Conical flywheel surface – what to do? | FerrariChat

Conical flywheel surface – what to do?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lars Ljungstrom, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Hi friends,
    Anybody who knows what to do if the flywheel contact surface against the clutch has become very slightly conical (more worn towards the centre), instead of spending a fortune on a new flywheel (mine has recently been restored inside by a workshop). My car has a twin plate clutch.
    Thanks in advance for any tips,
    Lars :)

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    This is how the flywheel and the clutch pressure plates are originally fabricated so your flywheel is fine. These are the measurements I have taken on my twin clutch that had done only 12k miles (the fabrication machining lines were still visible on the plate surfaces so practically no wear):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lars Ljungstrom likes this.
  3. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks a lot for your interesting answer! I´ve forwarded it to the workshop and look forward to hearing what they´ll say. I´ll keep you updated.
    Thanks,
    Lars:)

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The reason why I removed my clutch after only 12k miles was oil leak pass the triple seals (causing some clutch slipping) and loss of some flywheel grease. The clutch discs were contaminated with gearbox oil, thus the slippage. All I did was wash the flywheel and the pressure plates thoroughly and "scotch-bright" some shiny spots created by the slippage. Assembled with new clutch discs and the clutch now operates perfectly.

I believe that the flywheel and the pressure plates are slightly dished/domed to provide more smooth and gradual transition during clutch engagement. If completely flat, it may cause some clutch shudder during engagement.