Others w/ Probs w/ Magnum Collision/Performance Auto Collis. trying to steal your car? (Atlanta, GA) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Others w/ Probs w/ Magnum Collision/Performance Auto Collis. trying to steal your car? (Atlanta, GA)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 911&F430, Dec 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Why so nasty? - why not try to help out a fellow Ferraristi?

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    You’re reading things that don’t exist, likely due to carrying your animosity over from politics section.

mentioned very early that warning others to not do business is a bad approach to getting the car and could make things much worse. Much safer to win a case and then post results.

he hasn’t updated so it’s just a question. Hopefully he has the car. If not, hopefully by now there’s a case and he will win it soon and have the car. It’s five months from the start so hopefully there is movement one way or the other.

INRange likes this.
  3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    You are asking a lawyer 'Why so nasty'? I think he took offense that the OP did not hire a lawyer essentially, and now wants to rub the OP's nose in it.

4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Not at all. Hoping he has the car.
    Most often the “warning about such and such” has no ramifications at all. But when it goes south people can face real legal headaches that go far past the initial problem they had.

5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    We have seen this before......when someone uses an on-line community to bash a service facility. I don't have a dog in this fight but the OP should have done his homework and hired an attorney at the first sign of trouble. He says he did hire one on the rennlist postings but who knows. Hard to tell without hearing the other side of the story. Just another drive by screaming injustice.

Statler was right.

11-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I am happy to report that I have retrieved my car from dishonest Magnum Collision. I'll share more details when I get a chance. Hopefully this will help others in the car community to be aware of the type of scam that I experienced and to avoid shops like Magnum Collision/Performance Auto Collision.

12-04-2019, 01:06 PM

ATL997.2

So as previously mentioned I did recover my car from dishonest Magnum Collision. I have to give the lion's share of the credit to my insurer Hagerty. Dishonest Magnum was going to steal my car using a well intentioned but flawed Georgia law. I said I would add more details when I had some time so here they are:

The scam seems to go like this (there could be other ways that they take advantage of people, but this is the one that I experienced): get someone's car in and then kill a bunch of time. After having their car for a couple months but not really accomplishing anything in the way of repairs present the customer with a significant change in terms that works in dishonest Magnum's favor (in my case, their intake paperwork said that you pay when you pick up your car. Later they told me I had to pay up front). If you accept the significant change in terms, that works great for dishonest Magnum. If you say "I'm not ok with that." and that you are going to take your car to a shop that operates in a more ethical and transparent way, then they will try to (figuratively) rape you on the way out the door in the form of a fraudulent bill. This will likely be in the form of "storage" fees and the like (remember, they've kept your car for a while by now) but they grossly violate their own posted storage fee policy (see photo of their sign earlier in this thread) as there were no storage fees due on my car per their posted sign. If you pay the fraudulent bill that they send you then that works great for dishonest Magnum. If you refuse to pay their ransom then that works great for dishonest Magnum as well b/c then they will just legally steal your car by filing for a lien based on the fraudulent bill. You can then either let them steal your car or sue them in court over the fraudulent bill, which will deprive you of your property even longer while you wait for the lawsuit to run it's course.

This post is getting a bit long so I'll have to add more later but the gist is this: once they have possession of your car they will exploit that to their maximum advantage. They aren't trying to be a good, upstanding ethical business. They just want to exploit you. Once they have possession of your car you have already lost so I would recommend avoiding them like the plague.

6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doesn't work that way in FL. If you dispute a repair shop bill in FL, you must post the bill $$$ at the local courthouse. You then have the legal authority to retrieve your car. You can then battle it out in court. Repair shops in FL are required to carry a bond. If you win in court, you are immediately paid ALL damages from either the shop's cash bond or the insurance company who guarantees their bond.

INRange likes this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I do not, but I would presume a variation on "theft."

8. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Are you an attorney with a specialization in this area? If so, in what state do you practice?
    Or are you otherwise an expert on this topic?

9. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    No doubt you will be happy to hear that the car has been recovered.

10. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Yes, got the strong impression that they were experienced at unfair and deceptive business practices.

11. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Was wondering the same thing.

12. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Thanks for finding that for me, my friend. Saved some time.

Re: "hearing the other side of the story" I actually have that in writing and could probably share it. Let me check. They put quite few untruths in it that would need to be addressed though.

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I wonder then what happened thereafter. Pretty hard to end up convicted guilty of stealing your own property. And not paying your bill might be considered a commercial dispute, not criminal. That said, I imagine there are some laws on the books to attempt to protect shops from this sorta thing.

14. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    My GOD. That's a LAW?

It sounds entirely too sane.

911&F430 and Ianjoub like this.
  15. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Obviously knowing what I know now about their deceptive business practices I wouldn't in a million years trust Magnum Collision/Performance Auto Collision with a car but you do bring up a good question regarding doing one's homework.

Before I took the car there what I knew was that the Magnum Collision arm of the business sponsored two of the main local car shows in Atlanta and that a friend had taken his car to Magnum several years before and was happy with his experience. (This was however under different ownership. Magnum now has the same ownership as Performance Auto Collision. Or "One team, two locations" as they call themselves. https://www.magnumcollision.com/one-team-two-locations/ .) I also wanted to support Magnum for supporting the local car community with their sponsorship of the local car shows. I didn't know at the time that the ownership of Magnum was now the same as that of Performance Auto Collision.

Magnum previously had a good reputation in the local car community and I didn't at the time have a reason to suspect that they had started mistreating people who trust them with some of their most prized possessions. From asking around in the car community I have learned that their reputation has gone downhill in recent years b/c of the unfair and deceptive business practices, but I didn't know that at the time I made the mistake of trusting them with my car. Obviously with 20/20 hindsight I would have asked around and researched them a lot more.

There is a certain amount of trust necessary between people for society to function. If we spent hours vetting every business we patronize every time we do business with them (b/c something could have changed since the last time you were there, right?) we would never get anything done. Unfortunately, there are those like the management of Magnum/Performance who take advantage of that trust.

willrace likes this.