, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salbones

Salbones Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Celeste
    THE MYSTERY ACCESS PANEL.

Hi Everyone,
    I brought my 1985 308 GTS QV in for a tune-up service a couple of months ago just prior to winter storage. I hadn't looked in the trunk since I had it serviced but when I did last night, I discovered an access panel with two Tenax fasteners had been placed in there. (obviously by the service mechanic) I have attached a photo of the panel in question. While it does have the same type fleece covering as my rear compartment, I have no recollection of there being a panel of this design anywhere in my vehicle. There doesn't seem to be any panels missing either. I called the mechanic and he has no recollection of the panel or even where it came from. Soooo...Does anyone recognize this panel? Is it from some dark corner of the interior I've never seen?
    Also, if it did come from another car that was being serviced at the same time as mine, can anyone identify what vehicle it actually did come from?
    Thanks,
    Sal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I do not (unfortunately) have that panel, but I believe it might go on the right side of the truck, covering the area around the antenna.

3. Salbones

Salbones Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Celeste
    #3 Salbones, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Nope, That's not it. None of the luggage compartment panels are missing...Good guess though...

4. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I had virtually identical panels in the trunk of my 81 Euro, they covered the back of the tail lights

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ahhhhhhh I completely forgot about the tail light panels.

ferrariowner likes this.
  6. Salbones

Salbones Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Celeste
    #6 Salbones, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Nope.The tail-light panel is one long section with no fasteners. There are no missing panels in the luggage compartment. (But it does match the fabric exactly.) I can't seem to find the panel in any year of the 308 exploded view diagrams...

7. Salbones

Salbones Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Celeste
  8. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    My '84 GTSi QV has that panel. A left and right one that are used to cover the rear lights inside the storage compartment.
    Maybe that changed in later production models to a single long panel and a previous owner bought the wrong part?

9. Salbones

Salbones Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Celeste
    Thank you all for your input. You all were correct. My mechanic got back to me and one of his guys found the panel stuffed under the seat. He didn't know what it was either and placed it in my trunk. Apparently, my trunk interior was modified to accommodate the components of the stereo system (A CD Player and an Amp.) and the panels were removed to make room on either side of the compartment. There is carpet covering the entire rear of the compartment and looks complete...But I can see the male Tenax connectors protruding out just behind the tail-lights right up against the side of the wedged-in CD player. So I guess you were all correct. Unfortunately, it looks like he only found one, (The passenger side) and the other is lost. So my mystery is solved and I want to thank you all for the help. -Sal

10. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    FYI, Your luggage compartment diagram is for an early carbed 308, not a QV.

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  12. Salbones

Salbones Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Celeste
    Yeah, I realize that now. (That was also part of the confusion. ) Thanks for the information.

13. Salbones

Salbones Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Celeste
    Hey, if anyone knows where I might be able to get a driver's side panel, please let me know.