Just purchased my First Ferrari. Wow! | FerrariChat

Just purchased my First Ferrari. Wow!

Discussion in '360/430' started by jag-oo-r, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Hey y'all:

I spent a part of the day today working through the details of an interstate purchase, complicated by logistics forced upon us by Covid.

This evening, I sat down and tried to capture how I am feeling. I don;t know if this will resonate with any other owners, or aspiring owners. But if there is an appropriate place for me to memorialize this, it must be here.

I’m going to tell you a story. It’s a story with a purpose, but we’ll come to that later.

This story starts in 1977. I was always fascinated…. Wait….

This story starts in 1970. I was born in the front seat of a car. Yeah, I imagine that probably had some influence on the eventual fascination I have had with cars.

My Dad was a car guy. That I was born in a '69 AMX was no accident. I remember a little red Cortina that he had before I was 5 years old. I remember a yellow Capri (the German one) that he had in the back yard for years. He’d talk about all the things he’d do to, and with it one day. My older brother was a car-guy, talking regularly about his favorites, which, as I recall, were typically Italian. By the time I was 11, I had the requisite Lamborghini Countach on my wall. White. Beautiful. The Raging Bull was a beast I didn’t really understand, but it spoke to me anyway, as it did every pubescent boy of the era.

I remember my brother explaining to me what he saw as the important differences between his superior Ferrari and my inferior Lamborghini. Let’s be clear: some would say that we lived on the wrong side of the tracks to have such aspirations; but countless youngsters the world over, from every background imaginable, had the same conversations, the same arguments; the same battle between we champions of the brands.

And then; 1984. The Ferrari Testarossa. The Testarossa. I’ll never forget the first time I saw it. Rossa Corsa (racing-red, to the uninitiated) with Tan Cuoio interior. Those unmistakable strakes on the sides. The wide hips and narrow front. It somehow had defined “muscular elegance”. And the name: Redhead. Just saying it correctly, rolling the ‘r’s and the staccato ‘t’ brought animation to conversation.

Down came the Countach, up went the Testarossa to its place of honor on my “west-side” bedroom wall.

My love affair extended to all things Italian. Pavarotti became the ONLY singer that mattered. When my brother went to be a missionary in Italy, Italian language became God’s tongue. Italian restaurants were my favorite, and women weren’t beautiful unless they sported the dark hair and fiery eyes that I associated with Italian Women. (Fortunately for me and the eventual love of my life, many women of other Latin nationalities have this in common). Even the years I spent racing Ducatis was an odd extension of my aspiration to all things Ferrari- ish.

The Ferrari became something more to me, of course. It transcended a mere car, or even an objet d’art or possession: it meant something. The tradition and history of Ferrari represented passion and effort; once an underdog, they quickly became the gorilla in racing circles. Or better: the Stallion. The sharp focus of Enzo making road cars ONLY to fund his racing. His famous quote that he was tired of building cars for young men, that only old men could afford. The uncompromising view of what a car should be became the cry of those moments where one stands unflinchingly and defies his detractors. And, it became just that for me; it became, in so many respects, the badge of what “success” meant for me. Not because success meant I was affluent, but rather that success meant I had achieved something without compromise. The few times I sat in a Ferrari as a young man, I’d smell the leather and feel the steering wheel, and say to myself “I’m from the wrong side of town for this”…. And then I’d stand, metaphorically, unflinchingly and say “that does not matter! I can do this too. One day, I will be able to do this”.

Ferrari is an aesthetic; more than visual, or auditory, or even tactile: Ferrari requires all senses to understand, perhaps including some which aren’t named. But there are some essential elements. Like Love, you don’t always know what it is, but you know it when you feel it. The sound a Ferrari must make as it shrieks past you… if it does not make you blush, then you do not yet understand. A Ferrari should inspire awe, and humility. Automotive perfection, if you will, can inspire the same awe and humility as Michael Jordan’s athletic perfection, or Freddie Mercury’s vocal perfection; these are things which transcend mortality and make us aware that we are experiencing the divine. A line from the movie “Gladiator” sums it up: “I did not know men could build such things”. Perhaps now you get a glimpse into why I cried at “Ford vs Ferrari”, but not where you’d expect; no, I shed tears when they walked into the back room at Ferrari and I visualized the history that was swelling from there.

Many times, over the years, I’ve doubted. I’ve wondered if I could do it. It no longer represented “success” for me, as I’d matured beyond that marker. But rather, it begged the question “can you do it?” And, many times, My amazing wife has told me “do it”. Each time she has “given her approval”, I’ve reflected at how irrational and immature it is for me to want it, and I’ve backed-out. The last several times this has happened, I’ve been frustrated with myself, and I’ve asked myself why I feel like I don’t “deserve” it. This was the wrong question of course, as nobody “deserves” anything like this. The right question should’ve been “what will things look like when you’ll allow yourself to do this?”

Today I found out. Today I know what things will look like when it’s time. Make no mistake: I’m sensitive to the impracticality of the decision. I’m grateful to my wife who supports it and even encouraged it, once she got a glimpse of what it means to me. I’m humbled to arrive at this moment in time. I’m in awe at the workmanship of the factory, and of the previous owner who loved this car and cared for it to a standard I will endeavor to emulate. Today, all of my senses are heightened, and I am made aware of the culmination of passion, and effort.

I’m telling you this story because there will be those who cannot understand; those who will judge me. I hope that I can live the ownership experience with enough grace and humility that this judgement will be transitory. And I’m telling you this story because I want my smile to be infectious. I want to share joy, even though the car itself won’t have that effect on anyone else. Perhaps my belief in dreams that come true will spread to others. Maybe my appreciation for my wife’s support will extend to continued pampering of her.

Come; help me celebrate a dream. Let me take you for a ride, if you’re interested. Let me explain to you the history, or the tradition. I’ll tell you about Pininfarina, and Enzo, and Dino. I’ll teach you some Italian words with a French accent.

Let me show my gratitude to the world for allowing me this honor.

Folks on F-Chat; I'll add what I can to the community here. Thanks for accepting me as a relatively poor sap, reaching for something great.

TR007, ScottS, Storms and 25 others like this.
  2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I got a few lines in.... what did ya get?

psych0hans, JaguarXJ6, catdog and 3 others like this.
  3. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Hahahaha... sorry.,....
    '06 F430 Spider F1

TR007, BLAMPEE, JRE and 4 others like this.
  4. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    Really very eloquently written!
    Firstly, many congrats to you and I hope the ownership experience lives up to all of the promise. I would guess that very many of us have similar histories and oddly share that sense of ‘I don’t deserve something like this’.

ZF123, ScottS and gsworld2014 like this.
  5. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Thanks very much for sharing your story, and congratulations on the 430!

gsworld2014 likes this.
  6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    A perfect and eloquently stated story. Thank you for posting it. Enjoy your new acquisition and keep your passion for all things beautiful in this life alive. Bravo!

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    congrats!!! awesome car. 430 encapsulates the ferrari experience perfectly. you will it beyond your wildest dreams.

8. mmyhorses

mmyhorses Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Coral Gables, FL - USA
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Eloquent briefing of the road some of us have gone through to get to this point, the support of our loved ones for our passions, and the mixed feelings of achievement, humility, and consciousness of what it entails. Cheers!

(where are you based?)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ScottS likes this.
  9. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Congrats but Pics man we need PICS!

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Welcome to the fun factory! Pics pls

11. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I stopped reading after "This story starts in 1970"

Congrats on the purchase! Hope it bring you many years of automotive bliss.

12. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    hahahaha. I get it. Reading's HARD!!!
    Just kiddin'. It's mostly gratuitous ramblings of a guy who doesn't know what else to do with all this.....

Salt Lake City, Utah. (Vicinity, anyway. I'm still on the "Wrong Side of the tracks". These are my people, and I am their King ;-) )

Thanks to all y'all.
    I really thought that the comments about the nice guy who owned the car previous to me, and who cared for her so well, might've given a hint; it's a known F-Chat member's car. But I'm not sure if it's my place to make an announcement on his behalf.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Congrats! You will appreciate the Kline exhaust! :)

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nice car!!
    Enjoy!

15. dz22

dz22 Rookie

Beautiful and congrats. I'll be in the market for an F430 sometime in the near future. Can't wait for the day to come.

16. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Beautiful and congratulations. My wife has had an 08 430 for about 6 years. Drives it everywhere. It has been terrifically reliable and fun to drive. I hope that you enjoy your car in good health.

JRE and jag-oo-r like this.
  17. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Congrats! Beautiful car, well written article.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Awww damn....that explains the smell in that used AMX my Dad bought....

nsxbill likes this.
  19. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Big Congrats!!!!! Nice write up (I read the whole thing)... This resonates with me as my Latino wife encouraged me to pull the trigger and get a 2001 360 coupe almost ten years ago. I have since sold it about three years ago but having owned such a marvelous machine fills such a wonderful spot. Never thought I would have and enjoy. I was lucky to drive it on Summit Point, and Sebring tracks. These Stallions are suppose to be driven, so take them out and let them run!!!!!!

Enjoy to the max!!!!!!!

jag-oo-r likes this.
  20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Congrats Dan!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Mr. Dan S / jag-oo-r is the proud new owner of my 2006 F430 Spider 1.
    Soon she will be on her way to her new owner. And I know Dan S will take care of her.

I took very very good care of this car (all my cars actually I treat as family) and I wish I can keep her but its time to find her a new owner as I am ready to try another Ferrari.

I read your first post and its very well written.
    The only thing I wanted to add is:
    • Lets live our life always to the fullest as life is too short and we never know when it will end. I have friends younger than me (I'm 61) that expired already unexpectedly. They never got to enjoy their hard earned money as they were waiting for full retirement age.
    • Never worry about what others may think or say. It's your life, live it how you want it. They too can live theirs how they want it & fulfill their dreams.
    • Remain happy, feeling blessed and humble.
    A wise man told me once when I was young which always stuck to me - Treat other people how you want to be treated yourself and life will be very good to you.
    Worked for me since then. I feel very blessed to be able to retire at 61 & retire very comfortably, all through hard work.

In case some of you did not see my other post, just last week I replaced all the ignition coils on my F430 preventively. I wanted to make sure she's in tip top shape for the next owner.

Here's a short 1.5 minute video I created.

All the best to all of you and please be safe.

Dan L.

21. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Congratulations !!! :)

jag-oo-r likes this.
  22. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    That's a very lucky Ferrari to find YOU!!! Enjoy!

jag-oo-r likes this.
  23. Luano Nomellini

Feb 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luano Nomellini
    I am negotiating on a 2008 F430 Rosso w/tan interior. I can totally relate to your story. I was in Lucca Italy when I was 13 yers old and a red Dino went by and that vision has stayed in my head for 47 yrs.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Stealthssfc, Extreme1 and jag-oo-r like this.
  24. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Quit negotiating and DO IT ALREADY! haha

My "negotiations", once I'd selected the car, lasted about 10 seconds. Hehe. But the seller made it easy because he'd already priced the car fairly.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  25. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    You lucked out. Prior owner / owners replaced ashtray with CF cup holder.